HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC3200 Router

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #211

Have been planning to extend my wireless network in the house after relocating my FTP and AC68U to my utility room and was looking at the Ubiquiti UniFi-AC unit to set up as an AP. Now wondering if I should go with the AC3200 instead since pricing for both is around the same. Any advice?
Old 21-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #212

I encounter frequent music stop issue using AirPlay with SC turn ON on latest firmware. No problem with standard 3 SSID. Anybody has similar experience and how to resolve if I want to use SC?
xenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #213

Regarding the warranty we need to register online? or just based on receipt next time?
Gondon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #214
High Supremacy Member

Regarding the warranty we need to register online? or just based on receipt next time?
Brother .... don't worry about warranty lah ......

Asus know it launch March 2015 ... die die will give you warranty till Jan/Feb 2018.

1 yr later from now it will worth maybe $150-$200 ... till then change new one liao... AC8888 maybe....
trichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #215
High Supremacy Member

I encounter frequent music stop issue using AirPlay with SC turn ON on latest firmware. No problem with standard 3 SSID. Anybody has similar experience and how to resolve if I want to use SC?
Try to do some minor adjustment to the rule

Read at

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...missing-manual
Old 21-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #216

Brother .... don't worry about warranty lah ......

Asus know it launch March 2015 ... die die will give you warranty till Jan/Feb 2018.

1 yr later from now it will worth maybe $150-$200 ... till then change new one liao... AC8888 maybe....
wah..keeps on changing needs $$$...
Gondon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #217
High Supremacy Member

wah..keeps on changing needs $$$...
Not much lah .......... things wil get cheaper....

By the way those who wanted to adjust SC .... keep other value at defult but adjust the BW utliisation under "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures"

Adjust both 5Ghz band percentage to balance between both. Remove 2.4Ghz and set that to none so that once phone log on to 5Ghz it will not drop to 2.4Ghz .

Test out the situation and play around ....
Old 21-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #218
Master Member

Re

Not much lah .......... things wil get cheaper....

By the way those who wanted to adjust SC .... keep other value at defult but adjust the BW utliisation under "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures"

Adjust both 5Ghz band percentage to balance between both. Remove 2.4Ghz and set that to none so that once phone log on to 5Ghz it will not drop to 2.4Ghz .

Test out the situation and play around ....

Correct me if I'm wrong. 5GHz is for better penetration whilst 2.4GHz is for better distance.

If I've a device which operates on dual band (i.e. 2.4 and 5GHz) then moving nearer the router would definitely get a stronger signal from the 5GHz. If I move further away (especially with walls in-between) then the device should automatically connect using 2.4GHz through SC for maintaining a better signal, no?

If you removed the 2.4GHz then moving further away would the 5GHz gives a better signal as compared if it's connected using 2.4GHz? Also, what if you have devices which operate on 2.4GHz besides those operating on dual bands?

Last edited by Apparatus; 21-04-2015 at 09:00 PM..
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #219
High Supremacy Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. 5GHz is for better penetration whilst 2.4GHz is for better distance.

If I've a device which operates on dual band (i.e. 2.4 and 5GHz) then moving nearer the router would definitely get a stronger signal from the 5GHz. If I move further away (especially with walls in-between) then the device should automatically connect using 2.4GHz through SC for maintaining a better signal, no?

If you removed the 2.4GHz then moving further away would the 5GHz gives a better signal as compared if it's connected using 2.4GHz? Also, what if you have devices which operate on 2.4GHz besides those operating on dual bands?
Good you understand the logic what I want to do and to add on my intentions

Mine is a 4room flat so 5ghz coverage is good in all room .. Some corners does show 2.4g stronger but I still want to stay on 5ghz hence I prefer not to drop into 2.4g

Last edited by trichard; 21-04-2015 at 09:13 PM..
Old 21-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #220
Master Member

It's the opposite 2.4GHz has better radio penetration and longer range over 5GHz. 5GHz is for higher throughput.

Wireless computer network equipment typically uses radio signals in either a 2.4 GHz range or a 5 GHz range.

The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n and 802.11ac routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac specifically expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band.

Advantages of 5GHz:
The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products. The 5GHz band can also offer much higher throughput (using the right technology) with the same channel width. It has 23 non-overlapping channels vs. only 3 in the 2.4 GHz band. 802.11ac in the 5GHz band implements many newer technologies, such as, MU-MIMO, beamforming, etc.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:
In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside buildings with solid walls and floors. Recent 802.11ac devices, however, are able to mitigate some of this disadvantage by using beamforming.

The Bottom Line:
5GHz and 2.4GHz are simply different frequencies, each with its advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, some recent routers have the capability for dual-band operation in both ranges simultaneously. 5GHz offers higher throughput at a shorter distance, while 2.4GHz offers increased coverage and higher solid object penetration. Beamforming and other newer technologies allow 802.11ac to achieve cleaner signals with 5GHz in many situations where the 2.4GHz spectrum is congested. The migration to wider adoption of 5GHz will probably continue with the shift to the higher throughput 802.11ac.

Last edited by maylyn; 21-04-2015 at 09:47 PM..
maylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #221
Master Member

Good you understand the logic what I want to do and to add on my intentions

Mine is a 4room flat so 5ghz coverage is good in all room .. Some corners does show 2.4g stronger but I still want to stay on 5ghz hence I prefer not to drop into 2.4g
4room QBay residences condominium ah? Luckily your neighbors isn't mine I whack my WiFi on all non overlapping channels until they are zzz?

~ OT ~

5GHz awesomeness

+ some new ASUS networking announcements coming soon

Last edited by maylyn; 22-04-2015 at 01:55 AM..
maylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #222
Master Member

It's the opposite 2.4GHz has better radio penetration and longer range over 5GHz. 5GHz is for higher throughput.
Since both are of the same throughtput at 54Mbps if both are at near distance to the router then theoretically both should perform the same. So no advantage of greater throughput from 5GHz here, right? And if both are further from the router at the same distance then 2.4GHz reigns, right? That is both are without walls in-between.

And if there are walls in-between then near or far would imply 2.4GHz is still better than 5GHz, right again?

Last edited by Apparatus; 22-04-2015 at 06:10 AM..
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #223
Arch-Supremacy Member

4room QBay residences condominium ah? Luckily your neighbors isn't mine I whack my WiFi on all non overlapping channels until they are zzz?

~ OT ~

5GHz awesomeness

+ some new ASUS networking announcements coming soon
why are their routers looking more and more like an alien spaceship? as though they can fly.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #224
Supremacy Member

why are their routers looking more and more like an alien spaceship? as though they can fly.
A secret drone in the making lah
Old 22-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #225
High Supremacy Member

Try this setting .....

First Load the Default , the adjust the BW percentage and apply , reboot .

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.