HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bad Experience with SingTel

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #1

Bad Experience with SingTel

Just sharing my bad experience with #SingTel...

I was given a free mobile broadband (data SIM) in June 2013 when I signed up my mioHome contract via SingTel telesales.

This data SIM was all along inserted into a iPad for my 3 young kids to play at home (eldest aged 6), but was always connected to the home wifi. The iPad never leave the house.

However in March this year, I suddenly see a $175 bill for this data SIM, with data usage of >20GB. So I called up to SingTel to enquire.

Apparently, for chalking up this amount, the iPad was not connected to the home wifi (maybe due to mio modem hanged, restarted, accidentally switched off wifi, or whatsoever reason). I asked why I did not have any alerts, which I usually receive on my mobile line when reach 80% and 100%. They checked the system and said alert messages were indeed sent, and asked if I'm using the data SIM on iPad. I said yes, and they said that's why I couldn't receive the alerts as iPad cannot receive SMS. They told me I could have set the alert to another mobile number, but I said I dunno that can be done. They said their Sales personnel should have advised at the point of purchase. I reiterated to her that the data SIM is free and was delivered to my house by SingPost when I signup mioHome. No instruction was given, no guide was available to highlight the excess data usage alert could be set to another number.

Then the CSO refer me to read my bill, say I could do *SEND to check the current data usage periodically. I asked to confirm if *SEND works on iPad, they said no. Then why even suggest?

Then the CSO said if it's local data charges that was exceeded, they can't waive off. If it's international roaming, they can waive. Duh! Stunned like vegetables!

I decided to terminate the data SIM and asked the CSO what is it contract end date for the data SIM, she told me 30 Jun 2015. After speaking to another CSO, she told me apparently there's no contract at all!

Decided to ask them what are the contract end dates for all my other SingTel services (home broadband, fixed line, mioTV), they said the system not linked and they don't know. #WorldClassTelco

Given up. Will terminate all my SingTel services come expiry of contract. SingTel has just lost one entire household, and perhaps my parent's household, and my relatives as well...

#SingTel #mioHome #SingTelmio #GoodByeSingTel #DisappointedwithSingTel #PortingOut #RememberingGushCloud #GushCloud #TerminatingSingTel
ussr_1991 likes this.
tansh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Master Member

If the iPad never leaves the house, why put the data SIM in the iPad? Asking for trouble leh, especially when you give it to 3 young kids some more. They probably itchy hand turned off wifi or something. 6 year old can incur more than 20gb??? What they doing sia

At the point of purchase, or even the advertisement, it should be indicated that it is only 1GB(?). I remember seeing the ads lor.

Even if u jump Telco and similar things happen, they also won't wave lor.

Everytime see this type of case is usually user problem, either old folks or young kids dunno then exceed data lah, incur overseas data charges lah then cannot wave off then cry mother cry father.
ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:58 AM   #3

This is not singtel fault, even if u change isp, u still will face same thing. u re lucky liao....i have see $200+ , $1000+ and even $2000. They even go to singtel facebook and go mp to complain...but in the end, they still have to pay.

When i saw this case before....i train myself the followings:
1) Disable data roaming at home. (Never rely on the auto-detect)
2) Set data hardware limit, it will either warn or cut off your internet when it reach the set limits.
3) I always disable my 4g before letting the kids to play...and tell them dont mess with the settings.
4) I also educate them never watch video outside.
5) pre-paid card for kids.

i never trust the system of sms warning..is kinda of dumb.

wongminmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 01:53 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just sharing my bad experience with #SingTel...

I was given a free mobile broadband (data SIM) in June 2013 when I signed up my mioHome contract via SingTel telesales.

This data SIM was all along inserted into a iPad for my 3 young kids to play at home (eldest aged 6), but was always connected to the home wifi. The iPad never leave the house.

However in March this year, I suddenly see a $175 bill for this data SIM, with data usage of >20GB. So I called up to SingTel to enquire.

Apparently, for chalking up this amount, the iPad was not connected to the home wifi (maybe due to mio modem hanged, restarted, accidentally switched off wifi, or whatsoever reason). I asked why I did not have any alerts, which I usually receive on my mobile line when reach 80% and 100%. They checked the system and said alert messages were indeed sent, and asked if I'm using the data SIM on iPad. I said yes, and they said that's why I couldn't receive the alerts as iPad cannot receive SMS. They told me I could have set the alert to another mobile number, but I said I dunno that can be done. They said their Sales personnel should have advised at the point of purchase. I reiterated to her that the data SIM is free and was delivered to my house by SingPost when I signup mioHome. No instruction was given, no guide was available to highlight the excess data usage alert could be set to another number.

Then the CSO refer me to read my bill, say I could do *SEND to check the current data usage periodically. I asked to confirm if *SEND works on iPad, they said no. Then why even suggest?

Then the CSO said if it's local data charges that was exceeded, they can't waive off. If it's international roaming, they can waive. Duh! Stunned like vegetables!

