Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recording of TV programs.

Like Tree1Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #1

Recording TV?

Hello, what is the best way to record a 1 hr TV programme on channel 8 nowadays? I don't have miotv/starhub and I need the video to be recorded into a dvd/cd or just onto my computer so I can burn it into one. It needs to be in good quality when played back on a TV set.

Are DVD recorders still sold? How much do they go for? From what I've read they are obsolete @_@ XINMSN's catch-up HQ isn't good enough.
BlankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Some major dept electronics store like best denki, courts , HN still have dvd recorder on stock, it is likely either panasonic and LG or may have samsung brand. Price wise can be $400 above.

Anothe option is u can try this A.C.Ryan brand DVR media player which cost less than $300, i didn't use this before so i cannot advise on this but it seem quite a good alternative to record your tv programme.

Playon!DVRHD :: AC Ryan | Defining Digital Entertainment
nomoney25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

The playon seems promising. Anybody used it to record before? How hard is it to set up and get the recording onto PC or onto a disc? I've never touched anything related to the TV before and I don't even watch much TV.. thanks
Old 27-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Alternatively u can use TV card to record TV programmes as video files.

*This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts.
Kiwi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #5

ACRyan can only record from digital TV which currently is only channel 5. I presume you are looking to record off the analog antenna. I got a Uraku Digital Video Recorder which can record analog TV from the antenna into .avi or .vob files which you can then transfer to your PC to burn into DVD. You can also playback or use it as a media library as it plays xvid and divx files. If you are keen I can sell it to you. $260 and comes with remote and 1TB hdd inside. I bought it on a whim and have little use for it. It is 1 month old still under warranty. Google it Uraku nv-812
POOMAlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #6

Alternatively u can use TV card to record TV programmes as video files.
Allows my computer to directly stream TV? How much is it roughly and does that mean I have to use other programs to record my computer screen? Sorry very noob at this.
Old 28-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Actually just hunt for dated/used PCs in the $100-150 range would be fine. In fact you can combine recording functions with a media server (pick a motherboard with say 5-6 SATA ports) with this PC and if u tap TV from SCV point means Analog not DVB-T and analog tv tuner cards in the used market are dirt cheap too ^^

For me i use a Hauppauge HVR-3000 to record analog tv from SCV point + feed from MIO TV STB The PC also serves as a 2nd TV in case a family member want to watch free to air and another mio tv channel at the same time hehe

Last edited by batuchka; 28-03-2012 at 05:04 AM..
batuchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Master Member

I have an old Panasonic DVD Recorder which I'm no longer using...
Pls pm me if u want to take it off my hands...
kun1he2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #9

I have an old Panasonic DVD Recorder which I'm no longer using...
Pls pm me if u want to take it off my hands...
Hello,
Can you add some pictures of your DVD,
and how much you require for sale it?
Alexanderjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Master Member

Hello,
Can you add some pictures of your DVD,
and how much you require for sale it?
Panasonic DMR-E20 - note that the local SG version has FireWire input - great for converting MiniDV video camera recordings into DVD format.

Video encoding quality is also exceptionally good, see reviews at:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorder...nic-dmr-e20/23

Feel free to pm me ur best offer and contact number.

Last edited by kun1he2; 31-03-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #11

I found a friend to record it for me, but his recorder uses DVDRAM discs. If I want to transfer the video into my computer, do I need a DVD writer like this: SE-S084 - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG ? My drives only support DVD-R and DVD-RW.

If so, any idea what's the rough price of DVD-Writer (reader?) that is USB and compatible with DVDRAM format? Sold at SLS?

Edit: I need to transfer it to computer then burn it onto DVD-R/RW so that it can be played on common DVD players.

Last edited by BlankShot; 04-04-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
Master Member

Any optical drive that supports DVD-RAM should be fine - if it can read/write DVD-RAM, chances are that it can also at least write DVD-R.

Btw, does ur friend's recorder have built-in HDD? If so, u can try asking him to copy the recording into the HDD and then copy it back into a DVD-R with finalisation.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #13

He says that his recorder doesn't support dvdR/RW. Sorry to ask, but what do I ask for when I go hunting for it in sls? Optical drive, DVD writer or reader? Tried googling but these terms are kinda confusing.

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
Master Member

It might be best for you to look for those optical drives that are in retail box and actually state on the box that it supports DVD-RAM and DVD-R/RW.

Otherwise, if there is no retail box, try googling for the model number to see if you can find the specifications online.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #15

Ok, thanks.

Should the recording settings be set to 16:9 or 4:3 on the recorder? Let's say for channel 8's Tuesday Report. The TV it is recording on is 42". Planning to play it on a 19" LCD TV (I think its 16:9 aspect ratio?).
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.