[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

SimonLam

Reaction score
Turn off adaptive QoS if you are using fibre plan >100mbps. I had router lockup once when turn on AIProtection on 2678 but still monitoring.

Could be some bugs

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi ASUS@SG / Maylyn or any gurus,

Currently the AC87U is in my study room and the wireless signal in my daughter's room is pretty weak. She's unable to stream videos to her tablet / mobile phone in her room.

Will it help if I were to install the EA-AC87 in her room when it's available so as to boost the wireless signal in her room?

Will the EA-AC87 be able to act as a wireless access point or do I still need to connect another router (I have a spare N66U) to one of it's LAN ports so that she can get strong wireless signal in her room?

Would appreciate any guidance as I've tried many options like powerline adapter, range extender, etc and the signal is still very weak. Laying LAN cable is not an option as it's too far away.

Some basic info: 200Mbps fibre, HDB 4-room.

Thanks.

Dear oric1,

May i know your daughter's device connect to RT-AC87U by 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

I would advise you don't waste your money. Why don't use RT-N66U act as a repeater?

Wireless <---->Wireless
RT-AC87U ---------RT-N66U ------- Daughter's devices

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi ASUS@SG,

Do you have any issues when you turned on your Adaptive QoS and AiProtection?

I only turned on my Adaptive QoS but not the AiProtection cos this guy in SNB got locked up when he turned on both even on the latest 2678 firmware.

SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

Dear oric1,

As what SimonLam said, turn off QoS and i advise you to turn on AIProtection.

I always switch on AIProtection and so far didn't encounter any issue.

If you guys have issue with AIProtection, please let feedback to me and provide me details.

Best regard,
JK

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. last night finally done with the setup and wiring of my 2 x AC87.

The media bridge is not so strong for me. getting link speed of ard 780mbps only. But still much faster then my old setup using powerline.

As my room wireless signal is still not strong. I got one prolink WNR1004 small travel router to act as wireless AP connecting to one of the AC87 media bridge lan port.

But how come some device is unable to connect to it? as in its connected but alway having problem getting IP address for the unit and after that it DC.

I tried on my old setup with an old belkin router set as AP connected from my aztech powerline lan and previously all no issue.

I tried on the old belkin router connected tot he media bridge unit lan. having the same problem unable to obtain ip address and then dc.

bug in ac87 or wat setting i need to do?

thank you.

evildoctor

Reaction score
Hey guys, so right now I have replaced my singtel router. Is there any way that I could make use of this router? Can I act as a wifi repeater or wifi adapted? The singtel router is the Aztech router

oric1

Reaction score
Dear oric1,

May i know your daughter's device connect to RT-AC87U by 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

I would advise you don't waste your money. Why don't use RT-N66U act as a repeater?

Wireless <---->Wireless
RT-AC87U ---------RT-N66U ------- Daughter's devices

Best regard,
JK

Hi JK,

Both 2.4Ghz signal were quite weak in her room, 5Ghz is like non-existence :(.

As I've no knowledge of how to setup a repeater, is it possible to guide me with step-by-step instructions :D Thanks!

floorplan_zps16f97687.jpg~original

oric1

Reaction score
Dear oric1,

As what SimonLam said, turn off QoS and i advise you to turn on AIProtection.

I always switch on AIProtection and so far didn't encounter any issue.

If you guys have issue with AIProtection, please let feedback to me and provide me details.

Best regard,
JK

Ok will turn it off and give AiProtection a try. Thanks JK & Simon.

SimonLam

Reaction score
JK,

Some bugs found in AIProtection on .2678.

I found that with Vulnerability Protection set to ON, my upload speedtest to MR and general speedtest servers will always hang at around 80-90% of upload leg.. and then proceed to timeout.

This always happen on Wireless Router LAN, 5Ghz wireless, and at PC in Media Bridge, to both speedtest.myrepublic.com.sg and speedtest.net:

'Max' Settings that allow full speedtest to be completed are:

- Malicious Site Blocking = ON
- Vulnerability Protection = OFF
- Infected Device Blocking and Prevention = ON (with gmail email notification)
- Web & Apps Filters = ON without any entry. Cant OFF it AND ON Malicious Site Blocking at same time.

