[Product Review] Edimax RE11 Smart home roaming kit

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Edimax RE11 Smart Wifi roaming kit.

RE11_01_1000x1000.jpg

So what it does is basically using your existing router (Any other brands).
To extend your WIFI coverage using a SINGLE SSID to cover Dead spots in your home and automatically switches to intelligently

RE11_roaming_extender_Smarter_Wi-Fi_with_Seamless_Roaming.gif

RE11_roaming_extender_Stronger_Signal_Perfect_for_Connected_Home.gif

It is able to broadcast both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz wireless connection at the same time.

I would post some ON site readings on the next thread below. Please stay tune :s13:

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay guys here's it .
First time writing a review and i am not a very technical person. so please all the experts in here please help me if you can. :s13:

First of all the current SSID i used

Broadcast SSID by Singtel Black router
Singtel 3DBF - 2.4Ghz
G3nesis -5Ghz
Edimax Re11
G3nesis2.4 - 2.4Ghz
G3nesis5 - 5Ghz

257ezxw.jpg

Basically i am having slow coverage in the Main Bedroom. (location no 7 , 8)
i am currently getting limited wifi connection at the following location reception is bad using the singtel provided router (black router)

Getting an extender won't solve my problem as i would get 2 SSID in the house and i need to switch them to the other when i move around

Screenshot_2017-05-18-12-14-271.png

Screenshot_2017-05-18-12-16-351.png

In the following order
Edimax RE11
Singtel Black router
Edimax RE11
Singtel Black router

Dun ask me why my fiber connection so slow cause i also duno the problem perhaps the experts here can give me some advice? Thank you

Last edited:

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So i tried the RE11 and place it in the following locations 10 (master unit) 9 (slave unit)
and i did the following test for signal strength.

Heres the readings for 5ghz

sg1g1d.jpg

71s17q.jpg

fvldv8.jpg

Readings for 2.4ghz

n5t2ja.jpg

29p9jtf.jpg

xbzuoy.jpg

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wifi connectivity generally improves within the house with a better coverage on some of the areas where i had problems with. Especially in the master bedroom.

Previously i could only connect on the 2.4ghz network with tendency of connection breaking up. 5Ghz was worst i could not even connect to it.

From the Graph above you can see that in my block there are tons of 2.4ghz broadcast around. And however 5ghz there is only my SSID
This would meant that with the RE11 i could use 5ghz throughout my house.
Correct me if i am wrong 5ghz has a better bandwidth right but a shorter range?

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With that i tried the roaming feature when connected to the Edimax RE11.
Walking around the house was while watching youtube was great. I did not get any disconnection from the network the Re11 switches automatically by itself when the connection of the reception was low to the strongest signal it is able to find.

I also did tried using Whatapp call to call my friend in indonesia. Connection was great and i did not get any breakups from it.

Summary

It was a great experience using the Edimax Re11. Setup was pretty easily simply by following the steps given.
Generally, the product did what it is stated to do having use with a single ssid i could move around the house with the Roaming feature.
Best of all it is the cheapest than the competing brands in the market.
I would say Edimax did a good job for those who wants a better coverage for their home network

I will post the installation process later for those interested.

Last edited:

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Box packaging

2qiydrb.jpg

Side packaging

24x2o07.jpg

Back Packaging

zveywi.jpg

Inside of Box

2uiud7n.jpg

30d9pn9.jpg

Last edited:

undeniable

Reaction score
won't this kind of extenders cut your network speed by half? don't see what's so special about it.

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
won't this kind of extenders cut your network speed by half? don't see what's so special about it.

So far I did not see my internet speed cut by half. It's the same speed that SingTel black router is giving me .
What I am puzzled is why other ppl getting 300 or more mpbs but I only getting max 100plus mpbs.
Any experts here can explain

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I agree lol, nothing special with this product. Is basically repeater with pseudo roaming feature. Speed also cut 1/2 anyways

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya true but my problem is having blind spots in my house with limited connection . This re11 solve my problem and I not willing to spend big bucks

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree lol, nothing special with this product. Is basically repeater with pseudo roaming feature. Speed also cut 1/2 anyways

it does form a mesh network

The question I'm sure you're asking is whether the RE11S really forms a mesh wireless connection. After all, it's only 130 bucks ($65 / node). If you define mesh as the ability of two wireless nodes to connect to each other without having to go through the root (Ethernet-connected) node, then, yes, the RE11S does form a mesh network. But my limited exploration found the RE11S' "mesh" is pretty rudimentary.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
So far I did not see my internet speed cut by half. It's the same speed that SingTel black router is giving me .
What I am puzzled is why other ppl getting 300 or more mpbs but I only getting max 100plus mpbs.
Any experts here can explain

which speedtest server you use? and is your master node connected to the router via wifi or ethernet?

Last edited:

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Not sure how much you got the RE11, $199?
But if I am on Singtel, I would opt for Singtel Mesh at @$240 (24 mth installment at $10/mth)

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Do you mean to say even in the living room, connected to Singtel router on 5G band, you also get speed of ~50-60Mbps?

What is the Wifi speed rating of your client device used for the speed test?

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Maybe you could try the following to see if it works for you as well.
1. Set the 1st RE11 as AP wired to your existing Singtel Router.
- Place this first RE11 at the location of your router (location 11).
2. Switch off the dual Wifi on the Singtel router
3. The 2nd RE11 as extender, at your current location 10.

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you mean to say even in the living room, connected to Singtel router on 5G band, you also get speed of ~50-60Mbps?

What is the Wifi speed rating of your client device used for the speed test?

Yes I do any idea what happen ?
However when I m on 5ghz I get 100plus mpbs
How to u find out on the wifi speed rating

Simplelifes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could try the following to see if it works for you as well.
1. Set the 1st RE11 as AP wired to your existing Singtel Router.
- Place this first RE11 at the location of your router (location 11).
2. Switch off the dual Wifi on the Singtel router
3. The 2nd RE11 as extender, at your current location 10.

Good idea let me try n update u

JustDoLor

Reaction score
What is the device that u used for the speed test?

When you list your speedtest results, plse indicate whether it is on 2.4G or 5G band.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.