Help Needed for Router Configuration Settings in NTU Hall

ongtianhua

Reaction score
Hi all,

I guess I will need advanced help on this issue.

I'm currently facing problems installing routers in my Hall in NTU. More specifically - installing my friends' routers. I've hit the same problem twice, and I'm out of ideas on what other configuration settings I can change and hence I'm asking for assistance here.

Basically the problem with the two very different routers are the same. I plug in the LAN cable, configure the router, found that I couldn't connect, connect the LAN cable directly to my laptop, found that the network port is disabled.

These are the settings that I usually use:
1. Use Dynamic IP (DHCP)
2. Primary DNS: 155.69.3.9
3. Secondary DNS: 155.69.3.8
4. Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
5. Default Gateway: 172.20.107.254

I would be grateful to anyone with technical knowledge or experience in this issue to help me narrow down or pinpoint the problem I'm facing. Thank you in advanced.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should post this at Internet Bandwidth & Networking clinic.

bornerwave

Master Member
Reaction score
I assume you are trying to blast out wifi in your hostel room?

If so, your router is acting as an access point.

May I know if you plugged in your ethernet cable to the WAN port or any of the 4x LAN port of your router? And what router are you using?

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I guess I will need advanced help on this issue.

I'm currently facing problems installing routers in my Hall in NTU. More specifically - installing my friends' routers. I've hit the same problem twice, and I'm out of ideas on what other configuration settings I can change and hence I'm asking for assistance here.

Basically the problem with the two very different routers are the same. I plug in the LAN cable, configure the router, found that I couldn't connect, connect the LAN cable directly to my laptop, found that the network port is disabled.

These are the settings that I usually use:
1. Use Dynamic IP (DHCP)
2. Primary DNS: 155.69.3.9
3. Secondary DNS: 155.69.3.8
4. Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
5. Default Gateway: 172.20.107.254

I would be grateful to anyone with technical knowledge or experience in this issue to help me narrow down or pinpoint the problem I'm facing. Thank you in advanced.

Please refer to the school guideline regarding the installation of router, it wasn't allowed as far as I know without prior approval.

Having said that, benefit of doubts given thus thread remains open and moved to IBNC.

ongtianhua

Reaction score
I assume you are trying to blast out wifi in your hostel room?

If so, your router is acting as an access point.

May I know if you plugged in your ethernet cable to the WAN port or any of the 4x LAN port of your router? And what router are you using?

Yes you are right - I'm trying to create a WiFi access point in my room. The ethernet cable is connected from the wall port to the WAN port of the router, not any of the 4 x LAN ports. The brands of the routers are D-Link and TP-Link, exact model can't remember.

Please refer to the school guideline regarding the installation of router, it wasn't allowed as far as I know without prior approval.

The Centre of IT Services (CITS) website mentioned that installation of routers are allowed in accommodation quarters if the school WiFi cannot be detected. Other than that, routers are not allowed.

I suppose TS has read the NTU guidelines:

Particularly the item on "Router mode".

Yes I have read this page, but I can't find anything in the configuration settings that look like "route", "NAT", or "bridge".

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I have read this page, but I can't find anything in the configuration settings that look like "route", "NAT", or "bridge".
First you need to confirm whether the hostel room LAN port is still enabled (you may have caused it to be disabled by connecting it to your router's LAN port).
You can check that by plugging your laptop directly to the hostel room LAN port to be sure you can get an IP. If you can't get an IP, the port might be disabled (have to contact your campus network admin).

If you can get an IP with your laptop, then disconnect your laptop, and connect the LAN cable from the hostel room to the WAN port of your router (make sure it's in router mode (usually that's the default)). If you can't find the setting, reset the router to the factory default settings. Connect your laptop to one of the router's LAN ports using LAN cable and login to the admin page to check whether it managed to get a WAN IP.

ongtianhua

Reaction score
First you need to confirm whether the hostel room LAN port is still enabled (you may have caused it to be disabled by connecting it to your router's LAN port).
You can check that by plugging your laptop directly to the hostel room LAN port to be sure you can get an IP. If you can't get an IP, the port might be disabled (have to contact your campus network admin).

