Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Big problem with Starhub's new CISCO DPC3925 modem

Like Tree60Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

Big problem with Starhub's new CISCO DPC3925 modem

I have always been a big fan of Starhub Internet ever since I moved to Singapore.

This time, while I was moving to a new condo, I applied for an additional MaxOnline Ultime (100mbps). (and my existing one moved to a separate address)

Now the nightmare starts.

I was getting frequent disconnections. If I were to search the Internet it was ... "okay" to be honest, although I get the feeling of lagging and some kind of delays.

Most evident problem showed up when I was trying to download something. Very frequently, the download would stop so I would need to redo redo and redo...

Here are the problems I faced.
- Definitely problem with WiFi access meaning weak signals across the house. But I'm not even talking about WiFi. I had used a wired connection. And we're not even talking about speed. The test results were good with 90~100mbps. But disconnection was the major problem.
- For Wired connection, don't try testing me out guys. I did a direct connection out of the all-in-one router and nothing else connected.
- Defect of the Router? NO. I was changed the router to a new modem (same model) and same problem persisted.
- The Starhub engineer that came showed me turning off the "Block IP Flooding" feature in the Firewall settings, but that also didn' do any help.

I had complained strongly and asked to change to the old Motorola modem. Now with the good old Motorola one, I do not have the disconnection and the overall performance is much higher. No feeling of delay or lag and the download of bigger files do not result in ANY disconnection.

I am quite surprised how they could release a modem with this problem, and expect their MaxOnline "Ultimate" users, who are paying more money for more speed and stability, to live with the problems like this. I'm sure it's not their fault, and more of the manufacturers, but
- Starhub and CISCO should both listen to their customers' complaints. Their customers are not stupid and most users know more IT than their engineers or call center girls who just follow the customer response manuals. Many of their customers are experts.
- From the country I come, in order for a Telco company to distribute such modem to customer, they go for a near year field test, very heavy one, to make sure this problem does not occur. Because once occured, the amount of money loss on the modem as well as their customers' precious time, also the brand damage is severe. I am not sure how long and intensive the testing of this modem was, but it all seems to me this modem has a major, MAJOR problem, that not all users will report... but many and more & more will do.

Make sure you guys don't end up using this modem.
newkidontheblock likes this.
mio1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

if u have frequent d/c, try to ask the starhub engineer to look into your area line.

I last time got connection reset issues in my area. After calling 1633, they look into the issue and resolved it. Now I have little or no random d/c in my bb modem. I am also using DPC3925 modem .
DAREN771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

sounds like its your area and the modem, have you feedback that?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

if u have frequent d/c, try to ask the starhub engineer to look into your area line.

I last time got connection reset issues in my area. After calling 1633, they look into the issue and resolved it. Now I have little or no random d/c in my bb modem. I am also using DPC3925 modem .
er.... I don't think is signal ba... Since ts say download half way will stop. Should be wireless signal weak or congested. Else is the destination dropped you from the download.
whaleshark87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

er.... I don't think is signal ba... Since ts say download half way will stop. Should be wireless signal weak or congested. Else is the destination dropped you from the download.
I think ts isolate to modem Liao, if he can reproduce it once more using that modem either his nic don't like the modem or just simply that modem got problem..
HeeroYuy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

I'm also having problems with this model. Very bad speed issues and it disconnects quite a bit too. Even though I've upgraded my mbps, the Cisco DPC3925 works worse than my old Linksys one which starts up ready to go. With the DPC3925, I have to wait a minute or two to establish a connection and many times, mobile phones are unable to connect. At a loss of what to do here.
Smurfette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Are you still getting problems with tihS ?
scom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

I've been with this modem for 2 mths already. So far everything is good. I didn't do any manual config, just went with default.

Speeds fluctuations i can attribute to the peak periods during the day.

