Advice on wifi for old HDB 5 rooms setup

snowydust

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope to seek some advice on my current situation. I am staying in a 5 rooms HDB flat and is using Starhub cable (100 mbps); so far comfortable with the speed. I am using Asus N56U router and it is placed in my study room (marked x in the diagram) while the modem is in the living room (marked circle). The router is connected from the Modem via ethernet cable that is pulled from the living room. Reason for putting my router in study room is i am connecting my PC and NAS using ethernet. There are 2 issues so far:
  • Bedroom 2 has very weak wifi signal, even if connected it is very slow; but Main Bedroom wifi connectivity seems okay and speed is quite decent.
  • I think starting these few weeks, the wifi has been unstable even when i am in my living room or study room.

I have another Asus N56U router which was given by a friend. I was able to access the setup screen via (192.168.1.2), but as I was trying to configure between AP and AP Client setup (Padavan firmware), i was not able to access the setup page anymore (even after hard reset).

Will like to have some inputs on what should I do to improve the wifi connectivity in Bedroom 2? Should i get a new router (am thinking of Asus AC86U) and whether should i change the router location to be in the living room, near the marked circle)? Thanks all in advance!

39572576705_ecb79f0188_z.jpg

dryteletubby

Reaction score
To fix your 2nd n56u. Take it out of your network and connect it directly to your pc, then give your pc a static IP address in the 192.168.1.xx range. Login to the webui and set it to AP mode. After that you can put it back to your network.

snowydust

Reaction score
To fix your 2nd n56u. Take it out of your network and connect it directly to your pc, then give your pc a static IP address in the 192.168.1.xx range. Login to the webui and set it to AP mode. After that you can put it back to your network.

I have tried to plug it directly to my pc previously. How do i give my pc a static IP address? Apologies as i am quite noob in networking.

Do you think the second N56U will help to resolve the weak wifi connectivity in the bedrooms? Thanks!

JustDoLor

Reaction score
If you 2nd N56 is reset, the default IP should be 192.168.1.1. First Disconnect from the 1st N56. Then Wired directly on LAN port with PC/laptop and u can login.

If set to AP, and connect to the 1st N56 Your 2nd N56 will be reassign with a new IP from the 1st N56.
Log onto the 1st N56 (assume default 192.168.1.1), check the client list, the 2nd N56 should be listed as one of the client with a new IP. Login with the new IP.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I have tried to plug it directly to my pc previously. How do i give my pc a static IP address? Apologies as i am quite noob in networking.

Do you think the second N56U will help to resolve the weak wifi connectivity in the bedrooms? Thanks!

If you are using windows the network shortcut will be on your taskbar. Google how to set static IP address on pc. 2 n56u is better then 1 probably

Last edited:

nickpeh

Reaction score
Hi,

U should connect the lan cable from modem to wireless router 1 and place it near the walkway to the bedroom 2.
Then study room wireless router 2 with bridge capability set to bridge mode so u can wired connect from router to your desktop and others except wireless signal.
U placed another wireless router 3 in bedroom 2 and set as AP, shouldn't be an issue bcos now your wireless router is along the walkway giving u better signal.

Hi all,

I hope to seek some advice on my current situation. I am staying in a 5 rooms HDB flat and is using Starhub cable (100 mbps); so far comfortable with the speed. I am using Asus N56U router and it is placed in my study room (marked x in the diagram) while the modem is in the living room (marked circle). The router is connected from the Modem via ethernet cable that is pulled from the living room. Reason for putting my router in study room is i am connecting my PC and NAS using ethernet. There are 2 issues so far:
  • Bedroom 2 has very weak wifi signal, even if connected it is very slow; but Main Bedroom wifi connectivity seems okay and speed is quite decent.
  • I think starting these few weeks, the wifi has been unstable even when i am in my living room or study room.

I have another Asus N56U router which was given by a friend. I was able to access the setup screen via (192.168.1.2), but as I was trying to configure between AP and AP Client setup (Padavan firmware), i was not able to access the setup page anymore (even after hard reset).

Will like to have some inputs on what should I do to improve the wifi connectivity in Bedroom 2? Should i get a new router (am thinking of Asus AC86U) and whether should i change the router location to be in the living room, near the marked circle)? Thanks all in advance!

39572576705_ecb79f0188_z.jpg

snowydust

Reaction score
If you 2nd N56 is reset, the default IP should be 192.168.1.1. First Disconnect from the 1st N56. Then Wired directly on LAN port with PC/laptop and u can login.

If set to AP, and connect to the 1st N56 Your 2nd N56 will be reassign with a new IP from the 1st N56.
Log onto the 1st N56 (assume default 192.168.1.1), check the client list, the 2nd N56 should be listed as one of the client with a new IP. Login with the new IP.

I hard reset the 2nd N56u router by pressing the button behind and disconnect my main N56u router. Although the 2nd N56u has been reset and i can connect and surf internet via modem -> 2nd N56u router -> pc, i cannot access the router at 192.168.1.1. I tried 'ipconfig /all' command and the default gateway is something like "fe80::xxxxxx". Is there anything else i can do to gain access to my router? Thanks!

