HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Review] ASUS RT-N56U Wireless-N Dual-Band Router - Bringing Sexy Back

Like Tree1530Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #421

It depends on your usage. Most marketing ads state 600Mbps which gives the impression of double bandwidth which is not true. The actual scenario is that you can use either bands, but not an aggregation of both. Best way to use both bands is to split them between your wireless devices, but then again, not many wireless devices can operate on 5Ghz.

One thing about 5Ghz is that it has shorter range, although less congested. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the reply. I am currently thinking of upgrading the firmware to 1.0.1.7f but I'm not sure if after upgrading will i be able to connect to singtel exStream? I'm currently still using adsl but am waiting for singtel to come in Jan to setup the connection.
newkidontheblock likes this.
ddhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #422
Master Member

potential wols: the broken Traffic Monitor graphs are finally fixed in firmware 1.0.1.8b
chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #423
Arch-Supremacy Member

How much is the N56 selling for now? BTW, I can use it with an ADSL modem right?
trenzterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #424

Anyone knows where I can get the N56U in any shop other than SimLim? Need one to replace current home network..
uplinkhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #425
Master Member

Anyone knows where I can get the N56U in any shop other than SimLim? Need one to replace current home network..

List of Retailers
Old 29-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #426

List of Retailers
Thanks. Went to quite a few Challenger and Cyberactive and Harvey Norman, all don't have. Seems like gotta make a trip down to Funan/SimLim le.
Old 29-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #427

actually hor after reading so much, why are we trying to replace the Singtel router with the Asus one? because the WAN to LAN speed is faster? What are the other advantages compared to putting the N56U behind Singtel's router?
Old 29-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #428
Master Member

Few questions here:

a) DUAL BAND means the router can communicate at 2 frequencies. Each frequency has a different SSID. So assuming I set 2.4GHz (SSID1) and 5GHz (SSID2), on my home devices I can set (for example) laptops connect to SSID1 while SmartTV connect to SSID2. Correct?

b) The speed difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is not measured by the xGHz (ie 2.4GHz faster than 5GHz) correct?

c) What wireless standards should I use to optimise the speed (I have a 100mpbs MaxOnline Ultimate) ie b/g/n for each band? Is the speed dependent on connection to b/g/n? If so, how do I get the device to connect at the highest possible speed?

d) Encryption I should set to WPA2-AES? Does encryption type have an impact on performance?

Sorry for the noob questions.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #429
Master Member

Few questions here:

a) DUAL BAND means the router can communicate at 2 frequencies. Each frequency has a different SSID. So assuming I set 2.4GHz (SSID1) and 5GHz (SSID2), on my home devices I can set (for example) laptops connect to SSID1 while SmartTV connect to SSID2. Correct?

b) The speed difference between 2.4GHz and 5GHz is not measured by the xGHz (ie 2.4GHz faster than 5GHz) correct?

c) What wireless standards should I use to optimise the speed (I have a 100mpbs MaxOnline Ultimate) ie b/g/n for each band? Is the speed dependent on connection to b/g/n? If so, how do I get the device to connect at the highest possible speed?

d) Encryption I should set to WPA2-AES? Does encryption type have an impact on performance?

Sorry for the noob questions.
a) Correct. Dual-band measure two sets of frequencies. I have set a different SSID to each set of frequencies.

b) Yes. The 2.4/5.0 refers to the frequency band, not the transfer speed.

c) Typically, you want want to set a 11n only AP, and a 11g only AP. From what I read, if you have legacy (i.e. 11g) devices on the same AP and your AP is set to 11g/n, then there is some penalty on the other 11n devices.

d) Not any more. In the early days, turning on WEP slows down the 11b speeds, but that no long happens (unless we have a very poor implementation).
Old 29-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #430
Master Member

a) Correct. Dual-band measure two sets of frequencies. I have set a different SSID to each set of frequencies.

b) Yes. The 2.4/5.0 refers to the frequency band, not the transfer speed.

c) Typically, you want want to set a 11n only AP, and a 11g only AP. From what I read, if you have legacy (i.e. 11g) devices on the same AP and your AP is set to 11g/n, then there is some penalty on the other 11n devices.

d) Not any more. In the early days, turning on WEP slows down the 11b speeds, but that no long happens (unless we have a very poor implementation).
In response to

a) Logically speaking, even though I set dual bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz), we're talking about both bands still go thought 1 WAN port. So where is the advantage? By implementing dual bands, we're sort of doing "load balancing" right?

c) So which standard should I set? Leave it as "n", or AUTO or [your suggestion]? If I leave it at "n" will legacy devices have problems connecting, or will the "n" devices see a performance impact? Or should I set SSID1 as "n" and SSID2 as "g". Then devices like in DLINK IP cam, Smart TV etc how do I know if they have "n" implementation? MacBook Pro etc? Can I then say, that in terms of speed, "n" is faster than "g", is faster than "b"?

Out of curiosity, what do you or anyone reading this post, understand from this statement from the Samsung SmartTV manual (esp the last para, so WPA2 AES is OK??):

"This TV supports the IEEE 802.11a/b/g and n communication protocols. Samsung recommends using IEEE 802.11n. When you play the video over a IEEE 802.11b/g connection, the video may not play smoothly.

Most wireless network systems incorporate a security system that requires devices that access the network through an access point or wireless router (typically a wireless IP Sharer) to transmit an encrypted security code called an access key.

If Pure High-throughput (Greenfield) 802.11n mode is selected and the Encryption type is set to WEP, TKIP or TKIP AES (WPS2Mixed) for your wireless router, Samsung TVs will not support a connection in compliance with new Wi-Fi certification specifications."

Last edited by Robert; 29-02-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #431

"Most 802.11n products will knock your throughput down by up to 80% if you use WEP or WPA/TKIP security"

"The bottom line is that you can only use WPA2/AES wireless security (or no security at all) if you don't want to throw away lots of speed."

Source : 5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed - SmallNetBuilder
Old 29-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #432

Finally gotten mine. Setup Fibre, miotv and miovoice in 15min. Not bad. The default settings are great. Only need to change SSID and password that's all.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #433

actually hor after reading so much, why are we trying to replace the Singtel router with the Asus one? because the WAN to LAN speed is faster? What are the other advantages compared to putting the N56U behind Singtel's router?
Anyone????
Old 29-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #434
Arch-Supremacy Member

Commercial Router Features > Singtel Router Features
Performance should be better + QoS
ArcticCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #435

Is there anyone using their router as pptp server? Just wondering how high can the throughput be and see if it can hit 50mbps up/down.
benjaminyeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.