Like Tree649Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #31
Master Member

New temporary arrangement ...

Old 22-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

just to get some idea.

How much will the EA-AC87 cost? If not too far. May just get 2 RT-AC87.

THanks all for the explanation of wat the EA-AC87 can do.

Im worried that i cant get full speed of the 5Ghz speed. As the internet point and the router will be placed at a far end corner in the hall. Then the other client router will be placed inside the far end of the room with wooden door closed. House size is a 5 room hdb flat 130m-sq.

So its a bit of distance and not in full direct signal with door and wall.
cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #33
Master Member

Rather you get 2x ASUS RT-AC87U and can use it now lor ...
Maylyn, would you be able to draft a tutorial on how and what is the best way to configure 2x ASUS RT-AC87U to utilized the 4x4 spatial stream for wired & wireless internet access ? TIA.
Old 22-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #34

I need to get 2 units asap.... Can reserve? I can fly over and get them!
SimonLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can reserve? Where to do it. I also want 2 units.
Old 23-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #36

Retail at $399 and it will be available in this coming Comex 2014.

Last edited by ckh98258; 23-08-2014 at 09:02 AM..
ckh98258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

Retail at $399 and it will be available in this coming Comex 2014.
That means 7 早 8 早 must go queue and buy, cos its like a hot cake. Wait until sunday sure no stock..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #38

just to get some idea.

How much will the EA-AC87 cost? If not too far. May just get 2 RT-AC87.

THanks all for the explanation of wat the EA-AC87 can do.

Im worried that i cant get full speed of the 5Ghz speed. As the internet point and the router will be placed at a far end corner in the hall. Then the other client router will be placed inside the far end of the room with wooden door closed. House size is a 5 room hdb flat 130m-sq.

So its a bit of distance and not in full direct signal with door and wall.
You want to draw a picture how the 2 router are placed? and the physical distance between them?

I have similar setup:
1Gbps Fibre ONT => AC68U wireless router mode (at living room TV point) ==> 5Ghz Wireless Bridge ==> 2nd AC68U media bridge mode (just in front of bedroom doors in living room, with direct point-of-sight to 1st router and <5m distance) ==> GB LAN port wired (structural cabling during renovation) into bedroom PC desktop.

Current throughput for Room PC is 500-650Mbps internet.

Someone may ask: Why don't I just connect physical cables to 1st router?
(1.) Ugly cables that are not structure planned for a 10 year old house. Can't take out ceiling just to do this.
(2.) My 'network area' is at the 2nd router area where all telephony and previous Cable Modem are installed. Structure Cabling from all rooms are centrally connected to this location.
(3.) I want the Fibre TP to end at Living Room TV area - for future Internet-of-Anything, with 'Internet' entertainment in mind.
(4.) Wireless Bridge is the only effective way to do it, with money investment. Money cannot buy everything, but with technology advancement, soon it can pass consumer 1Gbps wired speed, which is sufficient to do anything in consumer world.

Last edited by SimonLam; 23-08-2014 at 09:42 AM..
Old 23-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #39

That means 7 早 8 早 must go queue and buy, cos its like a hot cake. Wait until sunday sure no stock..
I just hope distri bring in sufficient stocks.

its a SGD 399 premium consumer network equipment - not hello kitty or mac leh. Hope no long queues in a sardine-packed IT show!!
seller4 likes this.
Old 23-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #40
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sell it off ba....... would be better if avertek offer trade in for old router like my ac66......

this is a very poisonous router even for its price... if get this need to think what to do with my RT-N66U
Francis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #41
Master Member

Can reserve? Where to do it. I also want 2 units.
There isn't any reservation allowed so you guys have to get it during COMEX.
Old 23-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #42
Master Member

I just hope distri bring in sufficient stocks.

its a SGD 399 premium consumer network equipment - not hello kitty or mac leh. Hope no long queues in a sardine-packed IT show!!
Definitely will be limited, demand way way over supply if you guys have been following AC87R/U smallnetbuilder postings. No other regions are retailing as yet besides US.

If you are not in a rush to get it or wants to wait for the firmware to be more stable. don't need to come to COMEX and squeeze with the crowd and wait for the next or subsequent shipments.

If one is wondering if the AC87U is stable for day to day use. i will say 100% yes. Things like stable Internet connectivity without frequent disconnections, AiProtection, DDNS, VPN server, OpenVPN, CTF1/CTF2 NAT, NAT loopback, access point, media bridging etc.

Unless one is turn off by the syslog got spammed with kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address, Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!" (ASUS will be addressing this in the next firmware update), MU-MIMO (MU-MINO isn't be enabled as yet as there isn't any MU-MIMO clients until the arrival of the ASUS EA-87)

Don't take my word for it, just feel free to jump into the smallnetbuilder forums to read about the ASUS RT-87U.

US peeps already got their ASUS RT-87R fix more than one month ago.

ASUS AC Routers & Adapters - SmallNetBuilder Forums

Some of the comments ~

The performance isn't terrible. It's just not what it's going to be yet.

With early firmware, I found performance to be equal or better to the RT-AC66R I owned prior to this, with the one caveat that Tim described: radios disabling occasionally for no reason --or at least, maybe not disabling, but losing WAN access. I also would argue there is no "cheating" here --cheating would be a new firmware that actually makes performance look better than reality (e.g., manipulating Speedtest scores, or falsifying its SSI). Bug-fixing is not "cheating", it is bug-fixing and improving functionality.

Gary of ASUS (this is public in the forums already) provided everyone with a link for the 2061 firmware (up from the original 1179 and then the 2044 update) which has the Quantenna performance driver in it. I have seen improvements in a short period of time with this update. I wouldn't say that firmware is anywhere near its peak yet, but the unit is noticeably better than it was a week and a half ago.

SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

If you've already got an RT-AC68U/R model, I'd probably wait. You've got a dual-core CPU that supports OpenVPN client/server options reasonably well (which caused a fair drop in the lower-clocked single-core RT-AC66U/R's performance). If you don't, and your budget is flexible, I'd probably go with the 87, at least if you plan on running VPN, as support is developing quite rapidly (faster than any router I've owned before) and you get the best CPU performance of any ASUS model available, with more to come as the firmware reaches maturity.
The rate ASUS is pumping out the firmware releases is simply

Update -
I am hoping to have another public beta release based on the 2381 firmware next week. At this point I would expect the next supported public firmware release in early September, maybe earlier.

Last edited by maylyn; 23-08-2014 at 04:57 PM..
maylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #43

There isn't any reservation allowed so you guys have to get it during COMEX.
noted. Will be at COMEX
Old 23-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #44

How is IPv6 (DHCPv6-PD) support and performance?
jaloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #45

Any idea whether AC68 configuration backup file can be transfer to AC87?
ckh98258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.