Dlink DIR 868L problem

ChinTuaKi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just went simlim to rma the router. put it where my singtel router was originally. i connected to wifi right in front of the router, on 2.4ghz i get around 50mbps, 5ghz get around 285mbps. but when im further away from the router, i am only getting like 20mbps on 2.4ghz, sometimes even lower.

really think this dlink 868l cmi. on carousell see so many people selling, $100 for brand new also have...

when u RMA, you just show receipt and the item?

did they do test or question this and that?

or no question asked?:)

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
when u RMA, you just show receipt and the item?

did they do test or question this and that?

or no question asked?:)

hi there, you have to call up dlink and tell them you want to rma. they will ask you to troubleshoot first. i told them i already troubleshooted myself, which is true, according to the steps they ask me do. then get the case id from them, then they will give you the address. it's this shop called fssocom at sim li. just exchange the 1 to 1 router.

the uncle tell me everyday got about like 2 or 3 people come and change :eek:

ChinTuaKi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi there, you have to call up dlink and tell them you want to rma. they will ask you to troubleshoot first. i told them i already troubleshooted myself, which is true, according to the steps they ask me do. then get the case id from them, then they will give you the address. it's this shop called fssocom at sim li. just exchange the 1 to 1 router.

the uncle tell me everyday got about like 2 or 3 people come and change :eek:

icic..jialat....did u tell them change already still the same...can ask for cash refund? or change to another model?

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
icic..jialat....did u tell them change already still the same...can ask for cash refund? or change to another model?

never tell. the 868l is starhub give free one.. somemore its the 'best dlink router on the market now'. which is a freaking lie. i dont blame starhub for the fibre; that works well. i blame them for giving such a bad router.

guys, i got a question.

i already placed my dir 868l at a more central and high location, but i'm still getting quite bad imtermittent connections on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.
since i can't profit much from selling the dir 868l, i was thinking of getting another router, probably the asus ac68u (or any good recommendations?), and then utilizing both for my house, because i live in a semi d, so there's 2 floors.

however, i am not sure what am i supposed to do.. use the ac68u as the connection to ont, and what about the dir 868l? is it bridge mode/access point or something? i just understand that an extender will half the speed, but that's not i want. i want to be able to have a much better signal throughout the house with 2 routers, without forgoing the speed. i've roughly read about it, but since i thought there was no need for it (until now), i didn't really focus much on it..

if someone could enlighten me on this, please

Last edited:

trueimage

Banned
Reaction score
never tell. the 868l is starhub give free one.. somemore its the 'best dlink router on the market now'. which is a freaking lie. i dont blame starhub for the fibre; that works well. i blame them for giving such a bad router.

guys, i got a question.

i already placed my dir 868l at a more central and high location, but i'm still getting quite bad imtermittent connections on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.
since i can't profit much from selling the dir 868l, i was thinking of getting another router, probably the asus ac68u (or any good recommendations?), and then utilizing both for my house, because i live in a semi d, so there's 2 floors.

however, i am not sure what am i supposed to do.. use the ac68u as the connection to ont, and what about the dir 868l? is it bridge mode/access point or something? i just understand that an extender will half the speed, but that's not i want. i want to be able to have a much better signal throughout the house with 2 routers, without forgoing the speed. i've roughly read about it, but since i thought there was no need for it (until now), i didn't really focus much on it..

if someone could enlighten me on this, please

There r basically 3 main ways to connect 2 routers: Access Point, Wireless Bridge n Wireless Extender. The choices open to u will depend on yr set-up.

Do u hv a patch panel and data points in each room? If so, Access Point mode is best. U can also use electrical points but i believe these r not so reliable.

If wired connection bet the 2 routers is not possible, u will need to use Wireless Bridge or Wireless Extender mode - the difference is that Wireless Bridge only gives u wired access. For Wireless Extender mode, u have both wired n wireless access. Bandwidth is only halved for devices connecting wirelessly

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm, what is patch panel and data points? i don't think i have those.. i think it is possible for me to connect the 2 routers via lan cable.

i guess the only way for me is for wireless extender, since the main issue is wifi.. what about repeater? what's that about?