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I hard reset the 2nd N56u router by pressing the button behind and disconnect my main N56u router. Although the 2nd N56u has been reset and i can connect and surf internet via modem -> 2nd N56u router -> pc, i cannot access the router at 192.168.1.1. I tried 'ipconfig /all' command and the default gateway is something like "fe80::xxxxxx". Is there anything else i can do to gain access to my router? Thanks!

Doesn't starhub cable modem also work as a router? Your modem and router may have the same IP address. You may want to set your Asus router as a access point instead or disable the routing function in your starhub modem.

snowydust

Reaction score
Nope. Mine is still cable broadband which is using D-Link DCM 712 Cable Modem, don't think it works as a router too.

Since i cant access my router configuration page, i also don't think that i can configure in to AP or etc. It should be as per default since i hard reset it already.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
That is an Ipv6 address leh... I think the router probably not reset correctly...
Maybe cant try logging using http://router.asus.com

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Nope. Mine is still cable broadband which is using D-Link DCM 712 Cable Modem, don't think it works as a router too.

Since i cant access my router configuration page, i also don't think that i can configure in to AP or etc. It should be as per default since i hard reset it already.

Are you using your pc to access your router web interface? Maybe try using another device like your phone. Could be your pc is set to another subnet from your router.

Last edited:

snowydust

Reaction score
Are you using your pc to access your router web interface? Maybe try using another device like your phone. Could be your pc is set to another subnet from your router.

Alright, will give it a try tonight. I suppose if i will disconnect the first n56u then try to login as 192.168.1.1 to my 2nd n56u from my hp.

snowydust

Reaction score

Although i can see Asus SSID, i don't know the default password. Tried google and waa told to use the pin no. Again I tried and it doesn't work.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Alright, will give it a try tonight. I suppose if i will disconnect the first n56u then try to login as 192.168.1.1 to my 2nd n56u from my hp.

Maybe it is best to redo everything on the 2nd n56u before proceeding.
That is to ensure the router is in working condition, able to access internet, and reset all the settings to default.
If necessary, it may have to check if the firmware is updated properly.

For start, do download the n56u manual for proper instructions stated.

Factory or Hard reset is to Press the Reset button for more than 5 seconds, preferable 10 seconds, refer to page 49 of the manual for more details including login username and password.

Refer to page 10 to connect wired from modem > 2nd n56u router > PC for internet access.
You may have to remove the original 1st router in order ensure this 2nd router able to access internet and is good.

Since it is a cable broadband, if there is another cable coaxial point in the room, you can connect it to use.

Next in Chapter 3 page 16 is to logging into web GUI
Check and do the necessary changes as in SSID & password and take notes on most of the other settings, which may no need to change yet.
(Not to change to AP mode yet, as this step is to ensure the router is working and able to access to internet.)
Once complete do save the settings and exit.

Only from here onward then you do the necessary changes you want, including whatever others advice, if you see fit.

snowydust

Reaction score
Maybe it is best to redo everything on the 2nd n56u before proceeding.
That is to ensure the router is in working condition, able to access internet, and reset all the settings to default.
If necessary, it may have to check if the firmware is updated properly.

For start, do download the n56u manual for proper instructions stated.

Factory or Hard reset is to Press the Reset button for more than 5 seconds, preferable 10 seconds, refer to page 49 of the manual for more details including login username and password.

Refer to page 10 to connect wired from modem > 2nd n56u router > PC for internet access.
You may have to remove the original 1st router in order ensure this 2nd router able to access internet and is good.

Since it is a cable broadband, if there is another cable coaxial point in the room, you can connect it to use.

Next in Chapter 3 page 16 is to logging into web GUI
Check and do the necessary changes as in SSID & password and take notes on most of the other settings, which may no need to change yet.
(Not to change to AP mode yet, as this step is to ensure the router is working and able to access to internet.)
Once complete do save the settings and exit.

Only from here onward then you do the necessary changes you want, including whatever others advice, if you see fit.

Hi Eric,

Really appreciate your response. Maybe let me share the things that i have done so far.

1) Initially the 2nd router was working fine; I have earlier set it to 192.168.1.2 which has been working alright. It only encountered issues after i switched between "AP Client" and "AP" modes then it suddenly become inaccessible from the web gui.

2) After trying many ways and spending hours to "revive" the router, i finally gave in to do a hard reset by pressing the Reset button behind the router. I disconnect my first router and then connect the modem with the problematic 2nd router. I then restarted my modem and connect the 2nd router to my pc. My pc is able to access to the Internet but strangely there is no way that i can enter the router web gui. The 192.168.1.1 is not working. I went to cmd and typed ipconfig /all to get the default gateway. This is where i see it having "FE:80;;xxxxx" and some other IP Address like 59.xxx.xxx.xxx or 218.xxx.xxx.xxx. I tried using these IP addresses but could not access the web gui.

3) Yesterday i tried the ASUS discovery utility and it seems like the utility could not detect the router itself.

4) I tried to access the default "ASUS" SSID via my laptop / hp as suggested. But i could not login without the password. I read that the default password should be the PIN on the router but it didn't work.

I think that since i have already reset the router, the firmware should fall back to the default rather than Padavan? I don't think this is the root cause as well. Anyway i highly doubt that this router can be used anymore, so i may recontract to Starhub Fibre which will give the Linksys EA7500 router.

My next question is, will there be conflict if i use both the new Linksys router and also my current first router "Asus N56u" together?

Thank you!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.