HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

TV antenna discussion thread

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #91

scv point doesn't transmit digital tv signal... only analogue.
that's why most of us (those in new flats that only got scv point, no rooftop antenna point) cannot recv HD5... have to buy indoor antenna or subscribe SH/ST set top boxes for digital and HD channels.

didn't know that the scv point got digital signal for a limited period... when did it start? didn't know about this news...
it's good if digital tv signal is available thro scv point...
yep i just moved into my new flat in jan .. but over the weekends i lost all digital signals from the SVC coaixial cables.

i donno when this free period thing start ... i was told by the town council/HDB that this "free period" thing exist.
Old 25-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #92

To markasong1,what tv model you are using?the digital tuner can used hybrid mode?

Last edited by KardBoard; 25-09-2010 at 06:38 PM..
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #93

I am not a starhub subscriber.

I plug my TV directly to the coaixal cable point..
previously .. i can watch HD5 , digital 5, digital 8, digital CNA on my samsung TV
suddenly over the weekend all the digital signal kena cut off. now only left with the analog channels nia..

i called up the town council and they say the digital channels are free from starhub for a limited period and if you are not a starhub subscriber, they will cut off the digital channel once the free period over.

is it true ?
No, most new HDB flats signal come with default switch to roof top antenna.

But once your neighbours are starhub subscriber, Starhub would switch all to cable/internet channel.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #94

TV Antenna

Hi all i recently get a plasma tv in my room. However i do not have a wall socket for my tv cable. What kind of antenna should I get and where can I get an affordable one? What's the difference between a digital and analog receiver?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #95
Master Member

Hi all i recently get a plasma tv in my room. However i do not have a wall socket for my tv cable. What kind of antenna should I get and where can I get an affordable one? What's the difference between a digital and analog receiver?
For Digital, you can received the following FTA Digital
broadcast Ch5 HD5 Ch8, CNA.

For analog, you will receive all FTA
Ch5, Ch8, ChU, CNA, OKTO, SURAI, Vasantham

NOTE: U will not receive HD5 in analog.

FTA : Free to Air
Old 10-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #96

For Digital, you can received the following FTA Digital
broadcast Ch5 HD5 Ch8, CNA.

For analog, you will receive all FTA
Ch5, Ch8, ChU, CNA, OKTO, SURAI, Vasantham

NOTE: U will not receive HD5 in analog.

FTA : Free to Air

Thanks for the reply. So in short, the only plus side of a digital receiver is for HD5? Are there any diferences with regards to image quality? In any case how much do these things cost and where can I get them from. Are these receivers like dish-shaped, or V-shaped or whatever else?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #97
Arch-Supremacy Member

digital channels video are clearer as the image do not suffer artefacts such as ghosting caused by signal reflections.

a receiver may not come with antenna (the question you refered to dish/v shape).

your plasma tv, by checking the manual, will tell you does it have analog and digital tuner.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #98

Hi, im planning to get an led tv for my room too. Will installing the wall socket solves the antenna issues ?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #99
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, im planning to get an led tv for my room too. Will installing the wall socket solves the antenna issues ?
provided the wall socket leads to an antenna, if the purpose is to tune to digital channels OTA.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #100

digital channels video are clearer as the image do not suffer artefacts such as ghosting caused by signal reflections.

a receiver may not come with antenna (the question you refered to dish/v shape).

your plasma tv, by checking the manual, will tell you does it have analog and digital tuner.
Thanks for your reply. I just checked and my TV only has an analog tuner. Well any idea where I can get a good and cheap antenna/receiver then? Are dish-shaped ones better? or V-shaped ones? or even those hexogonal ring shaped ones?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #101
d3n
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi guys!

i bought this daiyo TV antenna EU1701 but only manage to receive digital 8, 5, CNA and HD5. But cannot receive channel u and OKTO... these two channel not available via DVB-T? Only analogue is it?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #102

Thanks for your reply. I just checked and my TV only has an analog tuner. Well any idea where I can get a good and cheap antenna/receiver then? Are dish-shaped ones better? or V-shaped ones? or even those hexogonal ring shaped ones?
U can also DIY your own.

Total cost for the various materials is less than $10.

1) Small plywood plank (Daiso sells $2 for 2 small plywood planks)
2) Copper wire (Daiso sells $2 for 5m, I may be wrong)
3) Nuts and bolts (10 sets for 10 holes)
4) Drill (to drill 10 holes for the 10 sets of nuts and bolts)
5) Balun transformer (SLT/SLS, $1)
6) Cable ties (if u want to fix your antenna to the window grill. If not, u can also build a small stand for the antenna).

*This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #103

hi guys!

i bought this daiyo TV antenna EU1701 but only manage to receive digital 8, 5, CNA and HD5. But cannot receive channel u and OKTO... these two channel not available via DVB-T? Only analogue is it?
Channels broadcast currently in DVB-T in Singapore only has Digital 8, 5, CNA and HD5.

There are some other channels but they are mainly for trials and testing purposes.

*This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #104
d3n
Arch-Supremacy Member

Channels broadcast currently in DVB-T in Singapore only has Digital 8, 5, CNA and HD5.

There are some other channels but they are mainly for trials and testing purposes.
thanks for info!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #105
Arch-Supremacy Member

if you want to receive digital channels, since your tv has no digital tuner, you have 3 choices - miotv, starhub or DVB-T tuner.

long time ago Draco is the main supplier of digital tuner for mediacorp's digital channel (HD5) trial. not sure do they still sell it, you can always check the url below

http://www.dracobox.com/sg2/html/hd_5_lift_off.html

check with the retail shop regarding recommended antenna for this draco stb.

sometimes you'll see forumers here selling their draco 3900 hdtv tuner.

actually, most important - we are assuming you can receive digital channel OTA somehow - meaning your block/unit is not blocked, and you are facing the correct direction (if not using rooftop antenna).

Last edited by alanchia67; 11-01-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.