HTC Desire 816

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They actually put in a module to test for amp.
Means the ROM on phone only wants 1A charger.
Will this affect usage of a portable battery pack which outputs, let's say, 2A. Isn't it possible for the phone itself to regulate how much current is allowed for charging? Afterall, the power bank will only discharge as much current as the phone draws for charging its battery, doesn't it?

I smell potential hassle if it doesn't, as a lot, if not most, power banks solely output 5V/2 and above amps.

Last edited:

DFR6868

Master Member
Reaction score
Will this affect usage of a portable battery pack which outputs, let's say, 2A. Isn't it possible for the phone itself to regulate how much current is allowed for charging? Afterall, the power bank will only discharge as much current as the phone draws for charging its battery, doesn't it?

I smell potential hassle if it doesn't, as a lot, if not most, power banks solely output 5V/2 and above amps.

Power pack would have a 1A outlet besides 2.1A.
Well at least mine has.

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Power pack would have a 1A outlet besides 2.1A.
Well at least mine has.
Most new ones did away with the 1A port and instead have 2A onwards. But that just shows the maximum current output the port allows, which means the phone still draws as much current (1A ?) as it allows doesn' it? I really hope the current flow check is just for those chargers with fixed current output one. Otherwise, it'd clash with my decision of getting a power bank to go with it.

jackasshole3

Reaction score
The phone back is too shiny and glossy, surely easy to be scratch by keys, lighters.
those who have this, how's the batter life looks like? Don't tel me the gsm PAPER SPEC LIFE of 64hr, I want to know the real time normal usage can last one full day anot

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally got myself one, in dark blue. From my usage so far, I found it to be responsive and relatively smooth. The back plate is indeed a grease magnet but can be easily cleaned (against my pants or shirt no less, but no visible scratches as of yet). I'd recommend screen protector and case still, to make it more aesthetically durable while in your pocket (of course don't place together with your keys, spare change or lighter!).

Luckily, the power bank I bought does charge up the phone nicely, charge rate about 1A there about (output max 2A), so that settles the incompatibility worry that I had. Screen is amazing too; well, I'm a first-time smartphone owner so I'm easily satisfied. :o

The phone back is too shiny and glossy, surely easy to be scratch by keys, lighters.
those who have this, how's the batter life looks like? Don't tel me the gsm PAPER SPEC LIFE of 64hr, I want to know the real time normal usage can last one full day anot
Though it isn't conclusive, I have to say the battery life is pretty decent for a phone of this calibre. Yesterday, when I first got it and booted it up for the first time, I got 83% to start with.

After some substantial screen-on time tweaking settings and surfing and downloading stuff on wifi, plus taking some photos to test camera and listening to some music and radio, left with 49% after almost 5.5 hours.

Before I slept, charged it full then turn off screen and wifi, idle more than 12 hours, woke up with 95%. However, all this is without the SIM card actually installed. I believe the idle draw will definitely be slightly higher as it latches on to GSM network.

EDIT [13/6]: I fired up CPU-Z and saw that the chipset listed is MSM8226 (dual-SIM and China models get MSM8228; the rest gets MSM8928). On Wiki, that chipset only has the Cortex-A7 up to 1.2GHz and no LTE connectivity. The clock speed on my set does rev up to 1.6GHz, so I hope my prized LTE connectivity is there too and the chipset shown is actually not what it is!

EDIT [15/6]: Just got a 4G nano-SIM and installed it. The phone does indeed have LTE enabled, so that's a sigh of relief there lol.

Last edited:

adix_82

Banned
Reaction score
Clasy Korea Tempered Glass Screen Protector designed for HTC Desire 816
529705_312459875499249_193539643_n.jpg

10464105_1608156809410045_5622005239644474782_n.jpg

10423289_1608156789410047_5997895493082708410_n.jpg

10342405_1608156816076711_6557112154448029330_n.jpg

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here's another short and incomprehensive review from me. I'm by no means a heavy user, so your mileage may vary.

BATTERY:
After some long idle periods with my SIM card installed without wifi or mobile data on, I notice it drains about 6% per 24hr regardless if it's in Extreme Power Saving or without. I guess that's pretty good idle drain rate, though no way near the 700+hr as claimed by manufacturer. Simple math puts the real estimate at 400hrs (16+ days).

