Connected To New Router Shows less than 10mpbs

caleb.seah

Reaction score
Actually the main problem is always been the first problem...

That i connect to modem directly from computer will get the full mbps but when i connect through the router even though it's new, only get 1/5 for it...

So totally clueless...

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After the technicians change for me, all the 3 computers are connected to the router.

As he says it can be connected either to router or modem(since he change from bridge to router mode), i chose to connect all the 3 computers via lan to the modem.

At that point, all the ports in the modem is being utilised, 3 computer and 1 asus router.

So i unplug the cable connecting to the router from the modem and bring it to my dad's room and unplug the computer lan cable into the asus router.

ok, so before you switch out to your dad's room, did you test the speed when you change the 3 comps connection from router to modem?

After that, you plug the router to your dad's room, did you tried changing the port at your modem to be the same port as before?

caleb.seah

Reaction score
ok, so before you switch out to your dad's room, did you test the speed when you change the 3 comps connection from router to modem?

After that, you plug the router to your dad's room, did you tried changing the port at your modem to be the same port as before?

Tested it's working fine... before changing...

Nope did not tried changing the port....

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok, since now you already hard reset the modem and router, you try changing the router settings to bridge mode, also make sure dhcp is off on the router.

alvinblank

Reaction score
Change the cable.
One of your cable is 10BaseT compatible only, make sure it's straight through.

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My bridge mode is on the modem. asus is a router, can make it bridge mode meh?

???????

your cisco modem is connecting to the internet, no?

Since your modem connecting internet, your asus router should be the one in bridge mode....

caleb.seah

Reaction score
???????

your cisco modem is connecting to the internet, no?

Since your modem connecting internet, your asus router should be the one in bridge mode....

Any idea how i should do this again?

My cisco modem is in bridge mode...

Now i'm connecting from my computer wire to router, and wire to cisco modem.

My cisco modem can function as both router and modem but i choose to buy a router for the wireless coverage...

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lets say modem and router are very similar,

the main one is the one connected to the internet, this one should have the normal settings, dhcp is on for this. dhcp assigns lan ip to the individual devices connected to the network.

the secondary one, which connects to the main one should be in bridge mode, dhcp is off for this.

top it off, since you got 2 network device that have wifi function, you can set up wifi for both of them, your devices can choose to connect to the stronger signal.

caleb.seah

Reaction score
lets say modem and router are very similar,

the main one is the one connected to the internet, this one should have the normal settings, dhcp is on for this. dhcp assigns lan ip to the individual devices connected to the network.

the secondary one, which connects to the main one should be in bridge mode, dhcp is off for this.

top it off, since you got 2 network device that have wifi function, you can set up wifi for both of them, your devices can choose to connect to the stronger signal.

So for my modem, i should:
1) Bridge it
2) DHCP On

Router:
DHCP Off?

I don't wanna receive wifi function from my router...

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So for my modem, i should:
1) Bridge it
2) DHCP On

Router:
DHCP Off?

I don't wanna receive wifi function from my router...

Which one is connecting to the internet (as in connected to the cable, fibre)? Bridge the one not connecting to the internet (the other one!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you making us confused now, you buy router for the wireless coverage but don't want to use the wifi function??? :s11::s11::s11:

caleb.seah

Reaction score
I'm connecting my computer via lan cable to the router.

My router is connected to the modem.

I want my router to transmit wifi and not the modem.

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm connecting my computer via lan cable to the router.

My router is connected to the modem.

I want my router to transmit wifi and not the modem.

so you got try my suggestion? bridge the asus router, not your cisco. dhcp off for the one with bridge mode.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.