HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HDTV talk - antenna and reception issues [consolidated]

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #61

1.The analogue signal from HDB's matv point is supposed to be as good as that coming from SCV point.

Call HDB Branch Service Line : 1800-2255432 (Weekdays: 8.00am - 5.00pm)

Explain the problem and they will rectify for you.

2. You did not say whether you were able to receive analogue Chan u, Octo and CNA from the matv point. If you can see these channels then your chances of getting digital dvb-t2 is pretty good. In that case you won't need a separate antenna for the digital tv reception. Keep your finger crossed
On my crt tv i connect to matv . My ch 8 & 5 signal is not acceptable therefore i did not search for other. I found that the matv connector quite rusty or oxidize not sure HDB will change it for free.

Now hook up to my new TV to scv point was all good but can't receive any digital signal. Image was acceptable.
Will call HDB see if they can rectify the problem.

Some can receive digital signal thru Daiyo HD Digital Indoor Antenna EU1702 and Margon Combo 5.1 . Not sure if i want to invest on this as my purchase of the $12 indoor antenna fail badly. Any advice. Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #62
Master Member

On my crt tv i connect to matv . My ch 8 & 5 signal is not acceptable therefore i did not search for other. I found that the matv connector quite rusty or oxidize not sure HDB will change it for free.
Yes, most probably they would - it's their propery. If not use your persuasive power

Now hook up to my new TV to scv point was all good but can't receive any digital signal. Image was acceptable.
Will call HDB see if they can rectify the problem.
SCV points only carry analogue and dvb-c signals. No dvb-t2 or t signals. dvb-c signals are for subscribers though some channels may be unencrypted.

Some can receive digital signal thru Daiyo HD Digital Indoor Antenna EU1702 and Margon Combo 5.1 . Not sure if i want to invest on this as my purchase of the $12 indoor antenna fail badly. Any advice. Thanks
Your $12 indoor antenna is as good as the other two you mentioned for reception of digital signal. Let me know the specific antenna you bought so that I can give you more specific advice.

Edit: talk about indoor antenna after the matv point has been changed and you still cannot receive digital signal from the matv point.

Last edited by mrsun18; 05-04-2014 at 09:17 PM..
mrsun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #63

The antenna is the same one we see in pg 2 in this thread. This antenna signal was not acceptable so i exchange with other thing from the store. Thinking that it can't even receive good signal for sd channal don'y even talk about digital signal. Will update if HDB has fixed it.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/r...9.jpg~original

Did a pixel test on the LED TV , found that there are dark patches at the 4 corner of the TV. Is it normal or is defect (bleeding)?

[/URL]
Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #64

That antenna is a very good one actually. How bad did it fail? Did you try every corner/location within your room/house?

I also using the same antenna, and I managed to find only one single spot in my living room where I get good quality and signal for all the channels I can receive
new-comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #65

That antenna is a very good one actually. How bad did it fail? Did you try every corner/location within your room/house?

I also using the same antenna, and I managed to find only one single spot in my living room where I get good quality and signal for all the channels I can receive
I am on the ground floor and my building is surrounded by trees and tall building.When connected to crt tv , the image is not possible to see alot dots and lines. I try to move around but due to the length of the cable, i was bound to living room only.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #66
Master Member

The antenna is the same one we see in pg 2 in this thread. This antenna signal was not acceptable so i exchange with other thing from the store. Thinking that it can't even receive good signal for sd channal don'y even talk about digital signal. Will update if HDB has fixed it.
pg2 is not a good reference point. If I am logged on, it would be on pg4. Had you say post #20, then it would be better. Still, there are 4 indoor antennae mentioned in that post, that's why I asked for the specific model so that I can tailor-make my advice according to the antenna you bought (there would be different instructions for rabbit ear antennae).

There are certain information which you are not aware of. Indoor antennae can receive both analogue signals and digital signals. For good analogue reception the signal has to be strong and free from reflection (ghosting). There can never be good indoor analogue signal unless you are on high floor and have clear view of the transmitter. As mentioned by you, you are on ground floor and surrounded by trees and tall buildings. You have no chance of receiving good analogue tv signal with indoor antenna.

On the other hand, digital signals, which can be HD or SD, need not be very strong compared to the analogue equivalent. Furthermor, digital signal is inherently robust and is designed to eliminate ghosting even if it exists. There is a high chance to get digital reception especially since you have a long cable to play around with the location.

You should have tested the indoor antenna with your new tv to see whether digital reception is possible.

Anyway, just keep your fingers crossed and wait for HDB to change the matv point. You can then test for digital reception with your new tv using the matv point. Do keep us posted on the outcome.

Last edited by mrsun18; 06-04-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 06-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #67

pg2 is not a good reference point. If I am logged on, it would be on pg4. Had you say post #20, then it would be better. Still, there are 4 indoor antennae mentioned in that post, that's why I asked for the specific model so that I can tailor-make my advice according to the antenna you bought (there would be different instructions for rabbit ear antennae).

