Samsung launches 2015 Evo Kit, adds HDR to some 2014 4K TVs

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I've checked with US regarding SEK-3500U/ZA, they are not compatible with local TV as the American unit does not support terrestrial broadcast signal, only cable. For those without Starhub subscription and using the external antenna for FTA HD channels, we cannot use the ZA model.

Based on my research, Malaysia is selling the new SEK-3500U/XS, which should be compatible with our TV (mine is SEK-2500U/XS), but I have yet to call up the shops there for price and availability. Samsung Malaysia had provided me with three shops in JB that should carry them. If there is a interest in it, I can share the details here.

Even if you have the SEK-3500U hardware where are you going to get the firmware? And if you have problems during the setup SAMSUNG Singapore is not going to support you for this item. If you brick your TV then bye bye lor

I like the HDR thing but changing TV is not like yearly changing smartphone thing ah

Last edited:

SGJoe86

Reaction score
I'm not exactly banking on Samsung Singapore to provide any form of proper support since they don't intend to bring in the 2015 Evo kit. My TV's Smart Home is tuned to the US market now, so I got access to the apps there. The local contents are nothing to shout about anyway.
As for firmware update, go old school with thumb driver ;)

PS: Though I'm still on 2014 Evo kit tuned to US Smart Home, I'm still able to update firmware OTA :D

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Evo kit sounds like s good idea provided they bring it in. If for some reason they dont or they only have the older ones then it defeats the purpose IMO.

Evoker

Reaction score
Evo kit sounds like s good idea provided they bring it in. If for some reason they dont or they only have the older ones then it defeats the purpose IMO.
They should bring it in. One of the reasons why I invested in a Samsung series 9 Tv is because of the upgrade option for the One Connect Box. No point for me to buy a new JS series and put the older HU9000 in my bedroom it is too big. Maybe there are not enough "voices" or demand??

SGJoe86

Reaction score
It really comes down to dollar and cents for Samsung. By not having the Evo kit to early adopters of the 9 series, they are forcing the consumers to either suck it up with what we have, or buy a new TV (from them or otherwise), assuming that consumers would rather change a new TV (new 4K TVs now going for sub-1k SGD?!?!), compared to investing in a new Evo kit that cost around SGD600-ish (rough estimate).

I am guessing they are trying to cut out users whom purchased the F9000 series or earlier models as they are not UHD Alliance certified specs, but those with HU series fit the criteria. By not releasing the Evo kit to us though, all of those with HU series or older will potentially lose out on all future contents, be it 4K online streaming from Youtube and Netflix, to physical UHD players.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have checked with SAMSUNG Malaysia and they said it'll work with our Singapore F9000 set. Firmware also no issue. Just select the country and download will do. But tech support definitely will come from them and not Singapore.

One more thing. You'll need to buy from their service centre. Damn difficult to contact them one.

SENG HENG Malaysia not selling leh

Wait for somebody to try first lah them feedback

Last edited:

SGJoe86

Reaction score
I have checked with SAMSUNG Malaysia and they said it'll work with our Singapore F9000 set. Firmware also no issue. Just select the country and download will do. But tech support definitely will come from them and not Singapore.

One more thing. You'll need to buy from their service centre. Damn difficult to contact them one.

SENG HENG Malaysia not selling leh

Wait for somebody to try first lah them feedback
Same case as you purchase most items from overseas. Unless it states explicitly that it comes with international warranty, you will have to bring it back to source for RMA :D

Quite surprised Samsung MY told you to buy from their service center. Samsung MY gave me 3 shop addresses located in JB that sells it: Best Vision, Lionmas, and Darson.
Had not contacted them since I'm tight on budget so item ain't on priority list.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Same case as you purchase most items from overseas. Unless it states explicitly that it comes with international warranty, you will have to bring it back to source for RMA :D

Quite surprised Samsung MY told you to buy from their service center. Samsung MY gave me 3 shop addresses located in JB that sells it: Best Vision, Lionmas, and Darson.
Had not contacted them since I'm tight on budget so item ain't on priority list.

The 3 shops got any website? If yes, can check stock availability

SGJoe86

Reaction score
The 3 shops got any website? If yes, can check stock availability
Either no website, or nothing useful comes out from it. Only contact numbers and addresses provided, but I'm not on to venture into JB by myself, nor would I call them until I have intention to purchase.

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
sorry to bump this thread up but does anyone have any luck?
thinking of getting it to upgrade my HU9000

SGJoe86

Reaction score
sorry to bump this thread up but does anyone have any luck?
thinking of getting it to upgrade my HU9000
You are better off heading to malaysia to get it. The feel from Samsung Singapore is that they don't intent to sell it locally, forcing you to buy a new TV instead. Meanwhile, they continue to market about the upgradeability of their OCB to unsuspecting customers.

rossveitch

Reaction score
A month or 2 back I called every JB dealer listed on the Samsung website (and a few in KL) but couldn't find anybody who had it in stock or knew how to order it.

Since then I've bought a Nvidia Shield TV to use as the front-end (awesome) and also cancelled my StarHub sub. As a result I'm no longer using any of the "smart" functionality in the Samsung and I don't think I care enough about the possibly improved picture quality to justify the Evo kit upgrade any more.

thhchx

Reaction score
A month or 2 back I called every JB dealer listed on the Samsung website (and a few in KL) but couldn't find anybody who had it in stock or knew how to order it.

Since then I've bought a Nvidia Shield TV to use as the front-end (awesome) and also cancelled my StarHub sub. As a result I'm no longer using any of the "smart" functionality in the Samsung and I don't think I care enough about the possibly improved picture quality to justify the Evo kit upgrade any more.

Thanks for the update. I was even looking at importing the evolution kit from Europe and it cost a huge bomb while I'm not 100% sure of it's compatibility with my Samsung 2014 TV.

Last edited:

SGJoe86

Reaction score
No issue using those OCB for overseas markets, but you will lose out on some functionality. Like for the US set, my understanding is that users that watch free-to-air channels will not be able to use it as there's no antenna-in option. No issue for those on Singtel Mio or Starhub cable.

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
No issue using those OCB for overseas markets, but you will lose out on some functionality. Like for the US set, my understanding is that users that watch free-to-air channels will not be able to use it as there's no antenna-in option. No issue for those on Singtel Mio or Starhub cable.

thanks. probably gonna try to order it somehow
curious though - did any of you get a UHD Video Pack with your TVs?

SGJoe86

Reaction score
thanks. probably gonna try to order it somehow
curious though - did any of you get a UHD Video Pack with your TVs?
The UHD video pack was only available to those really early adopters of the TV. By the time I gotten mine back in 2014, they already stopped it.
If you planning to get overseas, can try Amazon to get the US model. My friend is down under now, dunno if Aussie and NZ is the same, because I know NZ is using the same model as us (XS prefix)

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

So anybody interested to buy the 2015 Evo Kit from Malaysia? Can pool together and buy lah

thhchx

Reaction score
The UHD video pack was only available to those really early adopters of the TV. By the time I gotten mine back in 2014, they already stopped it.
If you planning to get overseas, can try Amazon to get the US model. My friend is down under now, dunno if Aussie and NZ is the same, because I know NZ is using the same model as us (XS prefix)

I did a fair bit of reading up a while back and chanced upon some Aussie forum regarding this. I can't remember the link though. But I recall they were hunting high and low - and IIRC people within did mention that it's not the same as NZ model.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.