While on constant surf usage (mixed browsing, downloading apps on Play Store, Youtube, Instagram etc) on wifi, it drops about 1% every 6-7 mins, so I guess a full battery would last about 10 hours with such usage. With LTE on instead, definitely drain quicker.

UPD (21/6): Tried leaving mobile data on overnight 12 hrs and it drained 6%, so drain rate is double with data on on idle screen-off state as compared to having data off.

Overall, a decent battery life of something this size and hardware complement. Definitely can get you through even a long day at work with moderate-heavy use. Charges up within 3 hours from bare minimum to full too. However, it certainly could do with an even larger battery given the phone's dimensions.

BODY:
I must emphasise that the glossy back and screen are really grease magnets. You'll find yourself wiping them against your shirt or pants if you're using it outside home without a microfiber cloth to do a proper job. Hence, get a case and screen protector (even a cheap one is fine; just for the sake of it) and in exchange, a piece of mind that you'll not create loads of micro-scratches all over. The matte front and side can certainly be lightly scratched with your fingernails if you put some effort doing so, like I did when trying to remove my phone from the case (literally gripping and prying).

SOUND:
It is amazing. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

Mike_Lim

Reaction score
HTC Desire 816 review [PhoneDog]

Cam reviews the mid-range Desire 816 by HTC. It's a solid, plastic device with a 720p 5.5-inch LCD display. It's big, has great BoomSound speakers, a decent 13MP camera and incredible battery life. It's surprisingly good.

With any lower-end phone, you expect a major compromise or two here and there. But with the Desire 816, not once during use did I get frustrated or unenthused about any of it. Even without the "mid-range" label, it's still a fantastic phone that can last 2 whole days with light/regular use.

HTC Desire 816 review - YouTube

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HTC Desire 816 cannot charge at 2A speed?
Don't think so. If the phone only draws 1A, that's how much current will be provided by the charger/power bank, no matter how high a current they can provide.

Dorkable

Reaction score
Don't think so. If the phone only draws 1A, that's how much current will be provided by the charger/power bank, no matter how high a current they can provide.

That is so weird, considering Desire 816 is a new model and a sizeable batt. Even Moto G which shares the same chipset as 816 can support 2A with its smaller 2070 mAh batt.

The charger that comes with 816 indicates only 1A output? :eek:

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is so weird, considering Desire 816 is a new model and a sizeable batt. Even Moto G which shares the same chipset as 816 can support 2A with its smaller 2070 mAh batt.

The charger that comes with 816 indicates only 1A output? :eek:
Yeah, and it gets bloody hot to the touch already (my finger "thermometer" reads about 70-80+ deg C while charging is under way) (the HTC charger, not the phone). I can't imagine how 2A output would feel like! On the other hand, 1A charge rate is plenty fast enough; less than 3 hours for a full charge which could pretty much last days of normal use. My power bank has 2.1A outputs but it charges just as fast as the official HTC charger, so there you have it. The phone only draws about 1A for charging.

Last edited:

Dorkable

Reaction score
Yeah, and it gets bloody hot to the touch already (my finger "thermometer" reads about 70-80+ deg C while charging is under way) (the HTC charger, not the phone). I can't imagine how 2A output would feel like! On the other hand, 1A charge rate is plenty fast enough; less than 3 hours for a full charge which could pretty much last days of normal use.

In actual noticed fact, it is actually less than 1A charge rate but rather more like 900+mA. My power bank has 2.1A outputs but it charges just as fast as the official HTC charger, so there you have it. The phone only draws about 1A for charging.

That's such a pity. 1A for a large batt like that :(

But Desire 816 is a very good looker in my opinion though, especially the white one. And it feels very good in the hand.

Dorkable

Reaction score
There aren't many good or nice cases for this model :( Went to Sim Lim Square but the ones there are pretty overpriced and honestly, kinda dreadful looking :(

Nuclear Boy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There aren't many good or nice cases for this model :( Went to Sim Lim Square but the ones there are pretty overpriced and honestly, kinda dreadful looking :(
I just bought the official translucent hard shell for it, comes with screen protector and application card and also microfibre cloth in the same package. With a phone of this tier, you wouldn't be worried about scratched body or screen, since sooner or later, they'll be covered with them. You wouldn't be worried about survivability from drops too, since it'll be quite broken if you really suay suay drop it face down. :s13: Just go for a simple and cheap one for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.