Pioneer Plasma Thread

jeffong

Reaction score
WhiteShadows said:
What was the launch price of 50" 507? S$9999? :o

The 507 was launched at 7.1k with 3 year warrant, 2 free ISF calibration and a free DVD recorder.

iMbEst

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i went to gain city to browse browse.....

surprisingly, 507 and 427 looks worse than a soso grade Samsung C91.......Q91 could be even better than them......with the comparison of HD5 side by side.....

Even the panasonic also looked very dull....how come ah?

another thing was, when there was a line of text passing from right to left (just like those thing on CNA), Pionner can't display those text properly, macam like interlaced mode menz....

the guy there was trying very hard to switch to different mode, but fail, is that the problem of pioneer 427 and 507 at the first place? other panels dun seem to have such problem woh.

1 last thing, the 4:3 mode doesn't work in 427....not sure about 507. Samsung one has no problem, successfully squeeze back the 16:9 HD5 to 4:3 with 2 grey bars at the side, was playing PCK....

Last edited:

WhiteShadows

Reaction score
iMbEst said:

surprisingly, 507 and 427 looks worse than a soso grade Samsung C91.......Q91 could be even better than them......with the comparison of HD5 side by side.....

another thing was, when there was a line of text passing from right to left (just like those thing on CNA), Pionner can't display those text properly, macam like interlaced mode menz....

the guy there was trying very hard to switch to different mode, but fail, is that the problem of pioneer 427 and 507 at the first place? other panels dun seem to have such problem woh.

1 last thing, the 4:3 mode doesn't work in 427....not sure about 507. Samsung one has no problem, successfully squeeze back the 16:9 HD5 to 4:3 with 2 grey bars at the side, was playing PCK....

Is it that bad? Which Gain City showroom?

iMbEst

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
their HQ at AMK lor. i dunno is it becoz the pioneer one are just too old to compare with the rest, but it shouldn't be that bad one mah.

Treble

Reaction score
can the pioneer owner please verify what brother iMbEst mentioned? I'm going down to check it out..... now a bit worried with this problem of Pioneer. :( may change the purchase plan if it's really that bad. any other brand also have similar problem?

brother WhiteShadows, how come the setting are different for both panels?
871809171_7ce3bd06b1_o.jpg

would it be a fair comparison with different settings? :s11:

petetherock

Reaction score
I suggest you SEE FOR YOURSELF mate,

None of the Pioneer OWNERS have mentioned any issues, although you may say they are biased, but read all the forums around the world and then decide with YOUR OWN EYES in a Properly set up environment, with equal settings, equal TV feed signals to all the sets.

It is easy for a salesman to jack up the settings on the TV they wish to promote.
Often the Pioneer is set up on its own away from other TVs so as to dissuade comparison, otherwise the other sets may look bad.

But if the words of one person can sway you and your EYES, save the $$ and buy the cheaper set, there is a large price gap between the Pioneers and the other brands.

I have not met a Pioneer owner in SG who isn't content with the price premium he paid over the other brands.

Treble said:
can the pioneer owner please verify what brother iMbEst mentioned? I'm going down to check it out..... now a bit worried with this problem of Pioneer. :( may change the purchase plan if it's really that bad. any other brand also have similar problem?

HardCORE

Reaction score
iMbEst said:

Thats right, the 507 models are too old already and have some irritating bugs like bad handling of interlaced material and outdated 1080P input (only 24Hz), compared to the Panasonics. The Samsungs I agree have better color balance than the Panasonic out of the box, but I think the scaler on the Panasonics are better than the Samsung (SCV looks better on Panasonic plasmas).

Pioneer is too overpriced IMHO, but the 508 looks like its really a class above the rest in terms of black level performance. But wonder how it will compare price-wise to the affordable full HD 1920x1080 Samsung and Panasonic plasmas which will probably be launched later this year.

petetherock

Reaction score
8 Gen service menu

Enter at your own risk:

The get into the service menu do the following..

