HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Like Tree649Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Master Member

Ok... a bit mixed here.

simple. Can the EA-AC87 do something like that.
1. RT-AC87U located in the hall.
2. EA-AC87 located in the room.

The EA-AC87 will be receiving signal from RT-AC87U and can the EA-AC87 function as following same time?
1. 1 lan wire connecting to PC.
2. same time able to have wifi signal for wifi use for tablet/phone etc?
Mean Wifi and Lan work same time to "feed" equipment in the room?

Thank you if u understand me.
Nope, it's only can be used either one of the scenarios at one time but not all @ the same time (hybrid mode) or whatever the term is if i'm not wrong. Let me check this out with ASUS TW RD whether is this technological challenge can be done or not or is there any limitation in due time.
Old 21-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, ASUS eCustomer Service Center

Ok... a bit mixed here.

simple. Can the EA-AC87 do something like that.
1. RT-AC87U located in the hall.
2. EA-AC87 located in the room.

The EA-AC87 will be receiving signal from RT-AC87U and can the EA-AC87 function as following same time?

Thank you if u understand me.
Dear Cochran,

Yes, when the product is ready for pubic use.

Yes, EA-AC87 only provide 5Ghz wireless band.

EA-AC87 - Repeater mode not available at the moment.
[Notice: EA-AC87 still under testing and some function not available at the moment.]

Best regard,
JK

For warranty information and repair status:
Click here to enquire

To purchase laptop or zenfone adapter/battery/accessories:
Click here to check the pricing and availability

Other general enquiries or feedback:
Email: marketing_sg@asus.com

*Response may take up to 2-4 working days. Please be patient.

For technical assistance, please contact +65 66369163 Operation hours: Mon~Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm, Extended hours on Wed 5:30pm - 7:00pm, Sat 09:30am - 12.30pm, Closed on Sunday and Public Holiday.

Ensure that you have the product in front of you and that it is turned on, if feasible. In addition, please ensure that you have the following information available: Serial Number (E.g: F5N0BC022939214) Model Number (E.g: UX303LN) Problem encountered

Join ASUS Facebook
Subscribe to ASUS Youtube
ASUS@SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

this is a very poisonous router even for its price... if get this need to think what to do with my RT-N66U
KWSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
Master Member

this is a very poisonous router even for its price... if get this need to think what to do with my RT-N66U
For those whom care less about what's inside the ASUS RT-AC87U and just want raw infamous SpeedTest numbers that ASUS RT-AC87U is capable of delivering on wireds max 1Gbps Symmetrical (Down/Up) in collaboration with ViewQwest.

SimonLam and darkwizard85 like this.

Last edited by maylyn; 24-08-2014 at 11:28 PM..
maylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
Master Member

This is not wireless but wired lah. Love that Gigabit fibre .

For those whom care less about what's inside the ASUS RT-AC87U and just want raw infamous SpeedTest numbers that ASUS RT-AC87U is capable of delivering.

Old 21-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #21

hmm.. now caught in 2 minds of 2 AC87U, or 1 AC87U and 1 EA-AC87 for 5Ghz wireless media bridge at around 900Mbps rate.
SimonLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #22
Master Member

hmm.. now caught in 2 minds of 2 AC87U, or 1 AC87U and 1 EA-AC87 for 5Ghz wireless media bridge at around 900Mbps rate.
Rather you get 2x ASUS RT-AC87U and can use it now lor ...

And can easier to resell both or individually when the time comes for the next generation BCM quad core, ASUS 4x4 more spatial streams (160MHz) routers or even the ASUS ROG 10GbE router

Do note media bridging works fine between 2x ASUS RT-AC87U but the link rate might fluctuates quite a bit in the mean time. resulting not up to par 5GHz performance.

Nevertheless ASUS are devoting their resources in fine tuning the 5GHz performance and others.

