[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Messi086

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering topping up to get the ASUS RT-AC88U when I contract the 1gbps fibre broadband service with M1 next month. I currently still have the Dlink DIR 865L router from starhub and am considering using the Dlink either as an AP or wireless repeater/extender.

First of all, as I am quite a noobie to this, can the Dlink router be configured as a AP or wireless extender and if so, are there guidelines to configure the settings?

Second, I read for an AP, it must be connected by cable to the AC88U In my apartment, there are already ethernet ports in some areas of the house. Can I make use of these ethernet ports to connect my Dlink to the AC88U? If the Dlink is used as a wireless extender, then will the speed from the extender is slower than if it is used as an AP?

Thanks.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering topping up to get the ASUS RT-AC88U when I contract the 1gbps fibre broadband service with M1 next month. I currently still have the Dlink DIR 865L router from starhub and am considering using the Dlink either as an AP or wireless repeater/extender.

First of all, as I am quite a noobie to this, can the Dlink router be configured as a AP or wireless extender and if so, are there guidelines to configure the settings?

Second, I read for an AP, it must be connected by cable to the AC88U In my apartment, there are already ethernet ports in some areas of the house. Can I make use of these ethernet ports to connect my Dlink to the AC88U? If the Dlink is used as a wireless extender, then will the speed from the extender is slower than if it is used as an AP?

Thanks.

Yes to both questions.

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks.
about six months ago i signed up m1, paid $180 for ac88u, still unopened, don't they have later model now?

Sent from Samsung SM-G950F using GAGT

MicceL

Reaction score
Looking for a router to act as an ap for my 4rm flat. I am going to put it in the middle room.. which will be a good and budget option.. ac1200g+, ac58u or ac53? My main router will be ac88u.

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking for a router to act as an ap for my 4rm flat. I am going to put it in the middle room.. which will be a good and budget option.. ac1200g+, ac58u or ac53? My main router will be ac88u.

I was on a very cheap budget so I experimented using Xiaomi router on my parents house . Need to flash the firmwre to become englisb. Cost less than $20 from q10. It's not a gigabit but works like a charm. Not recommended for those with 1gbps connection

aLpHa-Ev7

Reaction score
I was on a very cheap budget so I experimented using Xiaomi router on my parents house . Need to flash the firmwre to become englisb. Cost less than $20 from q10. It's not a gigabit but works like a charm. Not recommended for those with 1gbps connection

which one you go?

AP connected via LAN or?

gracees1905

Reaction score
Help with missing 2.4ghz

Hi, just wondering if anyone have experience this before. For some reason, my 2.4g light is blinking but i can't seem to find the network. Usually we are able to see two different SSID the 2.4g and the 5g. But i can't seem to find the 2.4g, and i have set both the wifi SSID different. I also have reset the router settings but still the 2.4g is still missing. Any kind soul mind helping?

tankee531

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone have experience this before. For some reason, my 2.4g light is blinking but i can't seem to find the network. Usually we are able to see two different SSID the 2.4g and the 5g. But i can't seem to find the 2.4g, and i have set both the wifi SSID different. I also have reset the router settings but still the 2.4g is still missing. Any kind soul mind helping?

what are your settings for the 2.4GHz?

using default or customized?

gracees1905

Reaction score
it should be default settings.

This the settings for the 2.4g
Wireless Mode - Auto
Channel bandwidth - 20/40
Control Channel - Auto Current Control Channel: 10
Extension Channel - Auto

alfseeto

Reaction score
I'm currently on M1 1Gbps plan, using Asus AC87U that is connected via Ethernet cable to my PC. But my flat has Wifi deadzones and I'm thinking of recontracting with M1 to get the free Lyra Mesh.

Does the Lyra replace the AC87U or used together with it? I see the Lyra specs are max speed 867Mbps, so does that mean if I connect my PC to it (via ethernet) I won't get as fast as the AC87U for downloading?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To get 1gbps bandwidth you must connect to the primary node. If not you won't get full bandwidth by connecting to secondary nodes when it's on wireless backhaul..

I'm currently on M1 1Gbps plan, using Asus AC87U that is connected via Ethernet cable to my PC. But my flat has Wifi deadzones and I'm thinking of recontracting with M1 to get the free Lyra Mesh.

Does the Lyra replace the AC87U or used together with it? I see the Lyra specs are max speed 867Mbps, so does that mean if I connect my PC to it (via ethernet) I won't get as fast as the AC87U for downloading?

tankee531

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it should be default settings.

This the settings for the 2.4g
Wireless Mode - Auto
Channel bandwidth - 20/40
Control Channel - Auto Current Control Channel: 10
Extension Channel - Auto

is your SSID hidden ?

are you using Mac Filter?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.