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi iirc wireless extender.. the speed will drop..

if don't want speed to drop.

iirc is do a wired connection between both routers and set the second one as a access point.

this way yr speed will not drop and u got better coverage at the same time

Edited : powerline don't fit yr requirements

Last edited:

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hi iirc wireless extender.. the speed will drop..

if don't want speed to drop.

iirc is do a wired connection between both routers and set the second one as a access point.

this way yr speed will not drop and u got better coverage at the same time

Edited : powerline don't fit yr requirements

hmmm okay. so basically i have to plug the 2nd router to a power point, then use a wired connection from the 1st to 2nd router, and configure the 2nd router as an access point?

trueimage

Banned
Reaction score
hmm, what is patch panel and data points? i don't think i have those.. i think it is possible for me to connect the 2 routers via lan cable.

i guess the only way for me is for wireless extender, since the main issue is wifi.. what about repeater? what's that about?

In newer apartments, there are already network cables running to all the rooms. They end up in a "patch panel" which is just a cabinet box normally located near the entrance. Each network cable ends up in a data point or ethernet port in the rooms. I guess yr place dont have them so it's not relevant. If u want to know what a patch panel looks like, u can go to this link:

http://www.patnotebook.com/bto-networking-singapore/

As for using 2 routers it depends on what u r trying to achieve. If there are no blind spots but u r just unhappy with the wifi performance of the 868, u can just replace it with a more powerful router. But if there are some areas that are not receiving wifi, then u can consider getting a 2nd router and setting it up as an Access Point ("AP").

To set up the AP on the 2nd router, this is what u need to do:-

- connect the new router (ant LAN port) to a desktop/laptop using cable

- start a browser and go into the Settings page of yr AP router and make sure that the LAN IP address is in the same network as yr 868. For eg if yr 868 is 192.168.0.1 then make sure yr AP router is 192.168.0.x where x is between 2 to 255

- look for the DHCP settings page and DISABLE DHCP on the AP router

- set yr SSIDs and passwords for yr AP wireless bands

- connect an ethernet cable from any of the LAN ports on the 868 to any of the LAN ports on the AP router.

That's all!

Yr devices will now be able to connect to the new wifi networks from yr AP router. If u do not need the wifi networks on yr 868 router, u can turn them off. If u leave them on, make sure u select different channels for both routers to avoid conflict

Aside from AP mode, u can also connect the 2nd router as a Wireless Bridge or as a Wireless Repeater. For these 2 modes, u dont need to run a cable from the 868 to the 2nd router - the 2nd router will link up wirelessly. Of course, the connection will not be as good as the AP method which is wired.

For Wireless Bridge, the 2nd router is effectively acting just like a USB adapter. It receives the inward data and passes them onto devices that are connected to it using cables. There is no wifi from the e2nd router.

For Wireless Repeater, the difference is, there IS wifi but bandwidth is halved for wireless clients.

Hope the above is clear enough

Last edited:

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm okay. so basically i have to plug the 2nd router to a power point, then use a wired connection from the 1st to 2nd router, and configure the 2nd router as an access point?

yes in short. :s12:

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
In newer apartments, there are already network cables running to all the rooms. They end up in a "patch panel" which is just a cabinet box normally located near the entrance. Each network cable ends up in a data point or ethernet port in the rooms. I guess yr place dont have them so it's not relevant. If u want to know what a patch panel looks like, u can go to this link:

http://www.patnotebook.com/bto-networking-singapore/

As for using 2 routers it depends on what u r trying to achieve. If there are no blind spots but u r just unhappy with the wifi performance of the 868, u can just replace it with a more powerful router. But if there are some areas that are not receiving wifi, then u can consider getting a 2nd router and setting it up as an Access Point ("AP").

To set up the AP on the 2nd router, this is what u need to do:-

- connect the new router (ant LAN port) to a desktop/laptop using cable

- start a browser and go into the Settings page of yr AP router and make sure that the LAN IP address is in the same network as yr 868. For eg if yr 868 is 192.168.0.1 then make sure yr AP router is 192.168.0.x where x is between 2 to 255

- look for the DHCP settings page and DISABLE DHCP on the AP router

- set yr SSIDs and passwords for yr AP wireless bands

- connect an ethernet cable from any of the LAN ports on the 868 to any of the LAN ports on the AP router.

