[Review] D-Link DIR-890L

davidau

Reaction score
From your previous post that you can get 100+Mbps from your mobile phone, the router can certainly reach at least that speed.
Do you get better speeds with your laptop connected to other wifi networks elsewhere?

havent try yet...I will go to my cousin house try out the wifi speed then i update here...

spec07

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can I find out what is the uplink and downlink speed I should enter in the QOS Engine setting for my DIR-890L? I am currently on ViewQwest 2Gbps plan.

The default setting is as follows:
Uplink Speed (Mbps) = 2
Downlink Speed (Mbps) = 8

Thank you!

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can I find out what is the uplink and downlink speed I should enter in the QOS Engine setting for my DIR-890L? I am currently on ViewQwest 2Gbps plan.

The default setting is as follows:
Uplink Speed (Mbps) = 2
Downlink Speed (Mbps) = 8

Thank you!
Try 1000 for both. You can't exceed 1000 on this router because the WAN port is capped at that speed.

spec07

Reaction score
Try 1000 for both. You can't exceed 1000 on this router because the WAN port is capped at that speed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am actually quite confuse right now because I was told I do not need to use QOS for such high speed internet anymore. Doing so might hinder the actual max throughput. Ideally I should turn off QOS entirely because it adds to the CPU load on the router which could potentially degrade my overall throughput. If the default is QOS enabled I would want to figure out how to turn it off.

Not sure if this statement is correct.

Please enlighten me. I just want to have the router set to maximized it's full potential.

Thank you!

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I am actually quite confuse right now because I was told I do not need to use QOS for such high speed internet anymore. Doing so might hinder the actual max throughput. Ideally I should turn off QOS entirely because it adds to the CPU load on the router which could potentially degrade my overall throughput. If the default is QOS enabled I would want to figure out how to turn it off.

Not sure if this statement is correct.

Please enlighten me. I just want to have the router set to maximized it's full potential.

Thank you!
By default QoS should not be enabled.
Just check to be sure the highest, high and medium boxes are all empty.

davidau

Reaction score
havent try yet...I will go to my cousin house try out the wifi speed then i update here...

I've tried do a speedtest with my laptop & mobile in my cousin house which having 500mbps starhub plan. Both the result are almost the same with the speed that I get in my home. Laptop can get mostly 30+ to 40+mbps, mobile phone can get 100+ mbps. Was wondering is it my laptop hardware not supported for those high speed wifi? As I've notice that my mobile can detect 2 wifi name & my laptop only can detect 1.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've tried do a speedtest with my laptop & mobile in my cousin house which having 500mbps starhub plan. Both the result are almost the same with the speed that I get in my home. Laptop can get mostly 30+ to 40+mbps, mobile phone can get 100+ mbps. Was wondering is it my laptop hardware not supported for those high speed wifi? As I've notice that my mobile can detect 2 wifi name & my laptop only can detect 1.
1 last test you can do to determine whether it is the hardware or OS/software that is causing the problem.

You have to boot your laptop to another OS (LinuxMint live OS) to run the speedtest (try both wired and wifi connection).
You can see this post below for the procedure:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/86752722-post7.html

Last edited:

davidau

Reaction score
1 last test you can do to determine whether it is the hardware or OS/software that is causing the problem.

You have to boot your laptop to another OS (LinuxMint live OS) to run the speedtest (try both wired and wifi connection).
You can see this post below for the procedure:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/86752722-post7.html

Does it mean that I have to reformat my current windows into Linux? Then all my data gone?

richneo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using DIR-890L for about a month

So far am very satisfied with the wireless throughput!

Screenshot_2015-09-22-08-05-09.png

bear1sg

Reaction score
have try to use a new type of wireless adaptor?
maybe wireless AC, then you can get more speed from DIR-890L.
If you using wireless N and if you notebook is only 1 antenna type you will get much low speed. see we have Mr. Richard can get a good speed

davidau

Reaction score
have try to use a new type of wireless adaptor?
maybe wireless AC, then you can get more speed from DIR-890L.
If you using wireless N and if you notebook is only 1 antenna type you will get much low speed. see we have Mr. Richard can get a good speed

Yea, I wanna to try with new type of wireless adaptor. Any recommendation? DWA-192 how is it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.