Is sony really better than Samsung and LG?

penyekz

Reaction score
So I was walking around best denki looking for a UHD TV 55 or 65". The sales guy was showing me some demos on the Sony vs Samsung UHD TVs. I don't know which models but they didn't cost more than $3100 for 55" UHD.

He says Sony are best because of "triluminous" display technology. Played a file showing a plain blue screen on the samsung. He then played the same file on the sony which showed patterns on the blue screen... which were not visible on the samsung.

He also showed a CNA news with the scrolling news at the bottom... Samsung clearly flickered whereas the Sony didn't.

So question is is Sony really superior? Is that salesman talking cock? I can't stand Sony and have not bought anything Sony for 25 years... Goes back to how crap their walkman/VCR/TVs/handycams were back then and crap service they provided in Singapore.

I really want a good quality 55" (budget no more than $3200+) or 65" (no more than $4200). Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Sony top of the line model UHD is using Samsung Panel.

And looked like more higher end models TV are using VA panel which gave more vivid colour.

Sony used to be top in last time TV but had fallen behind in terms of technology as compare to Samsung and LG and it's more expensive as compared to the other 2 brands if comparing their higher end models with lesser feature.

:)

jefftan88

Reaction score
I have got 2 TVs at home.. both SONY... 40" FHD and a 55" 4K.. before that a Pioneer Plasma.
Tried the Samsung and LG but find that while the demo is always very impressive and attention grabber at showrooms.. but for me it's visually tiring for long viewing. The color and brightness/contrast maybe set too high.. but I have no issues with SONY.
That's my personal view and preference so best if you can spend longer time at showrooms and draw your own conclusion.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
currently using a LG 42" TV, so far the PQ of the TV is good! You just need to adjust the Display settings to your liking then it will be good.
:)

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
My current sony 40 inch tv bought in 2008 still using till now even I wanted it to spoilt so I can upgrade to bigger size.

Although I am a Sony tv fan. I feel u shd buy a tv that u truly liked and not from recommendations from saleman. We never know the saleman is neutral on giving the best advice to customers or he wants to earn more commission from a particular brand he promoted on

penyekz

Reaction score
I encountered the flickering problem when I bought a Samsung tv this year. The tv also had horizontal banding problem. The supplier was willing got do a 1 for 1 exchange. The new set that I got also had the same problem. Luckily, the supplier was willing to give a refund.

After that I went to buy a sony. The sony is way way better than Samsung.

Which Samsung and Sony models did you buy? FHD or UHD?

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My current sony 40 inch tv bought in 2008 still using till now even I wanted it to spoilt so I can upgrade to bigger size.

Although I am a Sony tv fan. I feel u shd buy a tv that u truly liked and not from recommendations from saleman. We never know the saleman is neutral on giving the best advice to customers or he wants to earn more commission from a particular brand he promoted on

Tahan until the UHD OLED TV surface in the market........................:s12:

penyekz

Reaction score
Tahan until the UHD OLED TV surface in the market........................:s12:

Ah yo.... too long lah. My current TV is a 40" sony from the Singtel broadband deal 2 years ago.

Wanting a 55" or 65" UHD. OLED will take at least a year before the prices reach UHD levels I think

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah yo.... too long lah. My current TV is a 40" sony from the Singtel broadband deal 2 years ago.

Wanting a 55" or 65" UHD. OLED will take at least a year before the prices reach UHD levels I think

The current OLED is only FHD and the price is super high.

UHD is the way to go so I think by that time your Sony spoilt, the price of UHD might have settled down to below $2000 for a 55" model.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
detailing on a sony is definitely much better.

i was shown with a different picture where you can see the fine details, and the different tone of the same colour. other tv just display the same colour and the details can't even be seen.

that's for the FHD.

i'm hoping for OLED to take off and price lowered down i the future.

the sleekness of the panel is really very attractive.

So I was walking around best denki looking for a UHD TV 55 or 65". The sales guy was showing me some demos on the Sony vs Samsung UHD TVs. I don't know which models but they didn't cost more than $3100 for 55" UHD.

He says Sony are best because of "triluminous" display technology. Played a file showing a plain blue screen on the samsung. He then played the same file on the sony which showed patterns on the blue screen... which were not visible on the samsung.

He also showed a CNA news with the scrolling news at the bottom... Samsung clearly flickered whereas the Sony didn't.

So question is is Sony really superior? Is that salesman talking cock? I can't stand Sony and have not bought anything Sony for 25 years... Goes back to how crap their walkman/VCR/TVs/handycams were back then and crap service they provided in Singapore.

