HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Buying from overseas - shipping, info and tips

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #16

TVs are not so expensive in Europe... the essence of the buying overseas is that
- there is potential money to be saved
BUT
understand the risks
- breakage
- voltage (USA)
- warranty
- shipping costs

You decide if these are worth the potential savings.
Thanks!

Which place is cheapest irregardless of shipping cost?
USA, Singapore or Europe?
phey_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #17

i ve done some comparing. USA still cheaper
zulkanaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #18

i ve done some comparing. USA still cheaper
I think so too, excluding everything... if you'll just buying the TV, USA still the cheapest...
phey_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #19

Are you able to change the FM tuning to 0.1Mhz?

petetherock - based on ur request, will share my experience.

first I bought my bose v35 home theater. it was sold at 7.5k sgd. after hunting in amazon, it came to about 4.35k sgd. then hunted high and low at ebay with good seller rating(100%), shipped to singapore thru comgateway(include taxes), i spend 4k SGD flat. the good thing in this deal was the device is dual voltage and international warranty.

the next big recent deal was sharp 80" 3d tv(not available in singapore, so warranty is only valid in US). it was a big risk buying this tv, as even delivery within US had damaged screens.

searched high and low on several websites and finally got a good deal in ebay for 4.3K USD. then shipped to singapore thru comgateway(include tax) was 1.4k USD. my total spend was 7.4k SGD. the shipping was expensive not due to weight, but size. DHL requested for tv to be crate, which i rejected. as there was crating cost and additional weight cost. the shipping could have been cheaper if i used a freight forwarder, for which i have no contact. also, DHL refunded me my insurance for potential damage item, however it was still protected under missing item/lost.

the tv arrived safely with no damage screen. was this deal worth--YES.
june GSS, sharp 70" 2011 model was sold at 7.5k and I got a 80" 2012 model at 7.4k. warranty is an issue. so was the voltage. but got a gd deal at craiglist for a gd transformer.
shir123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #20

A/V receivers

Hi guys,

Do you all have any experience importing A/V receivers from the US? Is there anything I should look out for?

The price diff between here and the US is some $400-500. But factoring in GST and the lack of warranty, risk of damage, I'm still debating if it's worth it.

But what is disappointing here is that newer models have already been released but they are still not sold here!

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!
autumnsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #21

i understand the problem....u cant tune to stations on even no.s right?

i updated the v35 firmware. the local ATLAS tech say, when u update the firmware, place the remote ontop of the bose console, as the remotes firmware will get updated as well.
ambasnakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #22

Hi guys,

Do you all have any experience importing A/V receivers from the US? Is there anything I should look out for?

The price diff between here and the US is some $400-500. But factoring in GST and the lack of warranty, risk of damage, I'm still debating if it's worth it.

But what is disappointing here is that newer models have already been released but they are still not sold here!

Appreciate any advice. Thank you!
i bought a my bose home theater from ebay brand new. as for bose, it carries international warranty...so its a gd gamble. and in 2 mths, it did became faulty. and i got the set replaced locally.
ambasnakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
Master Member

ambasnakeman

I am surprised by your experience of imported TVs receiving Starhub channels. The frequency allocations for various channels based on PAL used here are different from that of the NTSC in USA. When you tune the sets, are the channel nos shown on your TV different from that indicated by Starhub?
Any comment?
mrsun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
Master Member

starhub set top box uses hdmi/component which works with any TV.
Many thanks for the clarification.
mrsun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

i bought a my bose home theater from ebay brand new. as for bose, it carries international warranty...so its a gd gamble. and in 2 mths, it did became faulty. and i got the set replaced locally.

Did you produce receipt from overseas retailer or how did you show proof?
tekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #26

bros, due to price, i'm considering of buying a tv (plasma/LED) from the US as the prices seem better than SG

Would like to check if there are any issues to take note e.g. what do i need to buy to convert the voltage; will tuner be a problem for local channels (from antenna, miotv)?

Thanks.

[/SIZE]
grandmaximus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #27

bros, due to price, i'm considering of buying a tv (plasma/LED) from the US as the prices seem better than SG

Would like to check if there are any issues to take note e.g. what do i need to buy to convert the voltage; will tuner be a problem for local channels (from antenna, miotv)?

Thanks.
If direct antenna in from cable point u will have problem. If u r using starhub or Singtel set top box then it will be fine. Because the antenna will be connected to the set top box n then HDMI in to the tv.
avsacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #28

Thanks.
look here for my experiences on shipping from amazon, voltage convertors, antenna, etc.

Black Friday Amazon 60" Plasma Hoot
anabolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #29

look here for my experiences on shipping from amazon, voltage convertors, antenna, etc.

Thanks bros!

[/SIZE]
grandmaximus2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #30

Hi anabolic bro, thanks for sharing your experience. You were very brave to take such high risk in buying such a huge item from the US.

Would like to learn from you more:

1. Shipment from Amazon to Borderlinx/CGW usually no problem? 100% safe?
2. So before shipment reach Borderlinx/CGW from Amazon, must inform Customer Service (Borderlinx/CGW) that shipment is a TV and is extremely fragile? I heard sometimes they repack at their (Borderlinx/CGW) warehouse?
3. Is the courier company (like DHL, FedEx, UPS etc.) involved when damage claims are initiated?
4. May I know the total actual shipping cost (plus GST + everything) for your LG 60PV450 60" plasma that you ordered from Amazon (about 110 pounds = 50kg?)? You mentioned that the shipping calculator puts shipping as USD$280 (before discount).
5. During your purchase of the item, you have no intention to wall mount? Cos' you did not mention about buying the wall mount.
6. So your next purchase item (from Amazon) if the buying bug hits again should be 85 - 100 inch? Haha!

Thanks!
Kopi Gao is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.