[HELP] AP mode setup

caniggia

Reaction score
I'm setting up access point in my master room with LAN port (3). Currently, my router is connected to LAN port (1) in living room with the ONT being placed inside the hdb db box cabinet and connected to port (1).
Where does the port (3) inside the db box goes to complete the setup?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this your set up.
Inside db box:
TP -> ONT -> wired > Port 1
And
Living room: Data point (LAN) Port 1 -> Router.

The setup should be;
TP -> ONT -> Router ->> wired to all the ports 1, 2, 3.
The ports in the db box are known as data points.
The other end of these data points are in living n bedrooms data points, name accordingly.
Then you can add routers to these data points which connect as Access Points.
You can connect using LAN cable from rooms data points to computers as wired connection.
Each routers can have its own wireless signal.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ideally Router is placed outside the db box for wireless signal.
As db box is usually situated near main door of the living room.

To better assist you do state details as ISP, plan, router model, etc.
And to state your intention on how you want.

AP means access point.
In other to have additional connection for additional routers n mesh network to work it is set as access point.
While the router connect direct to ONT is the primary Router.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm setting up access point in my master room with LAN port (3). Currently, my router is connected to LAN port (1) in living room with the ONT being placed inside the hdb db box cabinet and connected to port (1).
One way to solve your problem is to put a small router into the db box, like a mikrotik hex. This will be your main router, connected to the ONT. Your current router in the living room has to be converted to another AP, just like the new one in the MBR. Both of these APs will just be connected to the lan ports of the db box router.

Apex

Reaction score

The Cable from the Master room need to goes to your Router... So behind your router has 1-4 any port will do... usually most ISP is like that

BTW what your ISP and equipment?

caniggia

Reaction score
Is this your set up.
Inside db box:
TP -> ONT -> wired > Port 1
And
Living room: Data point (LAN) Port 1 -> Router.

The setup should be;
TP -> ONT -> Router ->> wired to all the ports 1, 2, 3.
The ports in the db box are known as data points.
The other end of these data points are in living n bedrooms data points, name accordingly.
Then you can add routers to these data points which connect as Access Points.
You can connect using LAN cable from rooms data points to computers as wired connection.
Each routers can have its own wireless signal.

My equipments : ISP myrepublic, Asus RC-AT88U router and tplink RE500 wifi extender.

Correct my current setup is what you described.
So given my situation, I need to this?
TP -> ONT -> Router (has to be inside db box) -> lan port (3) of data points -> lan port (3) of MBR to wifi extender?

If wanna place router outside db box, I need to get another router to be primary beside ONT?

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
11542994883_5ea684f3e3.jpg

This is how ppl put the router in the db box.
I would suggest that your replace it router in the picture with a 5port or 8 port unmanaged switch (usually call between $35 - $75) according to your needs. These switches are easily available in Hachi/Lazada/Shoppee.

The only challenge now is you need to lay a 2nd lan cable (aka loop back cable) from the RT-AC88U back from living room to the switch in the db box. This way you no need to put the router in the db box and can fully utilise its capability.

Last edited:

caniggia

Reaction score
11542994883_5ea684f3e3.jpg

This is how ppl put the router in the db box.
I would suggest that your replace it router in the picture with a 5port or 8 port unmanaged switch (usually call between $35 - $75) according to your needs. These switches are easily available in Hachi/Lazada/Shoppee.

The only challenge now is you need to lay a 2nd lan cable (aka loop back cable) from the RT-AC88U back from living room to the switch in the db box. This way you no need to put the router in the db box and can fully utilise its capability.

Is there other option having the router still in the living room and setup ap in MBR without the need to buy a switch and lay loop back lan cable from router to switch?

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Then follow Ah-Pin-Kor suggestion on post #4

Do note that doing so you will not utilise your RT-AC88U full capabilities. It can only function as an AP

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hQA02fn.jpg

This is mine as everything is outside.
This is locate behind the main door and it is in the living room.
As mentioned the setup from TP -> ONT -> Router -> wired to the db box.

So it depend on how you like to put the ONT & Router.
As Ah-Pin-Kor mentioned in post 4, it is an option for you, if due to distance n location.
Do take a look on the mikrotik hex as to give you an idea.

Last edited:

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
mikrotik hex not cheap right. I remember last time it was selling $140++

Might as well get a cheaper 1gbps wireless router to put in DB (disable wifi)

moron+genius

Reaction score

There r cheap Bnib AC routers selling in hwz market place worth looking at or get a 2nd hand Asus N56U.

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

the quality and support is there.

you buy consumer brands, if got security patches released within weeks of the vulnerability made known, you should be happy liao.

i used the provided d-link router for starhub, so much issues. the mikrotik hex gave me none. no need to restart it either, because no issues.

caniggia

Reaction score

Thanks guys for the responds. Above is my current setup inside the db box, since its already being linked up to all data points around the house. Am I right to say best way forward would be placing the asus router into the db box. I just need buy LAN cables to hook up to living room tv and tplink wifi extender as access point in MBR?

Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
If you decided to place the RT-AC88U in the db box, then just need to get an AP for each, one in the Living room and one in the MBR to extend the Wifi

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems a waste putting AC88 inside the box, maybe grab basic router as the main and convert AC88 to AP put it outside ?

caniggia

Reaction score
Seems a waste putting AC88 inside the box, maybe grab basic router as the main and convert AC88 to AP put it outside ?

I think so too. But can a router turned AP be still connect LAN to tv, ps4, amplifier etc?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's why i used a switch in my room to connect to computers and HDD server.
And the room AP router is connect to the switch.
As the switch is direct from primary Router LAN port via data point.

idjekyll

Reaction score
Hi. I have the same situation since moving in to a BTO soon. I got the new linsys router and I am thinking of getting another wireless router like the AC88U as well to be used in the following set up.

TP ->ONT ->Linksys ->4 short ethernet cables to 4 data points -> wireless router (living room)/data point nearest TV/Wired Connection to PC/ AP at MBR (unimportant as of yet).

Should I get a cheap gigabit switch and use the given Starhub Linksys router or buy another router like the AC88U? From the location of where the Living router will be, it has zero physical disruption in terms of walls etc all the way to the MBR.

Also, would a $40 TPLink gigabit switch work just as well as a Mikrotik Hex? I just need all the data points in the house to work.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.