Ethernet for 2 computers in a room

Jargon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to connect 2 computers in my room via Ethernet, but only have 1 wired access point in the room. I did a bit of reading up, and it seems like I would need a switch to do that.

Do y'all have recommendations for which switch to get, and would switches affect the connection speed (upload/download)?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well u can get unmanageable switch den, look at those stated gigabit connections. and as for the number of ports, if u think next time u wont need to use that many can buy a 5/6 ports. if u will den get a 8~10 ports.

well u can try looking into tplink for their switch.

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
Another way is to split the wires. Actually 4 wires is enough to run Ethernet. You can actually create a two connection from the 8wires in your cable. But by doing this it will limit your speed to 100Mbs max.

split_cable.gif

fleas1

Reaction score
Just get a unmanaged gigabit switch. the smallest is a 5-port. You will use 3 port out of the 5 port.

It requires a power socket btw. It's good because you can add an access point for more wireless coverage in that room since you have 2 more ports to use.

There's 2 types of unmanaged switch; 10/100mbps and gigabit.
gigabit = 1000mbps

reason: fibre plan usually more than 100mbps. don't bottleneck yourself

jace88

Reaction score
Or if Op ever thinks they might need wifi in the room (or want to have an access point there), why not just get a standard 4-port wireless router.

I personally went the 8 port gigabit switch option for my home entertainment setup since it wasn't too far away from my two existing wireless access points.

fleas1

Reaction score
that is a good point provided TS needs WiFi in the room because an access point(usually routers will have ports only) w/ gigabit port costs a lot more than a gigabit unmanaged switch.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.