HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Smart or normal LED tv

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Smart or normal LED tv

Im getting a tv for my new home. I need some recommendations.. Can a smart or Internet tv play files from my network drive or com? If its possible then I'll get a smart tv..

I'm saw Sony bravia 40Ex520 (Internet tv) is it gd to get that model? price within my range as well, ard 1k. The sales person says only sony have Internet browsing the rest (smart tv) doesn't hav. Dunno how true is that..

Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Kraitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Master Member

Nowadays not only smart tv give you access to the access of web content over Internet. There are also bluray players that can perform the same thing. Hence you don't have to get a new smart tv but get a smart bluray player which will be a cheaper alternative to upgrade your old LCD tv.
sars8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Master Member

Both the smart tv and smart bluray player comes with DLNA or ALLSHARE function that allow you to stream your media content from your computer to the tv. The criteria is both must be connected to the same network, either wired or wirelessly.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

wah i didn't know that.. i don't have a tv currently.. i need to get a new TV for my new house.. i might not be getting a player.. juz simple a smart tv..

any models to recommend? i looking at sony 40ex520 and samsung ua40d5500rm

i think the samsung model doesn't hav internet browsing..
Old 06-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

Im getting a tv for my new home. I need some recommendations.. Can a smart or Internet tv play files from my network drive or com? If its possible then I'll get a smart tv..

I'm saw Sony bravia 40Ex520 (Internet tv) is it gd to get that model? price within my range as well, ard 1k. The sales person says only sony have Internet browsing the rest (smart tv) doesn't hav. Dunno how true is that..

Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Don't get Sony smart TV. I also have the EX520. Network connection always have problem.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Master Member

Your selected samsung model comes with smart hub that let you surf the net too. I would recommend this to you because it serves all your needs like streaming videos or music from yr pc, surfing the net,etc..
Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #7

wah i didn't know that.. i don't have a tv currently.. i need to get a new TV for my new house.. i might not be getting a player.. juz simple a smart tv..

any models to recommend? i looking at sony 40ex520 and samsung ua40d5500rm

i think the samsung model doesn't hav internet browsing..
You may see the Internet browser as a feature, but most will see it as a source of frustration. From network connection problems to even trying to input the URL. I don't recommend relying on this feature as a benefit. Sony browser doesn't support flash. It uses Opera.
punggolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #8

Sony cannot play lots of format movies...only samsung can. in additional, samsung allows you to play flash. The other brands cannot.

The sales person is not being honest. Many can do full internet browsing already. Samsung 6600 series above allows u to have full web browsing. These models allow plug n play usb in movies.

LG 3730 above series also allow full web browsing..likewise for LG

the only thing Sony is gd at is their quality. I am a fan of Sony products too. but their TV really not that good in terms of function.
expert128sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. ya i heard sony is reliable as well..

Your selected samsung model comes with smart hub that let you surf the net too. I would recommend this to you because it serves all your needs like streaming videos or music from yr pc, surfing the net,etc..
u mean ua40d5500rm can surf net? or selected web via their apps? i read the web browser is only on the 6600 models. but its juz an app. dunno can "jailbreak" not.

true ar the web browser thing is juz an additional feature. but juz wanna compare the differences in terms of quality and features..

and i think ex520 is 50hertz right? samsung 5500 is i think 100.

chim nowadays buy tv also need to research their functions lol..

Last edited by Kraitz; 07-02-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Thanks everyone. ya i heard sony is reliable as well..

u mean ua40d5500rm can surf net? or selected web via their apps? i read the web browser is only on the 6600 models. but its juz an app. dunno can "jailbreak" not.

true ar the web browser thing is juz an additional feature. but juz wanna compare the differences in terms of quality and features..

and i think ex520 is 50hertz right? samsung 5500 is i think 100.

chim nowadays buy tv also need to research their functions lol..

I don't think 5500 got full web browser, it is only via their app (so you do not have an extensive URL that you can just type and surf)

Only 6600 series above got full web browser (i.e. you can just key www.****.com)

Samsung 100hz is based on their Clear motion and not refresh rate. Their 100hz is approx 50hz in terms of Refresh Rates

Like I have mentioned, reliable but unable to read many files format. So if you are those who watch show via files, Sony unable to serve your needs. If the intention is just to watch local tv prog, then Sony will be a more ideal tv.
expert128sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.