Desktop not able to get 1.0Gbps Speed

Like Tree2Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Desktop not able to get 1.0Gbps Speed

Hi all.

I'm currently facing this issue for my desktop.

My desktop is connected via CAT 6 LAN cable connection but it's showing me only 100Mbps speed. Initially I thought it could be the cable issue so I tried connecting it to my laptop with the same cable but it showed me 1.0Gbps speed. I connect it back to my desktop again and I tweak the settings of my on-board NIC (Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)(latest driver updated by the way) to force it getting a 1.0Gbps full duplex link speed but it totally gives no signal or connection at all.

I put my NIC settings back to auto-negotiate option and went to buy a cheap Intel NIC (Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter) thinking that my on-board NIC could be faulty or outdated. After I slotted the new NIC in, downloaded and installed it's latest driver, it's still showing me 100Mbps which leaves me very clueless to what I should do next.

My broadband plan is Singtel fibre Express 150Mbps. If I connect my laptop with the LAN cable, I'm able to get the full 150Mbps to 169Mbps speed for it. But my desktop is getting only 70Mbps to 90Mbps for it cos of that issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! =)

Last edited by Victor_TanTW; 14-10-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Victor_TanTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #2

which port of the 2wire modem is ur desktop using? Only port 1 supports full gigabit.
etherealism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Are you sure the Cable is really CAT6?
Is it a flat/thin cable?
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #4

@Victor_TanTW

The cable is having contact issue. Recently when I changed to fiber from adsl plan, one pc had no problem with the connection while another had fluctuating connections ranging from zero (which alerted me to the problem), and then to 10Mbps and 100Mbps, when I tried reseating the sockets.

I manged to get back the 1Gbps speed after many tries. But in the end I decided to use a new cable.

Cable termination, from big power cable to small signal cable, is always a problem. Cable secured with screws can turn loose over time also. The cat5/6 cable after being conditioned to flex in a certain way, may result in poor contact if the cable ends are moved and flexed differently.

For an idea of how strong (or how weak depending on how you see it), you may wish to take a look at the pics shown here>>Installing Cat 6E (and Cat 5E) Shielded Modular Plugs using the QuickTreX™ System .

Note: Even the crimped parts may lose its strength and contacts over time.
mrsun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

which port of the 2wire modem is ur desktop using? Only port 1 supports full gigabit.
My layout goes like this

TP -> ONT -> Pace Router -> My own router -> Desktop

But then again I did tested connecting to all the ports on my routers once (using my laptop) I still get 1.0Gbps link speed.

Are you sure the Cable is really CAT6?
Is it a flat/thin cable?
Yeah I checked. It is CAT6. I used the same cable on my laptop and it reads 1.0Gbps link speed and speed running at full 150Mbps or more.

@Victor_TanTW

The cable is having contact issue. Recently when I changed to fiber from adsl plan, one pc had no problem with the connection while another had fluctuating connections ranging from zero (which alerted me to the problem), and then to 10Mbps and 100Mbps, when I tried reseating the sockets.

I manged to get back the 1Gbps speed after many tries. But in the end I decided to use a new cable.

Note: Even the crimped parts may lose its strength and contacts over time.
Thanks for the info. But like what I said in the above quote, I used the same cable to connect to my laptop and it has no issues at all.
Old 14-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. But like what I said in the above quote, I used the same cable to connect to my laptop and it has no issues at all.
I understood what you said in the first post regarding this point before my reply. For my case I used the same cable which worked sometimes and not sometimes. So the symptom is similar. You can't be sure until you have tested out with another, preferably a new cable.

Edit: PACE A5520N - all Giga ports.

Last edited by mrsun18; 14-10-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Old 14-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

I understood what you said in the first post regarding this point before my reply. For my case I used the same cable which worked sometimes and not sometimes. So the symptom is similar. You can't be sure until you have tested out with another, preferably a new cable.

Edit: PACE A5520N - all Giga ports.
I wish I could test with another cable.. But my desktop is in the room and all my networking equipment were in the living room. Need about 15 meter cable in between.. I do have another CAT6 Nexans cable but it's only 3 meter long..
Old 14-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

I wish I could test with another cable.. But my desktop is in the room and all my networking equipment were in the living room. Need about 15 meter cable in between.. I do have another CAT6 Nexans cable but it's only 3 meter long..
If u dun want to buy a cable first, then try to shift the desktop to the living room temporarily for testing.

*This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts.
Kiwi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

It all boils down to how much you want to do to solve a problem.

Once I bought a 10m cable just to test my smart tv wired connection, knowing that I will used it only once.

Now there is another alternative for you with the shorter cable.
Old 14-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #10

Hi all.

I'm currently facing this issue for my desktop.

My desktop is connected via CAT 6 LAN cable connection but it's showing me only 100Mbps speed. Initially I thought it could be the cable issue so I tried connecting it to my laptop with the same cable but it showed me 1.0Gbps speed. I connect it back to my desktop again and I tweak the settings of my on-board NIC (Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller)(latest driver updated by the way) to force it getting a 1.0Gbps full duplex link speed but it totally gives no signal or connection at all.

I put my NIC settings back to auto-negotiate option and went to buy a cheap Intel NIC (Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter) thinking that my on-board NIC could be faulty or outdated. After I slotted the new NIC in, downloaded and installed it's latest driver, it's still showing me 100Mbps which leaves me very clueless to what I should do next.

My broadband plan is Singtel fibre Express 150Mbps. If I connect my laptop with the LAN cable, I'm able to get the full 150Mbps to 169Mbps speed for it. But my desktop is getting only 70Mbps to 90Mbps for it cos of that issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! =)
Mine also having same problem as you...
On desktop ;
using Cat6 cable network : 100Mbps.
using Cat5E cable network : 1Gbps.
Old 14-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

On desktop ;
ooh... Mine is giving me 100Mbps no matter what.. But still, I will move my desktop out and test it out tmr.. And probably clear the dust too along the way haha..
Old 14-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #12

On desktop ;
Try with a different cat 6 cable as suggested here lor.
Old 16-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #13

Ok I done shifting out my desktop, dusting it and tried with the 3 meter Nexans LANmark CAT6 cable yesterday but it still showing me 100Mbps... Tried on my laptop as well and still got a 1.0Gbps like previously... Seems like my desktop is the only one that won't allow me to obtain a 1.0Gbps link speed...
Old 17-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am also in similar situation like you. Not totally the same tho.

My house has network point installed with Cat5E cables.

In my master room ... there are 2 network point, let's name them A (for my PC) and B (for my HTPC).

When I first setup the HTPC ... no matter what I do "B" can only connect at 100Mbps to my HTPC. But fortunately ... "A" can connect to my PC at 1Gbps.

Then until recently ... "B" suddenly can hit 1Gbps. But sometimes it drops back to 100Mbps.

I upgraded my PC recently and for some reason ... "A" when connect to any PC ... can only hit 100Mbps. Luckily I have many network cables ... from 5m to >20m ... so I connect directly from the router to my PC .. and YES .. it can hit 1Gbps.

So I tried connecting "B" to my PC and no luck .. still 100Mbps. When I connect the same cable to HTPC and it can connect at 1Gbps.

Therefore ... my conclusion can only be that something is wrong with my network point "A" (which is funny because it worked with my previous PC).
Old 17-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Interestingly .. when I open up the properties for the network card ... under "Speed & Duplex" ... there is no "1Gbps Full Duplex" option.

Even when I connect it directly to the router at 1Gbps ... there is still no option for that.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.