D-Link SG To Launch DIR-885L AC3150 MU-MIMO Router ?

TechVodoo

Reaction score
Heard from friends in media industry that D-Link has revealed to launch this model?

Anyone knows about this model?

Anyone knows when the actual launch is? Or pricing?

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
From the spec sheet:
http://www.dlinkmea.com/partner/med...adables/7426-DIR-885L_A1_Datasheet_01(HQ).pdf
it looks like the small brother of the AC5300 895L model, i.e. only 1 5GHz radio instead of 2.
At the back, has 1 usb port and also a switch for router/extender mode. The 890L doesn't have this.

!!!... But I already have my red spider... this is like the younger brother of my red spider... definitely if the size is smaller then it will be more attractive than DIR-890L.

just wondering on the performance... sigh, seems like D-Link is bent on burning my pocket...

lookeong

Reaction score
What is the major difference between this AC3120 VS AC3200? difference of 80Mbps?

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
What is the major difference between this AC3120 VS AC3200? difference of 80Mbps?
I am not sure but all i know is that with mu-mimo, its like opening up more lanes on PIE to help more cars pass through at one go >> less congested, faster access... not sure if my understanding is correct? My red spider 890l doesnt have the mu-mimo feature... this brother got.

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT

TechVodoo

Reaction score

Its AC3150 and not AC3120.

The way D-Link position this new router in their press release seems to be interesting enough. But up till today, there are no info on their SG website and facebook yet.

I hope they support VLAN as well.

TechVodoo

Reaction score
When is going be on the shelf.. :)

according to my media friend who attend last week press conference, they are looking at Q4 2015... so we've got only November and December to look at? actual on shelf day not stated in the press release.

wonder if Asus and D-Link - which one will have their AC3100/AC3150 in SG first?

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
Maybe all waiting for Sitex to launch?

wah, then ho sey liao... it will be to the benefit of the consumers lor... hahahaha... must see which company got very good promoter to convince me to sell my red spider and get their MU-MIMO AC3100 router liao... HAHAHAH

TechVodoo

Reaction score
wah, then ho sey liao... it will be to the benefit of the consumers lor... hahahaha... must see which company got very good promoter to convince me to sell my red spider and get their MU-MIMO AC3100 router liao... HAHAHAH

it'll be useless to just follow whatever product that will be launched. u need to look the practical aspect on whether it is a want or need based on your home environment. And of course, the price point of the similar products should be another decision-affecting factor.

the routers by far aren't any designer piece where u can proudly display at any place in your house without having them look strange and out of place.

finally, performance is the most important of all, from a practical point of view. unless u r a real geek, a good router should always stay with you and perform well for next 2 - 3 years without having you to splurge too much annually.

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
it'll be useless to just follow whatever product that will be launched. u need to look the practical aspect on whether it is a want or need based on your home environment. And of course, the price point of the similar products should be another decision-affecting factor.

the routers by far aren't any designer piece where u can proudly display at any place in your house without having them look strange and out of place.

finally, performance is the most important of all, from a practical point of view. unless u r a real geek, a good router should always stay with you and perform well for next 2 - 3 years without having you to splurge too much annually.

ya agree that looks are important, also the performance. the reasons why I chose 890L (red spider) is because upgrade of plan to 1Gbps, the color that is very striking (my living room has basically black, white and brown colors, so somehow, this router gets a lot of questions from my guests and at the same time, add some element to the living room) and the awards it has been getting / accumulating worldwide.

I would think 890L will stay with me for some time, but like my previous thread, im curious about how the MU-MIMO works - compare with the tri-band that my current router has...

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
Good hear that is wireless Antenna can be remove, mean can get a high gain antenna.

what do high gain antennas do? like cameras, u change lens to take pictures from a further distance... how about antennas?

TechVodoo

Reaction score
what do high gain antennas do? like cameras, u change lens to take pictures from a further distance... how about antennas?

haha! good question! I don't think it was stated in the press release but can never doubt the knowledge of hwz forum members! hahaha

anyway I did a bit of research and here's what high gain antennas do. In general, it is to amplify the signals from router to devices and devices to router... its like having a better 2-way communication.

not sure if im right, I think the techy members can advise.

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
haha! good question! I don't think it was stated in the press release but can never doubt the knowledge of hwz forum members! hahaha

anyway I did a bit of research and here's what high gain antennas do. In general, it is to amplify the signals from router to devices and devices to router... its like having a better 2-way communication.

not sure if im right, I think the techy members can advise.

haha thanks! which means, the router and the devices that the router is talking to can all hear clearly what they want to talk right?

hope they release an official press release soon which we can see on hwz, then maybe can ask some questions?

Marack

Reaction score
Aiyah all this MU-MIMO thingy will poison more pple and make existing members who had already gotten AC3200 based routers heart-pain only... :s22:

VodkaDevil

Reaction score
Aiyah all this MU-MIMO thingy will poison more pple and make existing members who had already gotten AC3200 based routers heart-pain only... :s22:

haha is like just bought the iphone 6 then iphone 6s came out...but nevermind lah, with the power hardware i don't think there will be any different in term of whether is SU MIMO or MU MIMO.......unless you have super alot of devices like 15 to 20 connect to it...so far i at home have almost 13 devices (handphones,tablet,laptop ) my whole family de, i didnt experience any lag on youtube streaming and my brother gaming.....maybe once DIR-885L out if the price is sweet, maybe can buy one and play also...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.