As for EA-87U, there isn't any estimated ETA and final design and specifications might change.
Old 21-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #23
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi

So if get 2 x RT-AC87U. The "client" unit in my room. still able to Wifi and Lan work same time to "feed" equipment in the room?

Or i can only use the lan port and use my old router as wireless AP from one of the RT-AC87U lan port to get wireless?

Just an idea. estimated the EA-87U will cost how much? $200? or more? or less?
cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

So the Aim is to intro EA-87U but encourage you to hoot 2 AC87?
bagger 288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #25

Rather you get 2x ASUS RT-AC87U and can use it now lor ...

And can easier to resell both or individually when the time comes for the next generation BCM quad core, ASUS 4x4 more spatial streams (160MHz) routers or even the ASUS ROG 10GbE router

Do note media bridging works fine between 2x ASUS RT-AC87U but the link rate might fluctuates quite a bit in the mean time. resulting not up to par 5GHz performance.

Nevertheless ASUS are devoting their resources in fine tuning the 5GHz performance and others.

As for EA-87U, there isn't any estimated ETA and final design and specifications might change.
I want that 10GbE router

you are right.. back to my original plan to hoot 2 AC87U
Old 21-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #26
Master Member

I want that 10GbE router

you are right.. back to my original plan to hoot 2 AC87U
Hi SimonLam,

Just nice, you are the right person to help to answer cochran since you using media bridging mode.

If i not wrong, in media bridging mode for the secondary router, only the LAN ports can be used. not it's wireless, if any of the WiFi devices need to connect to the primary router for WiFi

Last edited by maylyn; 21-08-2014 at 11:56 PM..
Old 22-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #27

Hi SimonLam,

Just nice, you are the right person to help to answer cochran since you using media bridging mode.

If i not wrong, in media bridging mode for the secondary router, only the LAN ports can be used. not it's wireless, if any of the WiFi devices need to connect to the primary router for WiFi
Yes.. in media bridging mode, the 2nd router connect via Wifi to the main router just like a 'wireless cable' in between the 2 routers. In the 2nd router that connects as a wireless bridge, only LAN ports and USB ports can be used.

Wireless AP is provided by the main router.

However, I am not sure if this combo work:
Main Router == wireless == Media Bridge -- wired -- Wireless Repeater
Old 22-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #28

one more thing: In media bridge mode over 5Ghz, the distance between 2 routers plays a big part.

5Ghz degrades over distance and over obstacles. Make sure the 2 routers have an open unblocked point of sight, and all antennas are pointing straight upwards.
Old 22-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #29
Master Member

Yes.. in media bridging mode, the 2nd router connect via Wifi to the main router just like a 'wireless cable' in between the 2 routers. In the 2nd router that connects as a wireless bridge, only LAN ports and USB ports can be used.

Wireless AP is provided by the main router.

However, I am not sure if this combo work:
Main Router == wireless == Media Bridge -- wired -- Wireless Repeater
Thanks for the reply,

May i phrase it in this manner, which i think it's might be possible

Main Router == wireless 5GHz == Media Bridge *Secondary Router -- wired -- 3rd router (in wireless router mode) with WiFi enabled.

Kinda like cascading the routers with wireless 5GHz in between on the same subnet with main router on reserve IP range doing the DHCP, NAT etc while the 3rd router with assigned IP with DHCP off.
Old 22-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #30
Master Member

Broadcom CTF + FA

OMG Broadcom FA (Flow Technology) isn't technological smoke .... It's really working. If you are not sold on this.... I think you better don't join beyond 1Gbps or XGPON

Speedtests (task is running) are conducted and images are screengrab in real time.

Brodcom CTF

Down

Up

Both tests show almost 100% CPU activity on the first core including 60+% activity on the second core as well.

Broadcom CTF + FA

Down

Up

0% CPU activity !!!!

Readers are welcome to scrutinise these images

I will redo these tests with USB 3.0 transferring in the background to simulate activities to prove that the CPU status isn't broken shortly
SimonLam likes this.

Last edited by maylyn; 22-08-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.