Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
Channel U HD is on StarHub TV Channel 107. (It is actually placed on Channel 975 but it is a 'hidden' channel)

It takes over the original SD feed channel. If this is the case, then I am expecting the other Mediacorp channels to do the same on StarHub.

Currently the channel number of Mediacorp HD channels on StarHub are way too far apart

Channel 5 - SD102, HD155 (Channel 155 was previously HD5 from 2007 to 2013 which is the DVB-T version)
Channel 8 - SD103, HD154
Suria - SD104, HD116 (Channel 116 was previously 8-on-Demand, a paid VOD Mediacorp channel which ceased in 2014)
Vasantham - SD105, HD156
Channel NewsAsia - SD106, HD184
Channel U - SD107, HD107
okto - SD108, HD183

With this Channel U HD's implementation, it is expected that the other Mediacorp channels to do the same on StarHub STB. Earlier in 2013 they mentioned that due to IMDA's ruling of FTA TV channels shown on Pay TV platforms, both the SD and HD version have to be carried by them. But for Singtel, they only carried the HD feed, so I guess StarHub is planning to do the merging of the respective SD and HD channels in 1 channel number.

StarHub STB detects the HD signals by putting the HD feed on a random channel at the 900+ position, then redirects them to the SD channel number. Channel U SD is on 107, the HD feed is on 975, so means when the user enters number 107, it redirects to 975 but display still showing 107 on the EPG. However, entering 975 does not work as they blocked those 'out of range' channel numbers to common users.

my DVB-C STB's Ch 107 remains ChU SD & Ch 975 is ChU HD~ ya, my box can enter 975~

also i realised the soft subtitle on ChU SD actually looks better than Ch U HD~ :s22:

Ch107, ChU SD
24bvr6v.jpg

Ch975, ChU HD
2vv2uer.jpg

DVB-T2, ChU HD
2130xhl.jpg

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi experts, I'm planning to buy a cheap stb to try on my old tv, there's many models in qoo10 now, may I know which is the best bet to buy?

Ottoke

Reaction score
my DVB-C STB's Ch 107 remains ChU SD & Ch 975 is ChU HD~ ya, my box can enter 975~

also i realised the soft subtitle on ChU SD actually looks better than Ch U HD~ :s22:

Ch107, ChU SD
24bvr6v.jpg

Ch975, ChU HD
2vv2uer.jpg

DVB-T2, ChU HD
2130xhl.jpg

The subtitles from the HD feed on most boxes are pixelated and stretched. Only the subtitles output from Singtel TV STBs and the latest HD Samsung STB from StarHub are clear, in HD and original size.

andrewkb

Reaction score
Need some advise on getting a DVB-T2 box as my TV does not support the new broadcast standard.

I do not have any SH setup box and currently taking signal from the starhub wall connector. I've heard that I should be using DVB-C to continue receiving free TV broadcast from the starhub wall connector. In this case, I do not need to get a DVB-T2 and connect up a connector.

Just want to verify if this is true ? As everywhere seems to advertise DVB-T2 and where can I get a DVB-C set-top box ?

Thanks !

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advise on getting a DVB-T2 box as my TV does not support the new broadcast standard.

I do not have any SH setup box and currently taking signal from the starhub wall connector. I've heard that I should be using DVB-C to continue receiving free TV broadcast from the starhub wall connector. In this case, I do not need to get a DVB-T2 and connect up a connector.

Just want to verify if this is true ? As everywhere seems to advertise DVB-T2 and where can I get a DVB-C set-top box ?

Thanks !

Do note that DVB-C set top boxes are more costly and harder to find. DVB-C is only better if you have an older TV that supports it but not DVB-T2 and don't wish to get a DVB-T2 box.

andrewkb

Reaction score
Do note that DVB-C set top boxes are more costly and harder to find. DVB-C is only better if you have an older TV that supports it but not DVB-T2 and don't wish to get a DVB-T2 box.

How do know if my TV supports DVB-C (my TV is >10yr old Sony Bravia LCD) ? More concern about not wanting to run additional antenna and potentially poor signal as I stays on low floor. As much as possible, I'll like to tap the Starhub port from the wall. BTW will Starhub encrypt the signal and not allowing us to use it in future ?

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do know if my TV supports DVB-C (my TV is >10yr old Sony Bravia LCD) ? More concern about not wanting to run additional antenna and potentially poor signal as I stays on low floor. As much as possible, I'll like to tap the Starhub port from the wall. BTW will Starhub encrypt the signal and not allowing us to use it in future ?

