[Maylyn's Preview ~ Networking] ASUS RT-AC68U

Gum

Reaction score
What Gum experienced above is precisely the reason why I always install bare minimal drivers for all the components in my pc.

Anything that is not needed for the part to function will not not be installed to minimize any conflicts

Fully agreed! In this case the driver was automatically installed together with the AMD catalyst package.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
RMerlin's 380.57 alpha test builds are out for all ASUS Broadcom based Routers until some time in Dec for next.

[Preview] 380.57 alpha test builds for all models

Hi everyone,

I don't know when I'll be able to wrap up an actual release (probably won't until some time in December), so I decided for the time being to upload test builds on Mediafire.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49//Test Builds

While I won't be answering most of the reports posted in the thread, I will be reading every one of them. I'm mostly interested in reading feedback about the new DNSSec support, what might have been fixed (or broken) in Asus's 378_858 code.

A factory default reset is not required if coming from 378.56_2. If you run into any odd issue, then do go ahead and proceed with a factory default reset, in case you might be carrying on some old issues.

Note that these builds have received NO extended testing so far, aside from the RT-AC88U build. Also, the changelog isn't complete yet, you might need to check the Github commit for the details of what was changed (those builds were generated on November 23rd):

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commits/master

Thanks.

xiaode1987

Reaction score
Hi,

anyone can advise me?

Previously i was on the telco starhub fiber broadband 200M, using asus 68u my 5G wifi i could get 110 Mbps using laptop at my bedroom, and just bedside router my iPhone 6 can get 202Mbps and at my bedroom i could get 180 Mbps.

but after i change telco to singtel fiber 500M, the speed on wired i could only get 300+ Mbps instead of 500Mbps but upload i could get almost 500 Mbps. Then at my room, wifi i could only get 40 Mbps both laptop and Iphone 6. And just beside the router, wifi i could only get 80Mbps.

i have try upgrade the latest firmware, reboot and even factory restore. it does not solve the problem.

Kindly advise.

Thanks

xolatw

Reaction score
my router seems to have wifi issues, sending texts on whatsapp sometimes takes up to 1min to send through and this happens randomly. after changing to my backup archer c7, this problem seems to be solved. any idea how to send the router for exchange?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my router seems to have wifi issues, sending texts on whatsapp sometimes takes up to 1min to send through and this happens randomly. after changing to my backup archer c7, this problem seems to be solved. any idea how to send the router for exchange?

go to this address with your proof of purchase, and the router itself. no need power adapter and the box. they will swap a new unit for you by taking back the old one, the rest of the supplies remain unchanged..

http://www.avertek.com.sg/Contact.html

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this firmware better than Asus official?

In terms of features, he added some enhancements which the official firmware don't have. But in terms of stability, there might be slight enhancement or none at all, it all depends how difficult is it to code..

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In terms of features, he added some enhancements which the official firmware don't have. But in terms of stability, there might be slight enhancement or none at all, it all depends how difficult is it to code..
In short, merlin firmware have more enhancements. Other than that no difference from the official firmware?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In short, merlin firmware have more enhancements. Other than that no difference from the official firmware?

exactly.. he will not go to the extent of crushing those major but not critical bugs as well, that was what he said on SNB. the r&d is still dependent on asus while he merely do his part to add a few enhancements here and there according to the general demand.

An example is he added the quantenna driver version and cpu temps on the webui for ac87u..

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
exactly.. he will not go to the extent of crushing those major but not critical bugs as well, that was what he said on SNB. the r&d is still dependent on asus while he merely do his part to add a few enhancements here and there according to the general demand.

An example is he added the quantenna driver version and cpu temps on the webui for ac87u..
ic thanks for the info because I noted that a number of people here like merlin firmware

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ic thanks for the info because I noted that a number of people here like merlin firmware

Hahas.. but merlin is generally one or 2 firmware versions behind the latest one.. so some of the optimisation in official firmware might be or might not be present in his asuswrt.. up to individual user to decide..

nintendo

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has poorer coverage on this ac68u as compared to the aztech 7003-j variant?

speedtest results also seem lower than the aztech, make me rethink if it is an upgrade =(

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has poorer coverage on this ac68u as compared to the aztech 7003-j variant?

speedtest results also seem lower than the aztech, make me rethink if it is an upgrade =(

no head no tail, how u expect us to tell you? :D

nintendo

Reaction score
no head no tail, how u expect us to tell you? :D

After I changed to the ac68u, certain area of the unit has poorer 5Ghz reception, just wondering if the weaker range is a known issue or did I miss out any configuration. Same range capabilities on asus firmware and merlin.

Thanks!

j_t_fusion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After I changed to the ac68u, certain area of the unit has poorer 5Ghz reception, just wondering if the weaker range is a known issue or did I miss out any configuration. Same range capabilities on asus firmware and merlin.

Thanks!

generally the higher the channel bandwidth, the lower the range.

try comparing the settings between the two router and see where different.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.