Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Maybe still have to wait till IMDA complete and conclude the DTV signal measurements exercise by end of Nov....

I rarely watch Mediacorp programs. Seem to me that since this year or so, there isn't any mention of DTV switch-off on TV or in the media... all these awareness programs suddenly just stopped (correct me if I am wrong)... except for the 1 roadshow per weekend per month, which I think is inadequate.....

For housing estates that was roll-out as early as 2014... these households received info mailers on DTV, but that was more then 2 years back, will they still remember they receive such info and what was the contents about?

Those 2 videos broadcasted in 2014/2015 so far only emphasized on the benefits of DTV (like HD wow), nothing about the consequence of Analog switch-off!

Therefore, 2~3 months before switch-off, I would expect a final Analog Switch-off reminders to be push out aggressively on all media platforms and with supporting collateral info booklets/letters to all households.... however before all this could happen, there should be a commitment for an exact ASO date.

( ...... I remembered some elderly even when told that the 2G mobile network will be switched off, they still strongly believe the gov will not do that to them and refused to do anything, and see what happen....)

Who told u? Many people still thinking it will be extended. So far no confirmation of the switching off.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Whats the difference between a $100 STB and a $30 China STB? Is it bcos the $100 STB provides more feature or longer life?

Some users mentioned in this post that a normal China STB from Qoo10 can last for quite long, I would really like to know the experiences of those who are using branded STB(Draco, NMS, Uraku, etc). Is it simple to use, durable(last for 1yr), any issues?

Also, is the quality of the TV show solely affected by the antenna only? or could the STB affect the quality?
Go qoo get the small square shape one.. I think model is k7... Cheap and good. Can top up get a active antenna at $8 if I not wrong.. TV box abt $25..dun know now price up or not.. Seller is sin-...

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the video will freeze whenever the refrigerator door was open/close or when turn off and on lighting?
Using TBS5281 Dual Tuner USB Box and DVB Dream. As I watch both channel 8 and channel U in separate video screen using DVB Dream software, I noticed only CH 8 video will freeze but not CH U.
Seems to be caused by some interference.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the video will freeze whenever the refrigerator door was open/close or when turn off and on lighting?
Using TBS5281 Dual Tuner USB Box and DVB Dream. As I watch both channel 8 and channel U in separate video screen using DVB Dream software, I noticed only CH 8 video will freeze but not CH U.
Seems to be caused by some interference.

check your signal level and quality.

u0206397

Reaction score
Go qoo get the small square shape one.. I think model is k7... Cheap and good. Can top up get a active antenna at $8 if I not wrong.. TV box abt $25..dun know now price up or not.. Seller is sin-...

I think there's a catch. These cheap China STB have a tendency to overheat and die quite fast, if you use it frequently or for long period of TV watching.

You may need to install a custom heatsink to make the STB last longer, which means opening up the box and fiddling with the electronic components inside. Not comfortable for everyone though unless you're a seasoned hardware tinkerer or engineer.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think there's a catch. These cheap China STB have a tendency to overheat and die quite fast, if you use it frequently or for long period of TV watching.

You may need to install a custom heatsink to make the STB last longer, which means opening up the box and fiddling with the electronic components inside. Not comfortable for everyone though unless you're a seasoned hardware tinkerer or engineer.

Majority of today electronic device are MIC and these apply to branded STB as well. Can't comment if the branded one will outlast those cheapo STB as I don't have any to compare. Anyway, these cheapo one are meant to use and throw since they are so inexpensive to begin with.

As for the replacement heatsink, just get any of those available in ebay will do, I have posted the dimension before. Also there is no need to tinker with the electronic components as mostly are SMT type.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe still have to wait till IMDA complete and conclude the DTV signal measurements exercise by end of Nov....

I rarely watch Mediacorp programs. Seem to me that since this year or so, there isn't any mention of DTV switch-off on TV or in the media... all these awareness programs suddenly just stopped (correct me if I am wrong)... except for the 1 roadshow per weekend per month, which I think is inadequate.....

For housing estates that was roll-out as early as 2014... these households received info mailers on DTV, but that was more then 2 years back, will they still remember they receive such info and what was the contents about?

Those 2 videos broadcasted in 2014/2015 so far only emphasized on the benefits of DTV (like HD wow), nothing about the consequence of Analog switch-off!

Therefore, 2~3 months before switch-off, I would expect a final Analog Switch-off reminders to be push out aggressively on all media platforms and with supporting collateral info booklets/letters to all households.... however before all this could happen, there should be a commitment for an exact ASO date.

