Guy selling TV from US with cheap price. Reliable?

FljpFl0p

Reaction score
I found a guy on gumtree (there's another one too but didn't contact him) selling Samsung and LG TVs from US at extremely cheap price, e.g. LG 49UB8200, which is the US version of the UB820T in Singapore is only S$650 (technically he's selling at the correct price since TV price in Singapore are marked up too much).

I asked him about the compatibility since US use different sockets and has a voltage of 110v while Singapore is 220v, but he said there's no issue, don't even need a transformer(!?).

He said there will be delivery and I can test it, if I don't like it I can reject. But then the payment is through bank transfer instead of cash on delivery (I actually didn't ask whether the payment is before or after the delivery).

I'm very skeptical about the whole thing. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Some of his ads if anyone wants to take a look:
http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...OS-SMART-UHD-IPS-LED-4K-TV-W0QQAdIdZ626826033
http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...-HD-1080p-Smart-HDTV-120Hz-W0QQAdIdZ626825483
http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...s-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-Smart-TV-W0QQAdIdZ626825396

Last edited:

Piranacon

Reaction score
I found a guy on gumtree (there's another one too but didn't contact him) selling Samsung and LG TVs from US at extremely cheap price, e.g. LG 49UB8200, which is the US version of the UB820T in Singapore is only S$650 (technically he's selling at the correct price since TV price in Singapore are marked up too much).

I asked him about the compatibility since US use different sockets and has a voltage of 110v while Singapore is 220v, but he said there's no issue, don't even need a transformer(!?).

He said there will be delivery and I can test it, if I don't like it I can reject. But then the payment is through bank transfer instead of cash on delivery (I actually didn't ask whether the payment is before or after the delivery).

I'm very skeptical about the whole thing. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Some of his ads if anyone wants to take a look:
http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...OS-SMART-UHD-IPS-LED-4K-TV-W0QQAdIdZ626826033
http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...-HD-1080p-Smart-HDTV-120Hz-W0QQAdIdZ626825483
http://singapore.gumtree.sg/c-Stuff...s-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-Smart-TV-W0QQAdIdZ626825396

I wonder if he is quoting you based on the fact that the stocks are already here in Singapore or if they are still in US. If still in US, I dont 'know if there is still an additional payment of import tax but definitely there will be a 7% GST.

There is one seller in Qoo10 selling TV that are from US. He only adds delivery charge but makes no mention if there is required payment of import taxes and GST.

Furthermore, TV from US means it should not be under warranty. That will be rather risky, isn't it?

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LOL TS u noob ah. but okay lah. fool and his money always part

petetherock

Reaction score
Caveat emptor....
If it's too cheap to be true, oh well, please go ahead and find out, then let us know :)

FljpFl0p

Reaction score
LOL TS u noob ah. but okay lah. fool and his money always part

Why are you trying to bash me? I haven't bought anything yet. It's a good thing I brought this up because no one seems to have any experience with this.

Btw, he said it has 3 years local warranty, which begs the question: how is that even possible?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Bank transfer? No way.

It's either cash on delivery, or nothing
Ya, smells like a scam. Collect money and disappear.

In any case, the tv set will be incompatible to Singapore TV system. NTSC verses our PAL. Voltage not likely a problem. Nowadays most electrical appliances rated from 100v ~230v.

Last edited:

Piranacon

Reaction score
Why are you trying to bash me? I haven't bought anything yet. It's a good thing I brought this up because no one seems to have any experience with this.

Btw, he said it has 3 years local warranty, which begs the question: how is that even possible?

Yes you are right. Its from US, how can it even qualify for local warranty?

At least if you buy from an established retailer and the item has issues you still can get recourse. This kind of fly by night seller if you get problem item mostly likely cannot find seller already.

Too suspicious, best to avoid.

lockks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why dun u ask him directly and check with local lg about the warranty?

trojanguy

Reaction score

U just answered your stupid question

Piranacon

Reaction score
U just answered your stupid question

I thought Bro Fjipflop brought up something interesting for discussion. After all the prices are indeed cheaper. Some forumers might just want to try their luck and risk it.

Don't think there is need to be so hostile...

lockks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought Bro Fjipflop brought up something interesting for discussion. After all the prices are indeed cheaper. Some forumers might just want to try their luck and risk it.

Don't think there is need to be so hostile...

U.S. TV are cheaper so it's possible. Maybe the seller has a way to ship over for free.

Hcookie

Reaction score

Are you for real? COD. Bank transfers are usually 99 percent scams.

Piranacon

Reaction score
Are you for real? COD. Bank transfers are usually 99 percent scams.

I believe that is why Bro Fljpflop wants to ask around if any forumers here had taken the risk to do money transfer and actually got the TV. So at least the risk is not so great...

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont do. Tuner snd specification is different from Singapore. Worse is you do not even know who the seller is.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.