Starhub STB and HD STB discussion III (consolidated)

Chalkycliffs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recall receiving 1080p signal with SH STB previously before it was changed to the current Samsung.
I noticed the signal from this Samsung STB is only 1080i. I called up SH and support team says indeed SH STB support up to 1080i. Limiting the support at 1080i does not make sense when all the tv that are 32” and above are FHD tv supporting 1080p. Bros out there care to verify whether it is the same with your STB?

Singapore domestic TV market is 1080i as mandated by govt.

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Starhub tv everything suck $$ de....:s13: I cancelled my starhub tv 3 mths ago and now using xiaomi tv box ....

would have done the same but my parents wanted the VV (TVB Dramas)
and of course, the HubClub membership

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want to check, I have a Starhub STB for many years. I would like to rent another set top box. Is it possible to use the set top box in another house?

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Want to check, I have a Starhub STB for many years. I would like to rent another set top box. Is it possible to use the set top box in another house?

If you using cable, it possible just dun get caught. If using fibre tv, dun think can

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I did this before but that was decades ago.

As Cable Set top box is based on the SmartCard on the subscribed channels.
It may also depend on your flat if it is the old type.

You can try to rent it and try it out.
Anyway if it do not work you can return it as charge during the period on rent.

For your info Starhub Cable TV do not seem to want to recontract as many mentioned that cannot be recontract.
So it is a matter of time it will ceased operation.
Be prepared.

Regards.

Flanky

Reaction score
Now SH is giving free data point installation. Just signed up today. Next Saturday morning, going to install trunking and lay the cable from the VEONT to the room. Free IP switch and fibre boxes will be installed by second team in the evening.

is there any limit/ restriction to the installation?
what IP switch they giving?
wondering if they can help to install the data point from my living room (where the fibre point is) to my bedroom.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there any limit/ restriction to the installation?
what IP switch they giving?
wondering if they can help to install the data point from my living room (where the fibre point is) to my bedroom.

The free 1 point connection is basically for new sign-up to 1Gbps fibre broadband plan, but no longer advertised as on request.
The connection is based on point A to B, inclusive of cables and data points at both end.
The cable trunking length could be based on standard HDB flat, usual cost $107 include 7% gst.

Note that there is no IP Switch unless you go for 2 or more IPTV Set top box.
Do note that IPTV and Internet connection do not able to mix together, meaning using on the same ethernet cable.
It is possible if you know how to setup and config a Managed Switch.
There are plenty of Switch available for less than $50 for 8-ports switch.

Suggest to go for HomeHub 1000 with IPTV as they may not be offering any cable set top box from now on, as most likely it would ceased soon.

guys, i heard that now the box can support 2TB HDD for recording.
anyone knows is it any WD model also can work?

thinking of getting this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V7RJCD6/

also anyone tried 4TB or use a hub and have more than 1 HDD?

For IPTV Set top box, with fibre broadband subscription.

This is based on Samsung Set Top box model GX-SH435EH

Refer to > WD My Passport 2TB Harddisk for IPTV Set Top box

Not applicable to use 4TB.

Flanky

Reaction score
The free 1 point connection is basically for new sign-up to 1Gbps fibre broadband plan, but no longer advertised as on request.
The connection is based on point A to B, inclusive of cables and data points at both end.
The cable trunking length could be based on standard HDB flat, usual cost $107 include 7% gst.

Note that there is no IP Switch unless you go for 2 or more IPTV Set top box.
Do note that IPTV and Internet connection do not able to mix together, meaning using on the same ethernet cable.
It is possible if you know how to setup and config a Managed Switch.
There are plenty of Switch available for less than $50 for 8-ports switch.

Suggest to go for HomeHub 1000 with IPTV as they may not be offering any cable set top box from now on, as most likely it would ceased soon.

For IPTV Set top box, with fibre broadband subscription.