I've checked that the port is working before I connect it to the router by plugging it directly into my laptop from the wall port and accessing different websites. The port is usually disabled after I connect my router to it - meaning that a misconfiguration in the router settings may have caused it.

If you can get an IP with your laptop, then disconnect your laptop, and connect the LAN cable from the hostel room to the WAN port of your router (make sure it's in router mode (usually that's the default)). If you can't find the setting, reset the router to the factory default settings. Connect your laptop to one of the router's LAN ports using LAN cable and login to the admin page to check whether it managed to get a WAN IP.

I've resetted the router countless times, all with the same end result.

bornerwave

Master Member
Reaction score
I've checked that the port is working before I connect it to the router by plugging it directly into my laptop from the wall port and accessing different websites. The port is usually disabled after I connect my router to it - meaning that a misconfiguration in the router settings may have caused it.

since you have checked that the ethernet port on your hostel's wall is working.

Now factory reset your router again, connect the ethernet cable from the wall port to any of the 4 ports of your Router's LAN port not WAN port.

See if it works, you are not supposed to be connecting it to the WAN port.

If it works then leave it as it is. If it still doesnt work, see if you can change the mode to AP mode and see it if works.

image011(1).png

Make sure your DHCP is not working on your router, you can try disabling it. Use the DHCP Server from the school.

Last edited:

Dogman1995

Reaction score
I am currently having a similar problem as OP. I have gone through all the steps and currently have no WIFI Set up.

Whenever i connect my Ethernet cable to the WAN Port, the Internet symbol on my HG256s will be red. When i connect the Ethernet cable to the LAN Ports, i am only able to use another cable for my laptop to connect to the router (which works) but wifi is still down. Any advice?

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am currently having a similar problem as OP. I have gone through all the steps and currently have no WIFI Set up.

Whenever i connect my Ethernet cable to the WAN Port, the Internet symbol on my HG256s will be red. When i connect the Ethernet cable to the LAN Ports, i am only able to use another cable for my laptop to connect to the router (which works) but wifi is still down. Any advice?
This HG256s is from the old days when StarHub used vlan for the Internet. You can't use it any where else. Use an off the shelf router instead.

Sent from Grace revolution using GAGT

jury_pack

Master Member
Reaction score

Since you said the network port is disabled after the router was plugged in, the back end switches already detected you tried plugging a router, that's why it's disabled. You have to contact your school network admin to have it enabled back.

And btw, to create ap, is suppose to connect the lan to the lan ports, not to the wan port.
The correct steps are as follows.
1) plugin you laptop and get the IP configuration.
Eg. IP: 172.0.0.199
Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
Router gateway: 172.0.2.254
Dns: 8.8.8.8
2) configure your router usig your laptop without any connection to the school network first with the following example IP.
Ip 172.0.1.250
Subnet: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 172.0.2.254.
Then after that you connect the school lan port to any of the router lan port.
The router should work as an ap.

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since you said the network port is disabled after the router was plugged in, the back end switches already detected you tried plugging a router, that's why it's disabled. You have to contact your school network admin to have it enabled back.

And btw, to create ap, is suppose to connect the lan to the lan ports, not to the wan port.
The correct steps are as follows.
1) plugin you laptop and get the IP configuration.
Eg. IP: 172.0.0.199
Subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
Router gateway: 172.0.2.254
Dns: 8.8.8.8
2) configure your router usig your laptop without any connection to the school network first with the following example IP.
Ip 172.0.1.250
Subnet: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 172.0.2.254.
Then after that you connect the school lan port to any of the router lan port.
The router should work as an ap.

Pls do not setup AP in the hostel.
It is against the NTU rules.

Router Mode

Ensure router is set to route or NAT mode as shown below. Do NOT turn on bridge mode or AP mode, this can cause the network port to shut down.

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/cits/itnetwor...ss-router-for-hostel-and-staff-apartment.aspx

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No need router. use a spare laptop connected with cable and use virtual router wifi will work in NTU.

Then set SSID as "ongtianhua iPhone ♥"

If that doesnt work, instead of using cable, use wifi and connect to NTU secure.

username will be student\your matric number
password is your ntu student link password

Then use virtual router wifi to set up hotspot
Then set SSID as "ongtianhua iPhone ♥"

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.