Last edited:

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi JK,

Both 2.4Ghz signal were quite weak in her room, 5Ghz is like non-existence :(.

As I've no knowledge of how to setup a repeater, is it possible to guide me with step-by-step instructions :D Thanks!

Can you move the router out of Bedroom 2 and into the Living Hall? That way, the wireless signals do not need to travel through two walls.

oric1

Reaction score
Can you move the router out of Bedroom 2 and into the Living Hall? That way, the wireless signals do not need to travel through two walls.

I've printer, NAS and other devices connected to the LAN port including my PC so it's a bit tough for me.

Was hoping to use the N66U as repeater or maybe buy the EA-AC87 when it's out but can the EA-AC87 broadcast wireless signal or must I connect another router to it?

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
I've printer, NAS and other devices connected to the LAN port including my PC so it's a bit tough for me.

Was hoping to use the N66U as repeater or maybe buy the EA-AC87 when it's out but can the EA-AC87 broadcast wireless signal or must I connect another router to it?

You just need to move the router out, then pull a line back into Bedroom 3, and add a switch for all your peripherals in Bedroom 3.

evildoctor

Reaction score
Hey guys right now My singtel router is doing. Can I make it as a wifi repeater or like a wifi adapter? How do I bridge it?

oric1

Reaction score
You just need to move the router out, then pull a line back into Bedroom 3, and add a switch for all your peripherals in Bedroom 3.

Hey ARCHer thanks for the suggestion :)

What if I do this : ONT -> AC87U -> N66U

AC87U still remain in the masterbed room, I bridge it to N66U and put N66U in the living hall. Will it have the same effect as moving AC87U to the living hall and my daughter's room will have better signal than before?

SimonLam

Reaction score
Hey ARCHer thanks for the suggestion :)

What if I do this : ONT -> AC87U -> N66U

AC87U still remain in the masterbed room, I bridge it to N66U and put N66U in the living hall. Will it have the same effect as moving AC87U to the living hall and my daughter's room will have better signal than before?

media (or aka wireless) bridge you can only connect wired devices and USB devices. It is not a repeater or AP.

5Ghz wireless signal degrades over distance and obstacles. So as long as your Wireless Router (AC87U) is at an blocked location, you will get weak signals..

Andread

Reaction score
media (or aka wireless) bridge you can only connect wired devices and USB devices. It is not a repeater or AP.

5Ghz wireless signal degrades over distance and obstacles. So as long as your Wireless Router (AC87U) is at an blocked location, you will get weak signals..

For oric: do try to use n66u as repeater nevertheless, view my post couple pages back, I'm facing somewhat of the same problem as you, with unusable wifi in 2 rooms with the ac87u alone. But managed to connect to 5ghz using n66u to act as repeater, even through 4 concrete walls, it maintains a link rate of 300mbps. Can support a LAN party of 10 with other mobile devices connected as well; all on 2.4ghz rebroadcasted signal. (Tested)

Yes, going through walls will definitely degrade 5ghz signal, not to mention the "halving of bandwidth in repeater mode" but it was still plenty strong for me, and my downloads still don't see any noticeable decrease in speed so I think it's worth giving it a shot. Only performance hit I noticed was an increase in ping (~6ms).

Just go to the n66u router page and change operation mode to repeater, connect to ac87u's wifi ssid, follow couple more steps on screen and you're pretty much done. Really simple :)

Last edited:

oric1

Reaction score
Thanks Simon, Andread, ASUS@SG & Dr_ARCHer for your input & suggestion :)

I've searched around the net and came up with this setup, not sure if it will work. Hope to get some guidance from the gurus here.

Bridging N66U (secondary router) to AC87U (main router) via Ethernet cable :

1. Connect N66U LAN port to PC LAN port
2. Change N66U IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2
3. Save settings
4. Login to N66U via 192.168.1.2
5. Untick DHCP
6. Assign new 2.4Ghz & 5GHz SSID for N66U (do I need to assign new SSIDs or can I use the same SSIDs as AC87U?)
7. Unplug N66U from PC
8. Connect N66U LAN Port to AC87U LAN Port
9. Place N66U in Living Room while AC87U remain in Bedroom 2

Will my daughter's (Bedroom 3) get stronger coverage now?

Here's the layout again for easy reference. Thanks much guys :)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.