Enter the Service Menu
Start with the plasma turned OFF
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press the i button (directly below 9) on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 3 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed, will change 3 times on its own quickly.

Press MUTE 3 times until the side bar screen is displayed at the bottom.

Press ENTER

Set:
Standard is set to 115 use left button to set to 0

Next to show hours meter

once into the menu press mute to show panel factory

press enter

Then press down and you will see the hours.

Press HOME MENU to exit
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5035681&postcount=1

Treble

Reaction score
HardCORE said:
Thats right, the 507 models are too old already and have some irritating bugs like bad handling of interlaced material and outdated 1080P input (only 24Hz), compared to the Panasonics. The Samsungs I agree have better color balance than the Panasonic out of the box, but I think the scaler on the Panasonics are better than the Samsung (SCV looks better on Panasonic plasmas).

Pioneer is too overpriced IMHO, but the 508 looks like its really a class above the rest in terms of black level performance. But wonder how it will compare price-wise to the affordable full HD 1920x1080 Samsung and Panasonic plasmas which will probably be launched later this year.

only 24Hz? that's kind of turned off dun you think so? Is it a common problem of Plasmas or just Pioneer?

rahul49

Master Member
Reaction score
iMbEst said:

lol bro..you still havent bought your TV ? You been looking since beginning of the year:)

Dont make any judgement based on what you see in one shop. The setups differ a lot across shops. I have had my 427 for almost an year now. No problems whatsoever. Picture quality is brilliant, especially with those Blu rays. I wouldnt claim that its a perfect TV as there would never be a perfect TV....but I am certainly very happy with it.

Now I dont bother about the hardware(display)...Im just concerned about the next best software(movie) to buy:)

petetherock

Reaction score
Why Buy Pioneer, Are you Sure??

If you are set on the cheaper, more value for money and newer Panasonics and Samsungs, DON'T buy the Pioneer then.
Leave us 'stupid' folks yes us 'dumb' folks foolish enough to spend so much more and something the same size, yet costing so much more and 'only' offerring 1080p 24 fps ( which is 'so common' that 'every' panel have this)

:)

Let those who are truly keen buy Pioneers and save the dough friends, many people do not own this product and are happy.
There is no need to spend and pay a price premium on this panel. There is no need to convince yourself that Pioneer is 'lousy' and outdated and expensive or justify the other brands you bought.

A PV 70 is so much more VFM. What Lo Fi thinks the Samsung is better. Both cost much less. There are so many offers for them.

The new Kuros will cost even more.
For those who still want to buy, I will share my knowledge on getting the best out of your TV and enjoying yourself with this in many years to come. Join the list of happy owners who enjoy the purchase everyday when we reach home.

iMbEst

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
shoik shopping sexperience at neighbourhood store.....

rahul49 said:
lol bro..you still havent bought your TV ? You been looking since beginning of the year:)

well, the plan has always been getting the 8th generation Pioneer next year around this time and only NOW then I started looking out for more details lah, coz I am getting(in fact, just bought) my fridge and washer for my new house, which was just renovated after 8 months of hardwork, I just shunbian find out more details mah.

I went down to HongLiang opposite IKEA to get my Inverter fridge and HolessTub washer, saw them displaying both Q91 and 427XG. I shared my GainCity sexperience with the boss and he straight away offered me a 1 to 1 comparison demo on these 2 models. He was offering $2888 (before further negotiation) for the 427XG :D I dunno if it's a good price, but seriously, I am not impressed by the 7th generation Plasma yet, not to mention LCD, I was about to grab a good CRT instead.......but well, the Z3 is serving me well, for a lonely person who stays in a freshly built 5 rooms flat, i shall not complain further.....

