[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you get one or four units? This is a directional antenna. You thus need to position it in the right direction if you are trying to maximise range. Also on the client side, your client must also be pointing in the right direction. If you get it right, directional antenna can improve range. In the early days of WiFi (when it was still 802.11b), people built their own directional antenna. The following was one made from a Pringles can.

Got one unit.

A. Yes, I know it is a directional antenna, that is why I bought it.
B. Yes, I also know about the cantennas from a decade ago. Pringles can, coffee can, etc.

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prone to Disconnecting?

Hi all,

I purchased the AC87U at the SITEX show and I have been happy with it so far.

At about the same time I also got a new Aftershock laptop running Windows 8.1.

I have two connections here...A - Singtel ADSL with a 2Wire router and B - Starhub Fiber and this is where the 87U lives.

When I connect to A, the connection is solid...no disconnects or I cannot recall having any.

When I connect to B, I would occasionally get a "Connection is limited" error. Sometimes it happens once every few days and sometimes it happens within minutes of disconnecting and reconnecting to the 87U.

I had originally thought that it was an issue with the 87U and then I read online many reports of this error so I switched to thinking it was a Windows 8.1 problem. But, now that I have been on A for at least 2 days with no issues and thinking that I never seem to have this problem on A I am back to wondering if there is some issue with the 87U?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

bratpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear bratpig,

RT-AC87U has better wireless range then your RT-N56U.

Best regard,
JK

Dear JK,

Thank you for your reply, albeit it being quite pointless.

I had already stated that wireless is none of my concern. But it's ok. My experience with ASUS support had already numbed me to these sort of replies

BadEnglish

Reaction score
More bugs !

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.378_3562

Enviroment :
- Flashed new firmware
- Restarted router
- Hard Reset router
- Upload old configuration.

+ AI Protection ON
+ AQOS OFF
+ USB OFF
+ AI Cloud OFF
+ WifiRouter Mode

Error Encountered :
1. Client number is ALWAYS Zero at General -> Network Map. It should had been 11. It was working fine in previous firmware.
2. Packge loop
kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Received whenever try to update anything to do with LAN/WAN. ( i.e update Client Number ( as above ), change LAN/WAN configuration.
3. No update
WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor

Last edited:

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
What improvement are you trying to achieve?
Latency? Throughput? QoS?
Whenever you want to do an upgrade there must be a positive change you want to get at the end.

Dear JK,

Thank you for your reply, albeit it being quite pointless.

I had already stated that wireless is none of my concern. But it's ok. My experience with ASUS support had already numbed me to these sort of replies

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.378_3562

Enviroment :
- Flashed new firmware
- Restarted router
- Hard Reset router
- Upload old configuration.

+ AI Protection ON
+ AQOS OFF
+ USB OFF
+ AI Cloud OFF
+ WifiRouter Mode

Error Encountered :
1. Client number is ALWAYS Zero at General -> Network Map. It should had been 11. It was working fine in previous firmware.
2. Packge loop
kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Received whenever try to update anything to do with LAN/WAN. ( i.e update Client Number ( as above ), change LAN/WAN configuration.
3. No update
WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor

Erm u mean u uploaded a saved configuration file?

BadEnglish

Reaction score
Yah, he shouldn't do that. He should have manually input all his settings from scratch after he has hard reset.

Well,
1. if ASUS is a good brand which mean the programmers are real programmers uploading the configuration file is A MUST, I never heard of can't upload configuration file. Think about it , to upgrade minor firmware, network engineers have to enter all the setting again.

2. Without uploading which means start from scratch seems to resolve my problem 1 only.

3. So it's the new problem, can't upload configuration file. ( Seriously ? )

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well,
1. if ASUS is a good brand which mean the programmers are real programmers uploading the configuration file is A MUST, I never heard of can't upload configuration file. Think about it , to upgrade minor firmware, network engineers have to enter all the setting again.

2. Without uploading which means start from scratch seems to resolve my problem 1 only.

of course you cannot upload the configuration file which was meant for the previous version of firmware... There is nothing to do with the brand of product but just the way the firmware is written.

the current beta firmware uses a new SDK which is different from the previous one, therefore if you upload a previously saved configuration file, you are essentially restoring the code that you have just cleared using hard reset method. Its not a rule of thumb to do hard reset for every firmware upgrade, but its recommended if you experience problems.

Regarding your package loop, yeah i still have it shown in my log too..

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
Not really because sometimes the config options change the old backup options does not correspond to the new available config so no choice have to start from scratch.
Well,

ankhazam

Reaction score
Hi,
if there is need to manually reedit the whole router configuration then I would at least need a tool to export the configuration into a readable format...

Even though I am greatly thankful for all the updates and appreciate close collaboration with the users community I find it simply infuriating to reinput manually dozens of entries in static DHCP / Wifi MAC filtering / QoS / Forwarding tables...

Even simple python/bash/bat scripts which upgrade our configuration exports to new versions would be highly welcomed.

Regards

Last edited:

davemishsr

Reaction score
User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility Beta

Hi,
if there is need to manually reedit the whole router configuration then I would at least need a tool to export the configuration into a readable format...

Even though I am greatly thankful for all the updates and appreciate close collaboration with the users community I find it simply infuriating to reinput manually dozens of entries in static DHCP / Wifi MAC filtering / QoS / Forwarding tables...

Even simple python/bash/bat scripts which upgrade our configuration exports to new versions would be highly welcomed.

Regards
Check out this thread posted over at SNB forum:

forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521

Titled: User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility Beta

oetem

Reaction score
AC87U advice

Hi, just finished setup my AC87U. Previous router is N66U. However, I encountered one problem.

I have IP cameras and NAS at home.
1) However, when I am at home intranet(LAN), I am unable to go to my devices if I used WAN IP address + Port.
2) No Problem using LAN IP + Port (192.168.1.XXX:XXX) when at home intranet(LAN)
3) However, if I use my Starhub or M1 data plan, I have no problem accessing my ip cameras and NAS using WAN IP address + Port.

Can anyone advice me why I am unable to access my devices using WAN IP + Port when I am on LAN(intranet)? I have do not have this problem when I am on N66U. I have also opened the port for my devices in my router.

oric1

Reaction score
Hi, just finished setup my AC87U. Previous router is N66U. However, I encountered one problem.

1) However, when I am at home intranet(LAN), I am unable to go to my devices if I used WAN IP address + Port.
2) No Problem using LAN IP + Port (192.168.1.XXX:XXX) when at home intranet(LAN)
3) However, if I use my Starhub or M1 data plan, I have no problem accessing my ip cameras and NAS using WAN IP address + Port.

Can anyone advice me why I am unable to access my devices using WAN IP + Port when I am on LAN(intranet)? I have do not have this problem when I am on N66U. I have also opened the port for my devices in my router.

You're not alone Asus RT-AC87R port forwarding not working? - SmallNetBuilder Forums, btw, 87R & 87U are identical router.

ahduck

Reaction score
Just updated to Merlins 376.49 and I notice the temps.
Is it normal to have such high temp on the cpu?

r6lvwn6.jpg

http://10.0.0.1/Advanced_FirmwareUpgrade_Content.asp

arachnida

Reaction score

I have this working and I can see my 5 cams on iPad at home over WIFI or when I'm not at home over internet or 4G using the very same address and port. However I have a second router from the ISP company before the ASUS also forwarding those ports to my ASUS WAN port, maybe that's the reason it works for me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.