I really want a good quality 55" (budget no more than $3200+) or 65" (no more than $4200). Any recommendations?

samuelk

Reaction score
detailing on a sony is definitely much better.

i was shown with a different picture where you can see the fine details, and the different tone of the same colour. other tv just display the same colour and the details can't even be seen.

that's for the FHD.

i'm hoping for OLED to take off and price lowered down i the future.

the sleekness of the panel is really very attractive.

If can wait. Look out for the remaining Samsung F9000 at 3999 8 clouding gst and delivery.

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
If talking about reliability, I would choose Sony vs Samsung.

My Sony TV still working well for the past nearly 4 years.

My Samsung TV, bought together with the Sony above had been serviced once already (due to the famous capacitor issue).

My 21" Sony CRT still working as well.

My Sony VAIO bought over 6 years ago also still working.

Therefore, it was sad to read news as below.

How Sony Is Turning into a Ghost in Japan and Around the World

I hope Sony find it's way.

penyekz

Reaction score
If talking about reliability, I would choose Sony vs Samsung.

My Sony TV still working well for the past nearly 4 years.

My Samsung TV, bought together with the Sony above had been serviced once already (due to the famous capacitor issue).

My 21" Sony CRT still working as well.

My Sony VAIO bought over 6 years ago also still working.

Therefore, it was sad to read news as below.

How Sony Is Turning into a Ghost in Japan and Around the World

I hope Sony find it's way.

So maybe should elaborate why I boycotted Sony for the past 25 years

I used to buy everything Sony... walkman, discman, cordless phones, handy cam, 32" CRT TV - top of the range back then....

They all broke within a few months of warranty ending. They had lots of QC issues. Great designs but crap quality. and their service was crap in Singapore.

Sent the handycam in for service, left the battery in, came back without the battery... and they denied it. Then got the cheek to offer me a discounted battery pack "out of good will"... I made more noise them they gave me the batt eventually... grumpily.

cordless phones were useless compared to the likes of panasonic.

walkman no where as durable as the then Aiwa brand.

discman like plastic compared to denon for the same price.

After the rubbish service, I have boycotted Sony for the past 25 years. They have lost all my business and I have tried my best to inform those around me of the issues I had.

And, I was glad to hear that Sony was like the only of the big brands making a loss. That is the result of poor service and poor QC.

Not sure how they've improved over 25 years but I'm somewhat reluctant to try them again.

Last edited:

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I encountered the flickering problem when I bought a Samsung tv this year. The tv also had horizontal banding problem. The supplier was willing got do a 1 for 1 exchange. The new set that I got also had the same problem. Luckily, the supplier was willing to give a refund.

After that I went to buy a sony. The sony is way way better than Samsung.

Is true that sony doesn't produce their own panel. They buy their panels from Samsung, LG and auo. But I think the trilimuous technology and other technology that Sony has make a difference to the picture quality.

Similarly, some of Samsung models doesn't use panel that are made by Samsung. Some of their models are using sharp.

Do note that in the showroom, the Samsung display set maybe using a panel make by Samsung. But the panel that u get maybe made by sharp. Go and google "Samsung panel lottery". A lot of ppl are complaining about the problem of getting a panel that is not made by Samsung

No different for Sony anyway.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So maybe should elaborate why I boycotted Sony for the past 25 years

I used to buy everything Sony... walkman, discman, cordless phones, handy cam, 32" CRT TV - top of the range back then....

They all broke within a few months of warranty ending. They had lots of QC issues. Great designs but crap quality. and their service was crap in Singapore.

Sent the handycam in for service, left the battery in, came back without the battery... and they denied it. Then got the cheek to offer me a discounted battery pack "out of good will"... I made more noise them they gave me the batt eventually... grumpily.

cordless phones were useless compared to the likes of panasonic.

walkman no where as durable as the then Aiwa brand.

discman like plastic compared to denon for the same price.

After the rubbish service, I have boycotted Sony for the past 25 years. They have lost all my business and I have tried my best to inform those around me of the issues I had.

And, I was glad to hear that Sony was like the only of the big brands making a loss. That is the result of poor service and poor QC.

Not sure how they've improved over 25 years but I'm somewhat reluctant to try them again.

Same experience as you are, Walkman, 3x 29" TV, Cordless phone, handphone ...
Worse is their after sales services.

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
The only bad experience I have for Sony product was the old sony ericsson phone. No wonder Sony dropped their partnership and made better mobile phone now like xperia z2.

other than the mobile phone. All the Sony products I owned r pretty lasting. 40 inch lcd tv still going strong after 6.5 years. Used it both tv watching and gaming. My ps3 just spoilt after 6 years plus too. It had performed well beyond my expectation. All I say everyone has own preference on the brand and luck play a part too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.