Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus RT-AC66U or Netgear R6300 router

Like Tree7Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Smile Asus RT-AC66U or Netgear R6300 router

I am considering buying a Router. My environment is mixed of Old laptops on Windows, Mac-book and Linux.

Initially I was considering Asus I came across the following site which compares Asus vs Netgear

ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac vs NetGear R6300 in Routers

Looks like Asus don't support all WiF. Is it required?

What you suggest?

Thank you
itsme220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Master Member

If you need VLAN tag support for fibre connections and VPN passthrough, go for the ASUS, if not then can go for the Netgear. I'm using the R6300. The performance on 2.4 and 5.0 is superb.
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

If you need VLAN tag support for fibre connections and VPN passthrough, go for the ASUS, if not then can go for the Netgear. I'm using the R6300. The performance on 2.4 and 5.0 is superb.
Thanks kashix. If I buy ASUS, will my old laptop works well with ASUS as some of the wi-fi technology supported is new.
itsme220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

From what I know, R6300 supports max 4096 connections. Might be a problem if users torrents heavily. besides that, sg asus support seems better than netgear.

i think theres some mistakes with the comparison website.
RT-AC66U specs

R6300
cyberet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Master Member

Thanks kashix. If I buy ASUS, will my old laptop works well with ASUS as some of the wi-fi technology supported is new.
I believe it's a bit biased or untrue, the website. The Asus is also A/B/G/N backwards compatible but if you get the Netgear now, it's a better deal because there's a new promotion where you get the R6300 + the A6200, the Ac adapter and a free targus bag for a slightly cheaper price than the ASUS. The price for the bundle mentioned aboved is only $299. You can get it from Funan Challenger.
cyberet, itsme220 and ASUS@SG like this.
Old 19-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Master Member

From what I know, R6300 supports max 4096 connections. Might be a problem if users torrents heavily. besides that, sg asus support seems better than netgear.

i think theres some mistakes with the comparison website.
RT-AC66U specs

R6300
the max connection is more than enough, you won't use much more than that for the typical user anyway. For me I'm using the R6300, the torrent speed hover between 2mb/sec to 6mb/sec. I'm with MR.
cyberet likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Hardware Clinic, ASUS eCustomer Service Center

Seem like Misleading information given.

ASUS RT-AC66U support n/g/a
spilksch and iEatpraylove like this.
ASUS@SG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

the max connection is more than enough, you won't use much more than that for the typical user anyway. For me I'm using the R6300, the torrent speed hover between 2mb/sec to 6mb/sec. I'm with MR.
For Win XP the max concurrent Connection is limit to only 10.
For Vista and Win 7 the limitation is only 20. Unless you hack the windows TCPIP.sys or you are using the window server or Linux you are always under the window concurrent connection limitation. You can check the windows event viewer and if you see connection limit means you are limited by the windows.

to check the Concurrent Connection in windows go to command prompt and type "netstat -s" and it will tell you.
feintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Master Member

For Vista and Win 7 the limitation is only 20. Unless you hack the windows TCPIP.sys or you are using the window server or Linux you are always under the window concurrent connection limitation. You can check the windows event viewer and if you see connection limit means you are limited by the windows.

to check the Concurrent Connection in windows go to command prompt and type "netstat -s" and it will tell you.
So nostalgic, the TCPIP.sys hack hahaha! Will try that to see if there's a improvement!
Old 19-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #10

So nostalgic, the TCPIP.sys hack hahaha! Will try that to see if there's a improvement!
doubt there's any improvement if the ISP limit the bandwidth. To really have any improvement I think you need to remove both barrier.
feintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #11
Master Member

doubt there's any improvement if the ISP limit the bandwidth. To really have any improvement I think you need to remove both barrier.
last time yes, no idea if it's a placebo effect hahahaha!
Old 20-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
Master Member

I am considering buying a Router. My environment is mixed of Old laptops on Windows, Mac-book and Linux.

Initially I was considering Asus I came across the following site which compares Asus vs Netgear

ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac vs NetGear R6300 in Routers

Looks like Asus don't support all WiF. Is it required?

What you suggest?

Thank you
btw you're safe with either choice, both are solid router but if u want to make the best out of your Wi-Fi router (AC) go for the netgear, comes with the AC Wi-Fi adapter! good buy!
Old 20-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #13

btw you're safe with either choice, both are solid router but if u want to make the best out of your Wi-Fi router (AC) go for the netgear, comes with the AC Wi-Fi adapter! good buy!

Anyone can advise me as PACE A5520N can be replace with Asus directly ?
Windowlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
Master Member

Limit is for currently connecting, not connected. You can have more than that for connections. If you run netstat you should have noticed that the number of connections can exceed 10 or 20. Doing the hack will let your computer set up more connections faster, but that's all.

If you have 20 connections pending, then no more can be added, but these will either change to connected or timeout, which means the 20 slots will be freed.

Last edited by Qubicfactor; 20-04-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Qubicfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #15
Master Member

Anyone can advise me as PACE A5520N can be replace with Asus directly ?
yes can yes
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.