[Review] Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Smart Wi-Fi Router (Cnet called it : Router for the RICH )

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some user feedback

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ni...d-stream-wifi-router.27456/page-3#post-215306

Agree with the throughput and solid Wifi its refreshing change from Asus routers - Miles ahead in stability, Range and throughput.

Over the last 1.5 Years. Used Airport Extreme, Asus 66, Asus 87u and Asus AC3200. The Netgear R8500 is miles ahead of them all and quite frankly the best most stable router I have used since Draytek many many many years ago.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More video and review threads updated.....

CNet call it : Router for the Rich .....

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
poison again... lol
jhJv2fK.jpg

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
r8500-pic02.png

The most striking aspect of the R8500 when compared to the other XStream Gen 2 routers is the presence of only four external antennae instead of eight. Netgear has opted to go for four external and four internal ones. Physical appearances aside, the four external antennae are all active ones. This is the first time that we are actually seeing active antennae being deployed - the Wi-Fi amplifiers are moved from their usual location in the router's motherboard to the top of the antennae. This reduces cross-talk on the board and also avoids signal loss in the transmission between the antennae and the board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9678/netgear-nighthawk-x8-r8500-wave-2-80211ac-router-set-to-ship

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't know leh. I'm on SINGTEL Combo 6 and I've 2 Note 4. One always on 5GHz and the other on 2.4GHz. I'm using Smart Connect on my router.

The 5GHz (which is mine) is the main line whereas the other (my maid) is on the supplementary line. This is the same when on previous AC3200 also

When I tested with my Note 4 the reading is the same as my maid's reading ie. -30dBm at Ch 6. However, when I use the ASUS Router mobile app to check my set it is on 5GHz leh

Anything wrong here?
Hi . Cant help you much as i dont know much about the one that you purchase. Maybe you can ask that thread for it.

:)

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apparatus

I am trying this for Smart connect now on my Netgear ..

1) Smart connect enable for both 5G-1 and 5G-2 : Single SSID.

2) Manual set the 2.4Ghz to the same SSID as the 5Ghz.

I will see how the devices response in this setting.

I am staying in a HDB flat (109sq ft) only so what I wanted is

1) One SSID (Clean right?)
2) Default device go 5G and not 2.4G (home coverage is very good now for whole is 5G).
3) Only 2.4G device will go 2.4G.

If the above 3 point can be done - that is what I not able to do all this while without mess up the 2.4/5 in the past device (at one time all my smart phone go 2.4G and refused to go back to 5G until I reboot the old device) and I have "manually " assign .

Updated : I rebooted all my devices at home and check that only device with the 2.4G capable will back to 2.4G........... The rest all distributed evenly at 5G.

Total 3 laptops 5 smart phone 1 ip cam and 1 wifi printer.

I am not able to ask the other brand to try the way in the thread so if you or Apparatus can ... go it a try and pm me the outcome instead.

Last edited:

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, 109sq ft is very very small leh.
U mean Sq metre rite?

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!

Now you can own this router with $100 lesser from $699 . meaning S$599 ............ @ Sitex !. For a limited period it is not a RICH man router so do take the chance to get a unit.... and well I lost $100 in 2 weeks..........:(

696x288.jpg

http://www.thetechrevolutionist.com/2015/11/netgear-introduces-new-industry.html

Singapore November 24, 2015 - NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTGR) (www.netgear.com), a global networking company, will launch its latest addition to the company’s premium Nighthawk® product line of WiFi routers, the Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Smart WiFi Router (R8500), at SITEX 2015. The Nighthawk X8 and other great offers from NETGEAR will be available fromNovember 26 to 29, 2015 at the Challenger, Harvey Norman, and Newstead booths at 5K09, 6D15, and 5H07 respectively at the Singapore Expo.

Nighthawk X8 delivers astonishing Internet performance with combined WiFi speeds up to a blistering 5.3Gbps* (1000Mbps + 2166Mbps +2166Mbps), a new record for a home router. This quad-stream, tri-band router provides more Internet bandwidth for all the devices in your home, so everyone in the family can stream movies and music, download files, surf the web, share photos, and enjoy online gaming — simultaneously and without lag.

Engineered from the ground up with a stylish modern design, the Nighthawk X8 is performance perfected with the new Wave 2 AC WiFi. It is powered by an extremely powerful 1.4GHz dual core processor for faster connections; the industry’s first, patent-pending Active Antennas to boost range; and three WiFi bands with quad-streams, 1024 QAM, and MU-MIMO** capable for the fastest WiFi speeds. It also supports more wired connections with six Gigabit Ethernet ports including two that can be aggregated for faster file transfers

Last edited:

mikengtw

Reaction score
Very temptation to buy at this kind of price at $599.. but
the Asus also price at $469. RT-AC5300.. need to think
for sure I have to ask for early bonus from my boss.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A few factor that can help (I am not saying which is bad or good) .

1) Shape - I am putting this in siting room and I know it make my siting room look nicer.

2) This one is Active Antenna - major different. - You are paying for the features. - I read from some website that 4 external take care the 5G and 4 internal the 2.4G (not sure yet as I will update when I can confirm from my source.)

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why Active antenna ??? Way back in Feb 2015 .... already a discussion technolgy

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/18/wifi-chip-active-antenna/

http://www.techspot.com/news/59789-future-wi-fi-routers-teer-signals-penetrate-furthest.html

Mark my word - I believe just a matter of time other brand will follow ..... but now you can have it in this babe that is the industry’s first, patent-pending Active Antennas to boost range; ..... while the rest still far far behind.....

You pay $100+ more compare both brand .. rememeber I am paying $200+....:D

I capture the dBi strength same phone same distance in the first few post - line of sight no blockage in between but was thumb down that it is not a correct reading and will mislead people that signal strength not equal thruput.

So I suppose -25 dBi thurput is same as -40 dBi thru put .... I have a hard time to convince myself .... still trying....:D

Last edited:

a562140

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
active antennae - does it do as well as mu mimo for multiple devices?

a562140

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also does it have local IPTV presets, so that I can bypass singtel's router?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.