( ...... I remembered some elderly even when told that the 2G mobile network will be switched off, they still strongly believe the gov will not do that to them and refused to do anything, and see what happen....)
Agree with you. Many people just do not care at all. It will be good to keep the analogue Tv as it is.

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any good quality/ well built TV boxes for recommendations that are long lasting?:)

Tot most TV boxes nowadays all made in China...:s13::s12:

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Well there's always a cheap and big laptop cooler that you can just use the USB port of the cheapo MIC STB.
No need to really change to heatsink. or can get a small USB clip fan. or those free 'xiaomi' fan that is plug and spin type....

For me, i just elevate it for more air flow around it.
Use it for about 4~10 hours a day. No issue.

And yes, if i have a hairdryer plugged and used near the STB, will get bad interference. Totally cannot watch.

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
check your signal level and quality.

Signal level and quality is good, just don't know why only with CH 8 HD only.
Like just now, turn on shaver charging and CH 8 video freeze but CH U HD still running ok. Maybe I should look into home electrical thingy.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
One reason why set top boxes (with power supply adaptor if any) and tv receivers approved by IMDA is more expensive is that they are tested to the local electrical safety standard against overheating which may result in fire damage, or worse still, electrocution.

You have to weigh the risk of using the cheaper alternatives against the peace of mind offered by approved ones.

Last edited:

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One reason why set top boxes (with power supply adaptor if any) and tv receivers approved by IMDA is more expensive is that they are tested to the local electrical safety standard against overheating which may result in fire damage, or worse still, electrocution.

You have to weigh the risk of using the cheaper alternatives against the peace of mind offered by approved ones.

No issue as i have a fire extinguisher at home, and turned off (TV and STB) mains when not in use.

Your worries should be better used on those E-scooters.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
No issue as i have a fire extinguisher at home, and turned off (TV and STB) mains when not in use.

Your worries should be better used on those E-scooters.
lol, if you think you know what you are doing, that's your choice...

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is just a logo. IMDA do not/will not give you any ensurance anyway.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Is just a logo. IMDA do not/will not give you any ensurance anyway.
The Singapore Technical Specification for Integated Receiver Decorder defines the requirements for the Integrated Receiver Decoder (IRD) functionality which may be incorporated as a standalone module such as receiver box, an Integrated Digital Television (IDTV) or any other similar device intended for use with the second generation Digital Terrestrial Television broadcasting system (DVB-T2). The requirements for advanced features such as Personal Video Recorders (PVRs) and interactive services are not included in the scope of the Specification.

Quote from page 3 of the Specification:

2 General Requirements

2.1 Power Supply

The DVB-T2 IRD may be AC powered or DC powered. For AC powered equipment, the Specification
shall be complied with when operating from an AC mains supply of voltage, 230V ± 10% and
frequency, 50 Hz ± 2%. Where external power supply is used, e.g. AC adaptor, it shall not affect the
capability of the equipment to meet the Specification.

2.2 Safety Requirements

The DVB-T2 IRD shall be tested for compliance with the International Electrotechnical Commission IEC 60065 [2] safety standards.

2.3 Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Requirements

The DVB-T2 IRD shall comply with §5.3, §5.6 and §5.7 of ISO/IEC CISPR13 [3] or equivalent based
on ISO/IEC CISPR 22 [4].

Source: IMDA

Last edited:

daylight

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any one know why CNA signal is poorer than the rest of the free-to-air channels.
my CNA always signal loss while ch8, ch5 no issues.

i just bought new tv with daiyo eu1702 antenna place below the tv. my tv is wall-mounted.
does position of the antenna affect the signal ??

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Love it when i can add people to ignore list.

I like my choice. i do my way. i am an adult, and i've done my homework and stuff.

anyway, IMDA approve one single piece or batch of items, not test EVERY single piece of equipment.

IMDA can't even make Telco give out FREE CAller-ID.

It's like who would opt out caller-id if it's a free service.

And if you notice, Number retention is a Service on your contract, thou it's Free.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
any one know why CNA signal is poorer than the rest of the free-to-air channels.
my CNA always signal loss while ch8, ch5 no issues.

i just bought new tv with daiyo eu1702 antenna place below the tv. my tv is wall-mounted.
does position of the antenna affect the signal ??
Yes, position of antenna may affect signals. Try moving the antenna around, including inclining the antenna at different angles, to get the best overall signal for different channels. Use the tuner's indicator for signal intensity and picture quality as a guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.