There are certain information which you are not aware of. Indoor antennae can receive both analogue signals and digital signals. For good analogue reception the signal has to be strong and free from reflection (ghosting). There can never be good indoor analogue signal unless you are on high floor and have clear view of the transmitter. As mentioned by you, you are on ground floor and surrounded by trees and tall buildings. You have no chance of receiving good analogue tv signal with indoor antenna.

On the other hand, digital signals, which can be HD or SD, need not be very strong compared to the analogue equivalent. Furthermor, digital signal is inherently robust and is designed to eliminate ghosting even if it exists. There is a high chance to get digital reception especially since you have a long cable to play around with the location.

You should have tested the indoor antenna with your new tv to see whether digital reception is possible.

Anyway, just keep your fingers crossed and wait for HDB to change the matv point. You can then test for digital reception with your new tv using the matv point. Do keep us posted on the outcome.
Thanks for the tip. My antenna is on pg 2 post #20 , last photo. Too bad i return it.

Question
Let say the digital signal cover my area . Does it mean that I will receive digital signal using any indoor antenna on my ground floor or i will still block by tall building ?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #68
Master Member

Question
Let say the digital signal cover my area . Does it mean that I will receive digital signal using any indoor antenna on my ground floor or i will still block by tall building ?
As announced by MediaCorp, outdoor signal is already island-wide. As for indoor coverage, unless MediaCorp confirms that your area is covered, you never know for sure until you have tested it.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #69

As announced by MediaCorp, outdoor signal is already island-wide. As for indoor coverage, unless MediaCorp confirms that your area is covered, you never know for sure until you have tested it.
IC , Have to wait till this year 3Q to 4Q then got indoor coverage.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #70

Just an update. Hdb is going to Remove the antenna (make be upgrade - contractor also not sure). He just say waiting till sept my area will have digital signal by the time buy an indoor antenna will be able to receive all Channel
tmengyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #71
Master Member

Just an update. Hdb is going to Remove the antenna (make be upgrade - contractor also not sure). He just say waiting till sept my area will have digital signal by the time buy an indoor antenna will be able to receive all Channel
Don't let the contractor mislead you. Until the matv shut down, the system is supposed to be working. And HDB is paying the maintenance. There won't be any upgrade. Call HDB again to tell them you want to receive analogue tv signal from matv (be firm but civil). Tell them you don't want to wait for digital signal which is still a long time to come.

Remember if digital signal is available through HDB matv, you can enjoy it till 2020, which is the scheduled shut down time frame.

Last edited by mrsun18; 08-04-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #72

Don't let the contractor mislead you. Until the matv shut down, the system is supposed to be working. And HDB is paying the maintenance. There won't be any upgrade. Call HDB again to tell them you want to receive analogue tv signal from matv (be firm but civil). Tell them you don't want to wait for digital signal which is still a long time to come.

Remember if digital signal is available through HDB matv, you can enjoy it till 2020, which is the scheduled shut down time frame.
Thanks for the advice.
The reason they give is our building is too low and surrounded by high hdb buliding so not possible to receive good signal that why scv point is install for us, another thing is my block is going for enblock so the contractor don't know if my building is going to rent out or demolish after that, If rent out they might upgrade but if demolish then they wouldn't do anything.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #73
Master Member

Thanks for the advice.
The reason they give is our building is too low and surrounded by high hdb buliding so not possible to receive good signal that why scv point is install for us, another thing is my block is going for enblock so the contractor don't know if my building is going to rent out or demolish after that, If rent out they might upgrade but if demolish then they wouldn't do anything.
Were the reasons given by contractor or HDB?

a) Building blocked by high buildings - matv points for low-rise buildings are served by matv installed for high rise building. In other words, they (high- and low-rise) are all in the same matv system;

b) Rent or demolition - what excuse is that? No need maintenance? What happens if the public lighting fails or water pipe bursts? As I said before, the contractor is paid to maintain.

c) SCV points are installed for all, not just for low-rise buildings.

Anyway, these are reasons showing lame excuses were given (must have been given by contractor). It's up to you to decide whether you want to pursue the matter further.

Last edited by mrsun18; 08-04-2014 at 10:48 PM..
Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #74

Were the reasons given by contractor or HDB?

a) Building blocked by high buildings - matv points for low-rise buildings are served by matv installed for high rise building. In other words, they (high- and low-rise) are all in the same matv system;

Yes is by the contractor. so meaning to say no matter high or low flat as long as there is antenna on the roof top and is in working condition should be able to receive analoge and digital signal. right ?

I am no expert in this field , thanks for the tip.
I am not sure i can convince but will try.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #75
Master Member

Yes is by the contractor. so meaning to say no matter high or low flat as long as there is antenna on the roof top and is in working condition should be able to receive analoge and digital signal. right ?

I am no expert in this field , thanks for the tip.
I am not sure i can convince but will try.
Yes, the signals for the low-rise blocks are taken from one of the high-rise blocks. The matv should be able to receive digital signals provided it is able to support signals in UHF band. Some of the very old ones which were not rewired may not support UHF. Just hope that you block does not belong to this category.

Call HDB again to say that the analogue signal through the matv is poor (don't talk about digital). If I am not wrong, flats in Tiong Bahru area is under the management of Bukit Merah Branch Office.

Good luck.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.