Optimal size TV for 4 room BTO hall

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can tell you if you get a 60" now.

Initially, you will find it's big but as time past by, you will find that it's not really big and you will go for a bigger screen.

;)

nicholaschong

Reaction score
For living rooms e size tat u can look is 55"-60"

UOTE=oohman;88121215]What is a optimal size for the hall ?
Is 46-48 inches good enuff ?

And anyone has a guide to what height of the sofa to the height the TV shld be installed ?[/QUOTE]

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My living room is 12 feet across. That works out to 4 m. With a larg sofa set, I guess I'll end up with about 3 m across. After some consideration, I bought a 70 inch Sony. Which my mother complained that it will be way too big... well, it's now mounted on my living room wall and it really looks quite small... hahaha... and yes, it's actually just nice. I left the huge TV carton box on the opposite wall and then I sat in front of the box (to simulate the space the sofa takes up - sofa taking 6 weeks to arrive... :() and I find the viewing distance just nice.

To oohman, if you can afford it, go up to 60 inches. They are pretty affordable now. I think the cheaper Sharp models (non-SMART types) are just below $2K, about $1900. Pretty decent size and very good picture quality really.

Kopi Gao

Reaction score
Thanks ME bro for the tip as I also stay in a 4-rm flat (old design type).

Wow! If 70" is already small to you ... so your next TV will likely be 84" and above! Cheers! :)

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks ME bro for the tip as I also stay in a 4-rm flat (old design type).

Wow! If 70" is already small to you ... so your next TV will likely be 84" and above! Cheers! :)

No lar... it looks small when viewed from my dining room compared to the wall size... I mean when we saw the TV in the showroom it was like 'WOAH!' this is really big... then when they delivered the TV, the carton box was like 'WOAH! WOAH!'... so big... but then after they mount the TV, I was like... 'huh?'... not that big leh... I actually haven't moved in yet... but these days when I walk into the house, it doesn't catch my attention... which means it's not that big lor... hahaha... your mileage may vary cos my flat is a E-flat.

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
I suggest getting a bigger tv cause it offers more flexibility. If u find too big by sitting too near, just shift back accordingly.

It also depend how u wants to use the tv for? Some owners like to watch HD movies with their home theater system. Due to some reasons they couldn't have a projector and rather prefer a larger tv. So bigger is better for them. They will rather have a 84 inch tv than having 2 60 inch. Likewise. U don't have bluray players and happy with vcd movie viewing and mainly watch SD channel. Then the large expensive tv will made u feel u r wasting your $ as it can't project the picture qualities u seen in shownroom.

It will be useful if a new tv owners know what they want. I had seen those uncle and aunties r very impress with the 4k tv in the showroom. They thought that by buying this tv. Everything they seen is like these.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone would use a projector other than for screen size... cos no matter what, projector technology is reflective. That is your image is reflected off a screen. Hence it will always be less vibrant and have poorer contrast than a good TV. The TV is emitting the image and so it will always look better no matter how bright and powerful your projector is unless you're having something like that in a cinema. And for that matter, even in a cinema, you have to have a almost completely dark room... whereas a TV, you can watch comfortably in a brightly lit room. So to me it is a no-brainer to get a TV over a projector unless you're looking for 100 inches... but then the extra costs that goes into preparing a room for optimal viewing must be added to the cost including that of a sound system, whereas a TV has a built-in one that is usually quite decent.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.