[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have installed the 7410 firmware and my Z3 Dual has also upgraded to Android 5.1 recently.

There is no "!" on the WIFI Signal Icon previously on the 5.0 but after upgrade to 5.1, it will have the "!" when it is connected to the router. My Tablet which is still on 5.0 do not have such issue.

Anyone know whether there is any solution? :s11:

I have seen a "?" icon superimposed onto the wifi icon for sony, but i have never seen a "!" icon on the icon before.

From what i see on sony's user guide, the "!" icon means "limited connectivity" and "authentication error" etc.

You can try to forget the SSID of AC87U and re-pair the SSID again, hope it works.

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have seen a "?" icon superimposed onto the wifi icon for sony, but i have never seen a "!" icon on the icon before.

From what i see on sony's user guide, the "!" icon means "limited connectivity" and "authentication error" etc.

You can try to forget the SSID of AC87U and re-pair the SSID again, hope it works.

Nope, tried but still the same. Tried removing sim card then put back and still same.

Tried specify the DNS Server and IP Address on my phone under the saved network but still same. It is strange that it only happen on Android 5.1 and my tablet on 5.0 do not have this issue.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope, tried but still the same. Tried removing sim card then put back and still same.

Tried specify the DNS Server and IP Address on my phone under the saved network but still same. It is strange that it only happen on Android 5.1 and my tablet on 5.0 do not have this issue.
Does it happen with both 2.4 and 5GHz bands?

Sent from the darknet using GAGT

cron0s

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on SH 300Mbps fiber.
Just got this router from a fellow hwzer.

Somehow, i'm not able to get close to 300Mbps now. Only 200Mbps.
Need some help to see if there are any special settings that I need to set? :o

oric1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on SH 300Mbps fiber.

wired or wireless?

what device?

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on SH 300Mbps fiber.

How did u test? Please submit your iperf results as well

cron0s

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Tested wired connection to the AC87U.
Test both SH speedtest (Local) and speedtest.net
Both not getting 300Mbps.

How do i get the iperf result?

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm on SH 300Mbps fiber.

Have you tried the speedtest with your computer connected directly to the ONT (not going thru the AC87U)?

cron0s

Reaction score
Tried that and I'm getting about 290 plus close to 300. I also tried many settings like turned off NAT acceleration. Off QoS.

I noticed that if I run speedtest when the router LED just turned blue, I will be able to get the same speed close to 300. But after a few mins it drops to 200. So I really think that some kind of traffic limiting service started few mins after the router boots up. This is there even when I turned off QoS and acceleration.

Sent from Samsung SM-G920I using GAGT

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried that and I'm getting about 290 plus close to 300. I also tried many settings like turned off NAT acceleration. Off QoS.

I noticed that if I run speedtest when the router LED just turned blue, I will be able to get the same speed close to 300. But after a few mins it drops to 200. So I really think that some kind of traffic limiting service started few mins after the router boots up. This is there even when I turned off QoS and acceleration.
Are you using LAN port 1 for the test?
If yes, did you try any other port besides LAN 1?

cron0s

Reaction score
Are you using LAN port 1 for the test?
If yes, did you try any other port besides LAN 1?

Hi Bro, u mean the port 1 on the router or the ONT?

In fact I've tried both on the ONT and the router. ONT can only use port 1, no issue, seeing the correct speedtest result.

Any ports on the ac87u, not getting the speed. And my laptop port is 1Gbit, connecting to router also at 1Gbit.

So seriously, i don't know what's wrong... :s11: Another thing to note, i didn't turn on any services, no Aicloud/USB applications/Parental control/no IPv6.

Basically, the router is just a basic router now, everything off. Except for the firewall at default setting, which is on (enable firewall that's all).:look:

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it happen with both 2.4 and 5GHz bands?

Sent from the darknet using GAGT

Anyway, I have tried various method like removing the SIM Card for 2 sec then insert and try, forget the network then add back but to no avail.

I have also tried adding a new network and configure the IP address etc but still have the "!" Mark so the next test is to just add the 2.4GHZ SSID and see if the issue still persist.

Yesterday, I went to my friend's chalet in Changi so saved the WIFI and connect to it, it appear to have the same "!" in the morning so I guess the issue is with the 5.1 Android. :(

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have tried saved the 2.4GHZ network SSID and it still appear the "!" icon on the WIFI Signal Icon.

I am lost on the solution to resolve this issue. :s11:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_8248

Fix French UI
Fix bugs
New: Enable Traffic Analyzer
Update: IPTV ISP profile setting of 'movistar' & 'meo'
Update: Quantenna SDK: v37.3.0.50 (acR3.2.1)
Update signature into 1.066
Update: dnsmasq: 2.75
Update: openssl 1.0.2d
Update: adjust the maximum number of Guest Network MAC filter. (16 client per Guest network)
Fix: 5Ghz AP isolate issue
Fix: Allow $, ",` and \ in SSID and WPA-PSK for Quantenna
Fix traffic monitor issues
Update Extend max VPN clients to 30 for high-end models
Fix: [Adaptive QoS] [Bandwidth Limiter] less than the actual speed setpoint
Fix:[AiProtection] turn cause the machine to reboot repeatedly endanger website
Fix: [USB Application] USB HDD can not mount
Fix: [AiProtection] Parental controls time scheduling blocking message can not be displayed

Download: http://goo.gl/zdcNK6

Please feedback to me if you encounter any issue.

Require: Restore to factory default.

Best regard,
JK

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.