I decided to terminate the data SIM and asked the CSO what is it contract end date for the data SIM, she told me 30 Jun 2015. After speaking to another CSO, she told me apparently there's no contract at all!

Decided to ask them what are the contract end dates for all my other SingTel services (home broadband, fixed line, mioTV), they said the system not linked and they don't know. #WorldClassTelco

Given up. Will terminate all my SingTel services come expiry of contract. SingTel has just lost one entire household, and perhaps my parent's household, and my relatives as well...

#SingTel #mioHome #SingTelmio #GoodByeSingTel #DisappointedwithSingTel #PortingOut #RememberingGushCloud #GushCloud #TerminatingSingTel
Sorry to say this. Changing telco will not solved the problem here. The same issue can occurs again after you move to M1 or Starhub.

The root cause is you put a data SIM in a machine for kids and you neglect to take the necessary actions to prevent hiccups. It got nothing to do with Singtel.

The solution is:

1) Ask you kids not to turn off wifi.
2) Take out the SIM card from the iPad since it never leave the house.
seller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
Master Member

i have to agree with seller 4, wongminmin and ladiesman217.

since the ipad is meant to be used at home connected to the wifi, you shldnt even put the data sim card in it in the first place. that's like a time bomb waiting to go off anytime.

and it might not be the fault of the internet connection? remember how iOS 7 or 8 had those spotty Wi-Fi connections that dropped from time to time?

Sorry, but have to say, you have no one else to blame but yourself.
jtjt00 and what88 like this.
swgj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #6

Youre lucky. $175 is not so much compared to those who kanna charged hundreds more.

Not sure about ther telcos, usually they cant waive because services were incurred.

You may have intended to bring the iPad out sometimes, so the data sim card inside is useful. Also, most of us share our devices within household members, so data accidents like this can happen.

Some devices/apps have smart features that connect to both wifi and mobile data for speedier downloads and connection. Need to review on what the kids have been playing.

But yea, to be on the safe side, either turn mobile data off or remove the data card entirely.

Are the kids old enough? Can educate them lor. Kids nowadays learn things fast.

And yes, going to another telco does not guarantee this issue can be avoided in future.
WWE_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

This is not the first and would not be the last. There bounds to have ignorant subscribers facing this situation from time to time. Only when their pocket is hit, would know the situation.
jtjt00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

iPad / iPhone in order to download over 100mb of app will require to be connected to wifi

The only way to incurr over 20gb, the likely scenario is video streaming.

Eldest child is 6 years old

That makes me wonder. Is it really the kids ...
Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:30 AM   #9

Youtube lah......same as my kids watching youtube in HD on their tablets...tats y i never use SIM card in the tablets. Lucky now telco got capped limit charges else it will be more. Hope lesson is learnt here....

P.S. sometimes i let my kids use my hp to watch for 10mins...the data can shoot up to 800MB-1GB!!!!!
abstrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #10

[
Where can complain and can get redress for yr case? I also have similar bad experience with them for anyhow charge me.

Can write to their ceo and demand immediate action from them?

QUOTE=tansh3;93365445]Just sharing my bad experience with #SingTel...

#SingTel #mioHome #SingTelmio #GoodByeSingTel #DisappointedwithSingTel #PortingOut #RememberingGushCloud #GushCloud #TerminatingSingTel[/QUOTE]
starsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 06:35 AM   #11
Master Member

Laugh die me.....
Own self never take precaution expect telco to do so... What laughter sia... Just like eaten buffet dinner and not expecting to pay up and play punk.

[
Where can complain and can get redress for yr case? I also have similar bad experience with them for anyhow charge me.

Can write to their ceo and demand immediate action from them?

QUOTE=tansh3;93365445]Just sharing my bad experience with #SingTel...

[/QUOTE]
jury_pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

Good morning everyone. I always feel there are 2 sides of the coin. Customer should take precaution. However, to be an outstanding company, company should consider all the possible risk and do things differently to be in the business.

Take for instance F&B. If anyone has been to Hai Di Lao steamboat, you will see what they do is different from traditional big restaurants. In today's landscape, things change fast. If a company is in the service industry, they better learn how to provide a great service.
ussr_1991 likes this.
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Good morning everyone. I always feel there are 2 sides of the coin. Customer should take precaution. However, to be an outstanding company, company should consider all the possible risk and do things differently to be in the business.

Take for instance F&B. If anyone has been to Hai Di Lao steamboat, you will see what they do is different from traditional big restaurants. In today's landscape, things change fast. If a company is in the service industry, they better learn how to provide a great service.
Sad to say this... your Hai Di Lao cannot apply to this case. TS still has to pay for the incurred charges.
albertchng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
Master Member

TS lack of knowledge of product got him into trouble. for those ipad with 3G. set your iPad to Airplane Mode. then turn on WIFI only. this way, no way you can tio such charges unless ur kids turn it ON.

but best will b take out SIM CARD
geckoSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Banned

Why do you want to put the SIM card into the tablet when you know that the tablet is always left at home??
kingtiger2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.