Considering switching over to Starhub from Singtel - Need advice

sp0inK

Reaction score
My house is currently still running Singtel's ADSL broadband which will be shutting down in April this year. Right now i'm trying to arrange an appointment with Singtel to get their networking guys to do inspection/installation to prep for fibre connection. My home is a private estate and is not yet fibre ready.

Due to their horrible service, they've already missed the 1st appointment and am unable to get a proper confirmation for the second 1st appointment. I'm on the verge on giving up on trying to get them to show up for their own appointment timings.

I've decided that it would probably be simpler to migrate over to Starhub's 200mbps cable broadband instead of opting for a fibre network. I can at least have peace of mind until 2020 when Starhub decides whether or not to phase their cable broadband services.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but if I port over to Starhub's service, my house can continue using the existing phone line that is plugged into my modem using an RJ11 cable and installaton of a fibre terminal point installation would be unnecessary?

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well would said that u should put the blame on NLT. since they are the fiber optic company that helps install all these fiber optic terminal to every household.

but yes Singtel do have a partly to blame on the appt.

but as for your phone line ain't sure about starhub way. best u contact them to check on how they do it.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My house is currently still running Singtel's ADSL broadband which will be shutting down in April this year. Right now i'm trying to arrange an appointment with Singtel to get their networking guys to do inspection/installation to prep for fibre connection. My home is a private estate and is not yet fibre ready.

Due to their horrible service, they've already missed the 1st appointment and am unable to get a proper confirmation for the second 1st appointment. I'm on the verge on giving up on trying to get them to show up for their own appointment timings.

I've decided that it would probably be simpler to migrate over to Starhub's 200mbps cable broadband instead of opting for a fibre network. I can at least have peace of mind until 2020 when Starhub decides whether or not to phase their cable broadband services.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but if I port over to Starhub's service, my house can continue using the existing phone line that is plugged into my modem using an RJ11 cable and installaton of a fibre terminal point installation would be unnecessary?

correct me if i'm wrong, to arrange for a TP installation, you would already have signed up for singtel fibre. with this, i think you are already bound with a contract.

Starhub cable broadband doesn't use rj11 sockets, they use the co-axial points in the house. coming to which, if your co-axial points are not original and only the first point is original, you will also likely to run into attenuation issue for cable broadband. By then, starhub will want you to change the points, and you will have another set of issues cropping up.

sp0inK

Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong, to arrange for a TP installation, you would already have signed up for singtel fibre. with this, i think you are already bound with a contract.

Starhub cable broadband doesn't use rj11 sockets, they use the co-axial points in the house. coming to which, if your co-axial points are not original and only the first point is original, you will also likely to run into attenuation issue for cable broadband. By then, starhub will want you to change the points, and you will have another set of issues cropping up.

I was only issued a letter stating that ADSL broadband would be ceased, and have to make arrangements with Singtel (who will liase with netlink) to set up the necessary fibre termination points at my home. My existing broadband plan with Singtel is no longer under contract. Letter also stated the existing service can be terminated at no cost.

Thanks for your pointers, was not aware Starhub uses co-axial for cable broadband. Been using Singtel ADSL for very long time.

From this image it's safe to assume my home is able to support Starhub cable broadband? This co-axial point was used for SCV service a long time ago and is currently unutilized. https://imgur.com/a/7hxO9

Last edited:

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Do your already have a fibre termination point? If not it can cost over $200 to install. I guess Singtel will give u free FP installation due to the ADSL shutdown?

Furthermore I guess u will have special price from Singtel fibre for existing ADSL user?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll have to check again. From what I understand, SingTel does not arrange for TP installation for adsl customers free of charge if you do not sign up the contract with them for fibre service. From what I see, you might have accepted their singtel fibre upgrade promo. You can don’t accept their promo and go ahead until adsl shuts down for good, and they won’t arrange to install the TP for you as well.

I was only issued a letter stating that ADSL broadband would be ceased, and have to make arrangements with Singtel (who will liase with netlink) to set up the necessary fibre termination points at my home. My existing broadband plan with Singtel is no longer under contract. Letter also stated the existing service can be terminated at no cost.

Thanks for your pointers, was not aware Starhub uses co-axial for cable broadband. Been using Singtel ADSL for very long time.

From this image it's safe to assume my home is able to support Starhub cable broadband? This co-axial point was used for SCV service a long time ago and is currently unutilized. https://imgur.com/a/7hxO9

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
--- snipped ---

It might work as it look like coaxial point.
Best to contact them and provide your address too check.

wqye8Uz.jpg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.