The wireless signal strength however, is quite bad once i have my device in any room other than the living room where the modem resides. Got around it by hooking up the connection to my old linksys wireless router which is in my own room.
riosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #9

Now, Seems the issues havnt totally settled yet
redwolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #10

Hi guys, I just switched to this modem. LAN runs fine but major problem with wireless. It keeps loosing connection intermittently when surfing on wireless devices. Any recommendations for a quick fix? Am thinking of just using it as a bridge and get another wireless router.
valkyrie_angel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #11

I have always been a big fan of Starhub Internet ever since I moved to Singapore.

This time, while I was moving to a new condo, I applied for an additional MaxOnline Ultime (100mbps). (and my existing one moved to a separate address)

Now the nightmare starts.

I was getting frequent disconnections. If I were to search the Internet it was ... "okay" to be honest, although I get the feeling of lagging and some kind of delays.

Most evident problem showed up when I was trying to download something. Very frequently, the download would stop so I would need to redo redo and redo...

Here are the problems I faced.
- Definitely problem with WiFi access meaning weak signals across the house. But I'm not even talking about WiFi. I had used a wired connection. And we're not even talking about speed. The test results were good with 90~100mbps. But disconnection was the major problem.
- For Wired connection, don't try testing me out guys. I did a direct connection out of the all-in-one router and nothing else connected.
- Defect of the Router? NO. I was changed the router to a new modem (same model) and same problem persisted.
- The Starhub engineer that came showed me turning off the "Block IP Flooding" feature in the Firewall settings, but that also didn' do any help.

I had complained strongly and asked to change to the old Motorola modem. Now with the good old Motorola one, I do not have the disconnection and the overall performance is much higher. No feeling of delay or lag and the download of bigger files do not result in ANY disconnection.

I am quite surprised how they could release a modem with this problem, and expect their MaxOnline "Ultimate" users, who are paying more money for more speed and stability, to live with the problems like this. I'm sure it's not their fault, and more of the manufacturers, but
- Starhub and CISCO should both listen to their customers' complaints. Their customers are not stupid and most users know more IT than their engineers or call center girls who just follow the customer response manuals. Many of their customers are experts.
- From the country I come, in order for a Telco company to distribute such modem to customer, they go for a near year field test, very heavy one, to make sure this problem does not occur. Because once occured, the amount of money loss on the modem as well as their customers' precious time, also the brand damage is severe. I am not sure how long and intensive the testing of this modem was, but it all seems to me this modem has a major, MAJOR problem, that not all users will report... but many and more & more will do.

Make sure you guys don't end up using this modem.
For all you know, it might well be the coaxial infrastructure in your new condo having noise interference or poor signal level. Some modems are very sensitive to the RF signal level fluctuation and may drop connection.
May the engineer check your coaxial point since it's not Wireless related in your case.
annai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

For all you know, it might well be the coaxial infrastructure in your new condo having noise interference or poor signal level. Some modems are very sensitive to the RF signal level fluctuation and may drop connection.
May the engineer check your coaxial point since it's not Wireless related in your case.
then it is still modem issue

i have a similar issue with TS

my building is very old.. hence noisy
the engineer already check up and down and round about
in the end .. issue me the old motorola modem

problem solved...
Reborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #13

Hi guys, I just switched to this modem. LAN runs fine but major problem with wireless. It keeps loosing connection intermittently when surfing on wireless devices. Any recommendations for a quick fix? Am thinking of just using it as a bridge and get another wireless router.
then it is still modem issue

i have a similar issue with TS

my building is very old.. hence noisy
the engineer already check up and down and round about
in the end .. issue me the old motorola modem

problem solved...
Me also facing same problem. I facing D/C by the AIO modem auto restart itself frequently. I don't think this issue is not related to area or coaxial infrastructure since it is auto restart...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #14

Thumbs down

To anyone contemplating signing up with starhub or upgrading to ultimate cable - think again!
The CISCO DPC3925 is junk - it's wireless connections (even 2 M away) are dropping all the time. It's just unusable Starhub.
I have to get the old Motorola back!
woodelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #15

I am giving up on this modem/ router, still facing wireless issues.

Going to use as a bridge device and getting a proper router, any recommendations?

Prefer one with gigabit lan.
valkyrie_angel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.