Check your model specifications online. Usually you can check if they mention DVB-C but do note that quite a number of Samsung models in Singapore blocks DVB-C, probably due to some agreement with Starhub. It's not illegal, just not supported. Doubt Starhub will encrypt, but note that there are rumours that the cable network may be discontinued after 2020 or later as Starhub moves to TV over fibre.

You can try plugging it to the SCV socket and tuning it. If your TV supports DVB-C you should see the Mediacorp digital channels

Last edited:

andrewkb

Reaction score
Check your model specifications online. Usually you can check if they mention DVB-C but do note that quite a number of Samsung models in Singapore blocks DVB-C, probably due to some agreement with Starhub. It's not illegal, just not supported. Doubt Starhub will encrypt, but note that there are rumours that the cable network may be discontinued after 2020 or later as Starhub moves to TV over fibre.

You can try plugging it to the SCV socket and tuning it. If your TV supports DVB-C you should see the Mediacorp digital channels

Checked my manual ... .it supports only UHF/VHF ... guess that's only analogue tuner :(

castafarian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

bought one each of the above from the same seller and received 2 x K2 boxes instead. One of which was a lemon set. :(

compared to the NMS stb, the PVR recording is not encrypted and can be viewed on PC.
i noticed that if I don't shut down properly, the scanned channels will be lost and have to auto search the next time i power up

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bought one each of the above from the same seller and received 2 x K2 boxes instead. One of which was a lemon set. :(

compared to the NMS stb, the PVR recording is not encrypted and can be viewed on PC.
i noticed that if I don't shut down properly, the scanned channels will be lost and have to auto search the next time i power up

Contact seller and demand a replacement unit, don't confirm delivery until matter is settle.

As for the part on scanning channels, as long as it indicate that all channels are saved it should be alright. Not sure what you meant by "shut down properly"?

castafarian

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Contact seller and demand a replacement unit, don't confirm delivery until matter is settle.

As for the part on scanning channels, as long as it indicate that all channels are saved it should be alright. Not sure what you meant by "shut down properly"?
placed an exchange request to seller on qoo10.
must confirm delivery in order to place request, no?

shut down properly => the led display shows nothing, except the red led

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
placed an exchange request to seller on qoo10.
must confirm delivery in order to place request, no?

shut down properly => the led display shows nothing, except the red led

By not confirming delivery, you're basically withholding payment to seller. Contact seller via the normal meant or simply email him at 916016712@qq.com

Hmm, don't recall that I need to shut down properly on my set.

Edit: Power off STB when it's on and when power on, it return back to the same channel. In short, channel settings remain intact.

Last edited:

sillyb0y

Master Member
Reaction score

Casta, which link or box u buy then DOA?

u0206397

Reaction score
There are 2 ways to "off" the stb:

• using the red button on the remote. The red led lights up indicating that the stb is on standby mode. The stb still consumes a small amount of electricity to retain memory of all the settings.
  • switch off the power supply at the wall outlet or pull out the plug. The red led won't be lit. Because there is no supply to sustain the memory, after a while all previous setting will be lost.

It's common that people switch off the wall outlet socket / plug for safety and save electricity if away for extended period.

Can't the manufacturer add something like CMOS battery to save the settings? Want to cut cost until like that? :eek:

Is this problem only for the cheap K2 and K3 STB?

Do the more expensive $100 branded STBs from Akira, AC Ryan and NewMedia Solutions have the same problem too?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
It's common that people switch off the wall outlet socket / plug for safety and save electricity if away for extended period.

Can't the manufacturer add something like CMOS battery to save the settings? Want to cut cost until like that? :eek:

Is this problem only for the cheap K2 and K3 STB?

Do the more expensive $100 branded STBs from Akira, AC Ryan and NewMedia Solutions have the same problem too?
I was too hasty to post without verifying. AC Ryan and Draco do not have this problem.

Not sure if K2 and K3 have this problem. Any care to verify?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was too hasty to post without verifying. AC Ryan and Draco do not have this problem.

Nope, both model doesn't have this problem. I doubt any STB have this issue else who would want to buy given that it doesn't even retain the settings.

u0206397

Reaction score

Nope, both model doesn't have this problem. I doubt any STB have this issue else who would want to buy given that it doesn't even retain the settings.

Thanks for sharing.

It is ridiculous if the STB has to be re-tuned every time the power is turned off. :s22:

ntec66

Reaction score
anyone tried this two U2C box, build looks better, one with more buttons and cost slightly more.

4RbyOPw.png

NS9dzLV.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.