As expected, Q91 is giving much brilliant color due to its processor.....I requested him to turn on CNA but unfortunately, it's through normal antenna instead of SCV box nor HD set top box. I dun see the interlaced problem of the running text on 427XG anymore. The first thing I asked him to do was to switched both screen to 4:3 mode. And here comes the interesting part:
1.407XG has no problem displaying 4:3 mode and the empty bars are actually filled with grey color zoomed image, nice move of pioneer to prevent burnt mark(now I'm wondering if gain city's sales person are trained at all, remember, AMK HQ somemore). Q91 has 2 stationary grey bars, same as C91 which I saw in Gain City yesterday.
2.He straight away pointed out the burnt mark on Q91, which was displayed for just 2+ months.....407XG has no burnt mark at all, although it's been running 1 year as display set. Scary huh? From what I see, it's quite serious "deep burnt" on the Q91....sigh.....
3.The diagonal size for 4:3 are: 407XG: 33"+ Q91:34" (yes, another uncle helped me to measure it) and by right Q91 should be having the right size according to the triangle theory, but I guess the mediacorp analogue signal is not 100% 4:3 So the end results? Q91 is giving a very unnatural output, the face of the reporter is somehow squeezed (horizontally) and stretched (vertically) as a result of banana face. The face of the same reporter on 407XG is actually in its original shape, amazing huh?
4.The dark color of 407XG is nothing impressive, the newer generation will always get darker and darker right? as the contrast ratio increases......
5.Neighbourhood shops like HongLiang are providing me a much better shopping sexperience, heck GainCity, heck Harvey Norman, heck Courts!

I will bring my hubstation with recorded programmes to test and maybe some 1080p stuff if I manage to get hold of a 1080p player. Keeping my finger crossed for 428 next year September price :D

the only downside about 42" plasma? It's still stuck at XGA which can't be used for computer display in a normal ratio......sianz lah.....

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
The new 8G Kuros panel will be out soon. Indications are that it will cost >3k for hte 42" 428.
If that does not deter you, make sure you cmopare it to the other more affordable panels, and see if the extra blacks and contrast are visible, and decide.
Forget VFM when you consider this product and simply decide on your desire to own a premium product which will be a joy to see for the next few years.
Apart from the big shops, places in Sim Lim are also a good bet too

Lucky123

Master Member
Reaction score
Pioneer Kuro 8G Plasma Panel will be launched Suntec Convention Centre Level 3 Meeting Room 323,325 & 326 from 4 Oct to 7 Oct. It will be a preview sale. 8 gifts worth more than $2K (extended warranty, Home theatre, HDMI 1.3 cable, movie passes, hdmi DVD player/recorder, free wall/table installation, organiser, interest free savings) for any panel bought.

Launching Models : PDP-428XG, PDP-508XG, PDP-508XG-S, PDP-LX508G (FHD), PDP-LX608G (FHD)

General Specs : CR 16000~20000 : 1, HDMI 1.3, USB 2.0, 1080p 24/50/60, new AV selection

WhiteShadows

Reaction score
Lucky123 said:
Pioneer Kuro 8G Plasma Panel will be launched Suntec Convention Centre Level 3 Meeting Room 323,325 & 326 from 4 Oct to 7 Oct. It will be a preview sale. 8 gifts worth more than $2K (extended warranty, Home theatre, HDMI 1.3 cable, movie passes, hdmi DVD player/recorder, free wall/table installation, organiser, interest free savings) for any panel bought.

Launching Models : PDP-428XG, PDP-508XG, PDP-508XG-S, PDP-LX508G (FHD), PDP-LX608G (FHD)

General Specs : CR 16000~20000 : 1, HDMI 1.3, USB 2.0, 1080p 24/50/60, new AV selection

11am - 9pm iirc. :)

Treble

Reaction score
somebody mentioned $4125 for the 428XG, very overpriced compared to HongKong....

HardCORE

Reaction score
Finally the 8th gen in Singapore! The PDP-LX508G (FHD) looks very tempting, hope its not too expensive.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.