That's all!

Yr devices will now be able to connect to the new wifi networks from yr AP router. If u do not need the wifi networks on yr 868 router, u can turn them off. If u leave them on, make sure u select different channels for both routers to avoid conflict

Aside from AP mode, u can also connect the 2nd router as a Wireless Bridge or as a Wireless Repeater. For these 2 modes, u dont need to run a cable from the 868 to the 2nd router - the 2nd router will link up wirelessly. Of course, the connection will not be as good as the AP method which is wired.

For Wireless Bridge, the 2nd router is effectively acting just like a USB adapter. It receives the inward data and passes them onto devices that are connected to it using cables. There is no wifi from the e2nd router.

For Wireless Repeater, the difference is, there IS wifi but bandwidth is halved for wireless clients.

Hope the above is clear enough

wow.. thank you for the much detailed reply! yup, it's pretty clear to me now!

i found an old asus n10u lying around.. currently trying out using it as a repeater. would just like like to check something regarding the halved bandwidth.. i am on the 500mbps fibre band, by halved bandwidth, does it mean that the router can only transmit up to 250mbps of wireless connection? which i think is sufficient enough for wireless right? and oh, will wired connection get halved bandwidth too?

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

i found an old asus n10u lying around.. currently trying out using it as a repeater. would just like like to check something regarding the halved bandwidth.. i am on the 500mbps fibre band, by halved bandwidth, does it mean that the router can only transmit up to 250mbps of wireless connection? which i think is sufficient enough for wireless right? and oh, will wired connection get halved bandwidth too?
Not half of 500mbps lah. Half of the maximum wireless bandwidth. U using Wireless N or Wireless AC?

trueimage

Banned
Reaction score

Cant argue with "Up to" 250. In reality, depending on where u place yr router, it will be much less. Whatever the figure, wireless clients will have half the bandwidth of wired clients. This is bec there is only 1 path for sending n receiving for wireless unlike for wired where there r dedicated paths. If u only hv wired clients, then it is similar to a wireless bridge

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Cant argue with "Up to" 250. In reality, depending on where u place yr router, it will be much less. Whatever the figure, wireless clients will have half the bandwidth of wired clients. This is bec there is only 1 path for sending n receiving for wireless unlike for wired where there r dedicated paths. If u only hv wired clients, then it is similar to a wireless bridge

No.... the 500mbps refers to the wired connection. Gigabit ports offer up to 1000mbps, so they are the only interface that can support the 500mbps WAN connection.

No wireless standards come close to the 500mbps connection as yet, when actual throughput is considered.

trueimage

Banned
Reaction score
No.... the 500mbps refers to the wired connection. Gigabit ports offer up to 1000mbps, so they are the only interface that can support the 500mbps WAN connection.

No wireless standards come close to the 500mbps connection as yet, when actual throughput is considered.

Yeah, i meant, "up to" can mean anything from 0 to 500mbps!

The 868l has gigabit ports so it can support the 500mbps. However, the bottleneck will be the Asus n10u which can only support 150mbps max through wireless even before halving. The LAN ports are also not gigabit so they max out at 100mbps

Last edited:

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the "half bandwidth" part is based on yr asus.. if u intend to use it.

so its a n router 150mbps.. so probably half of that which is 75... plus minus etc.

wired will not be affected.. only wireless. but i see the spec.. yr wan port and lan port is only 100mbps..

Last edited:

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
ahh okay.. for the asus n10u, it's just N i think. so what happens if i decide to connect to the first router instead? assuming i can reach both the repeater and the router from a particular same spot. will only the asus n10u provide halved bandwidth? or as long as a repeater is connected, even connecting wirelessly via the main router will halve it too?

sorry guys! i am not very knowledgeable in this aspect.. haha

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
Somebody sold a bnib set for $50 just last week! If i didnt already have 8 routers, i would have been really tempted!

Woah really? would n56 be more than enough for my needs? let's assume that i intend to just replace the 868l to n56, without using it as an extender. would it be able to perform better? or would the ac68u be a wiser choice?

hmm.. maybe since it's just n56, using it as a repeater would be better.. right?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.