[NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018

Reaction score
Rj45 cable is default 1m if you didn’t request for trunking, it’s included in the router package.

Patch cord is more than 1m, probably 3m. Cos for me the distance between tp and ont is about 1m but the patch cord still got a lot of leftovers until I gotta coil it up..

what about if i must have the modem close to my PC ?

i might need 5-6m of fibre optic cable between the wall to the modem.........1m for modem to PC ............like this possible ?:s11:

or i must move the modem closer to the wall outlet ?:s11:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You shift your router/ap instead. Leave the ont/onr near the tp.. the patch cord is too fragile to have such a Long distance, unless you buy those reinforced ones which can easily cost 5-6times more than the average cost price..

i might need 5-6m of fibre optic cable between the wall to the modem.........1m for modem to PC ............like this possible ?:s11:

or i must move the modem closer to the wall outlet ?:s11:

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i might need 5-6m of fibre optic cable between the wall to the modem.........1m for modem to PC ............like this possible ?
:s11:

or i must move the modem closer to the wall outlet ?
You can get a long LAN cable to connect the ONR to your PC instead, while putting the ONR near the wall point.

TheHeist

Reaction score
Just realized no dial tone from my phone that is connected to analogue line.
Is it by default that analogue telephone line is cancelled after fiber installation and need to use digital phone?

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just realized no dial tone from my phone that is connected to analogue line.
Is it by default that analogue telephone line is cancelled after fiber installation and need to use digital phone?
Before the migration, did you inform Singtel that you want to retain the analogue home line?

Reaction score
You shift your router/ap instead. Leave the ont/onr near the tp.. the patch cord is too fragile to have such a Long distance, unless you buy those reinforced ones which can easily cost 5-6times more than the average cost price..

ok......i see........2 last questions............

1) is the power cord for the ONT detachable ?

2) if the power cord is attached (not removable) to the ONT........is it using a 3-pin plug o 2-pin plug ?

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CSO and I didn't talk about this subject at all when signing up over the phone. So this losing the analogue line is a surprised.
If you didn't inform them to retain the analogue home line, I think they will assume you are okay to switch to digital home line.

I inform the sales staff that I want to retain my analogue home line when signing up.. :o

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok......i see........2 last questions............

1) is the power cord for the ONT detachable ?

2) if the power cord is attached (not removable) to the ONT........is it using a 3-pin plug o 2-pin plug ?

If given a choice, use shorter yellow fibre optic cable as it's more fragile & expensive compared to LAN cable (cat 5e/6).

IIRC, both the ONT/ONR & AC Plus router/Wifi uses power adapter not those IEC type AC power cord.

FYI, I use 6 metres of yellow fibre optic cable & 5 metres of flat cat 6 cable.

Reaction score
If given a choice, use shorter yellow fibre optic cable as it's more fragile & expensive compared to LAN cable (cat 5e/6).

IIRC, both the ONT/ONR & AC Plus router/Wifi uses power adapter not those IEC type AC power cord.

FYI, I use 6 metres of yellow fibre optic cable & 5 metres of flat cat 6 cable.

so for the power adapter.........is it those British 3-pin plug...........or 2 round or 2 flat pin plug ?

looks like i must ready some adapters for the pins..........because near the fibre wall outlet.......... i using a power filter that uses American plugs.....

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so for the power adapter.........is it those British 3-pin plug...........or 2 round or 2 flat pin plug ?

looks like i must ready some adapters for the pins..........because near the fibre wall outlet.......... i using a power filter that uses American plugs.....
British 3-pin for both ONR and AC Plus

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Dimensions (Width x Height):
Power adapter for my ONT = 5 X 7 cm

Power adapter for my AC Plus = 4.5 X 9 cm

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dimensions (Width x Height):
Power adapter for my ONT = 5 X 7 cm

Power adapter for my AC Plus = 4.5 X 9 cm

i just read the Singtel letter again and they say they providing (Wireless AC Dual-Band Router)............

so if i don't want wireless connection..............they'll connect this router to my PC with LAN cable ?:s11:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
If not using any 3rd party router, then it is better to request for ONR.

Sent from Samsung GT-N5120 using GAGT

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My friend migrated to fibre 300Mbps in Jan 18 & got the ONR.

amazingone

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just read the Singtel letter again and they say they providing (Wireless AC Dual-Band Router)............

so if i don't want wireless connection..............they'll connect this router to my PC with LAN cable ?
I think they will connect your PC with LAN cable to the ONR, since you don't want wireless.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.