This is based on Samsung Set Top box model GX-SH435EH

Refer to > WD My Passport 2TB Harddisk for IPTV Set Top box

Not applicable to use 4TB.

thank you.
Ya. I just recontracted during the ITSHOW. (the $88 HomeHub 1000)
they wanted change my setbox to fibre. so asked if I need to add data point and arranged for me.

currently my fibrebox is in my living room.
my router is besides it, and the cable box is beside my tv which is ~1.5m away from the router/fibrebox

my main comp and small tv is in my bedroom which is abt 5-10 metres away including the "turns" in the hse.
currently my internet connection is via wireless.
so thinking if they can install the fibre/data point in my bedroom, that will be great, so i have a "lan" point foc, or futureproof in case i really do want to put a settop box in my room later. :)
don't mind renting an additional box (for 1 mth?) just for them to add in the switch or points if they will do it...

thanks and noted on the HDD...

keywin

Reaction score
Bros, I recently changed recontract Starhub TV and also changed from my old Hubstation to a normal standard set top box. They gave me the Cisco STB and straightaway I got problem because the 1080i setting doesn't fill up my 55" tv so I have to use the TV aspect zoom to fill up the tv. as u would expect, I found that the HD quality really dropped.

SH advise me to go down to their store to exchange the Cisco STB with the Samsung one. will this actually work? fyi, i only have a contract because I have premier league on cross carriage.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bros, I recently changed recontract Starhub TV and also changed from my old Hubstation to a normal standard set top box. They gave me the Cisco STB and straightaway I got problem because the 1080i setting doesn't fill up my 55" tv so I have to use the TV aspect zoom to fill up the tv. as u would expect, I found that the HD quality really dropped.

SH advise me to go down to their store to exchange the Cisco STB with the Samsung one. will this actually work? fyi, i only have a contract because I have premier league on cross carriage.

Starhub now offer only HD STB hence if your previous is not HD then they would change or upgrade it.

> Set Top box User Guide for your reference.

Hence in fact most, if not all, are of the same spec as up to 1080i and 16:9 aspect ratio.

Even if you change to another STB it would be much the same as not 1080p to suit to new TV sets.

Aspect ratio on 16:9 is standard default, but some channels or shows may reduce to 5:4 or otherwise.

The other issue concern is the Recording features.
Most Samsung model do come without internal HDD.
Hence there is a need to get an external HDD, WD Passport model, and may include cost for recording features to be include.

Currently IPTV STB are Samsung model and do required external HDD.
The cost on the rental is cheaper at $6.00 + recording $4.00 (exclude 7% gst).

Do note that Cable STB may soon be ceased in either late 2019 or early 2020 dateline.

Dreaming

Reaction score
My 55" tv screen is flicking when im using starhub cable tv but my screen did not flick when i'm watching youtube.

Anyone having this issue?

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My 55" tv screen is flicking when im using starhub cable tv but my screen did not flick when i'm watching youtube.

Anyone having this issue?

Check your resolution between STB and TV.

If you are using HDMI splitter consider using with powered supply.

Dreaming

Reaction score
Check your resolution between STB and TV.

If you are using HDMI splitter consider using with powered supply.

Not using HDMI splitter. Resolution for starhub is 1080i while tv is 3840x2160.

I tried turning off the STB for awhile and on it. It seems that there is no flicking now.

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone here rented a second STB (using cable) for their house? I wanna get a second one but find the rental cost a little unreasonable... $16 a month for an additional STB. I might as get a tv box

Dreaming

Reaction score
Not using HDMI splitter. Resolution for starhub is 1080i while tv is 3840x2160.

I tried turning off the STB for awhile and on it. It seems that there is no flicking now.

Flicking still happen and i have to turn off the STB for awhile. Signed up homehub last week and getting fibre setbox so hopefully the issue will be fix!

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Flicking still happen and i have to turn off the STB for awhile. Signed up homehub last week and getting fibre setbox so hopefully the issue will be fix!

Please be present when the technician come to handle the upgrade.

That is to ensure everything is in order before you put your signature.

Any queries is best to ask, anything from TV and Broadband matters, as the technician is there for you at that moment.
Make full use to ask anything that you want to know, by taking note on what you need to know.

The technician will able to answer most of your queries to their best as they are the one who handle the full tech support, not cs that merely pass any queries to them.

I usually do it after the technician completed the initial task as most of them are really friendly and able to answer and even explain a bit more..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.