HELP: Setup and Router Recommendations for 4 Room Setup

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
cool, thanks.

was reading about UNIFY APs, so far most attractive looking. Seems they talk a lot about the zero handoff.

I wanna get this all sorted at renovation stage. haha. so do some homework now

i think the zero handoff thing is device dependent as well.
e.g. your phone or laptop must be able to do that

someone correct me if i am wrong tho.

JustDoLor

Reaction score
Does anyone know did Asus remove power adjustment? I check Advanced > Wireless > Professional tab, there is no Tx power Adjustment option. Both my RT-N12 and RT-AC1200G+ is missing this option. Or is it only available on higher end model?

To help your devices to switch, you will need to tweak the transmit power of your APs so that they are not too strong or not too weak (there should be a small area of overlap).

wainism

Reaction score
I just found out that newer flats have phone points that are wired to become LAN points as well. Since, I dont really use land line phones anymore, what will be the best way to connect these points to the internet?

Objective:
1. To have LAN points (in 3 bedrooms and 1 living room) wired to the internet
2. To have no wifi blind spots in the house (concern will be in the bed rooms)

Current thinking:
1. ONT >> Modem >> Network Switch >> a) All LAN points, b) 2 Unifi APs (one in living room, one in back of house near bed rooms)

or

2. ONT >> Modem >> 8 port wifi router (expensive?) >> a) All LAN points, b) 1 Unifi APs (one in back of house near bed rooms)
- in this set up, there will be two wifi networks, one from router, one from APs. Although i understand i can set up the same wifi network name for both)

*sorry, still bit confused about the use of a network switch vs a wifi router

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just found out that newer flats have phone points that are wired to become LAN points as well. Since, I dont really use land line phones anymore, what will be the best way to connect these points to the internet?

Objective:
1. To have LAN points (in 3 bedrooms and 1 living room) wired to the internet
2. To have no wifi blind spots in the house (concern will be in the bed rooms)

Current thinking:
1. ONT >> Modem >> Network Switch >> a) All LAN points, b) 2 Unifi APs (one in living room, one in back of house near bed rooms)

or

2. ONT >> Modem >> 8 port wifi router (expensive?) >> a) All LAN points, b) 1 Unifi APs (one in back of house near bed rooms)
- in this set up, there will be two wifi networks, one from router, one from APs. Although i understand i can set up the same wifi network name for both)

*sorry, still bit confused about the use of a network switch vs a wifi router

I think you are a bit confused between router and a modem. In terms of fibre network, ONT is technically the "modem".

Basic setup is : ONT > Router > Switch/AP

orangina

Reaction score
so many using unifi. you know its quite a hassle to setup the software controller. haha i've done it for couple of clients and i swear without the Cloud key, or hosting the controller on the cloud. its extremely a hassle.

wainism

Reaction score
so many using unifi. you know its quite a hassle to setup the software controller. haha i've done it for couple of clients and i swear without the Cloud key, or hosting the controller on the cloud. its extremely a hassle.

hmmmm, let me research how to do that. or i can engage you?

how do you charge for a hdb flat?

Hl3599

Reaction score
I have wired 4 Lan point to my 4 bedroom. The question I want to ask if I want each room have wireless connection can I have each room have 1 router?

moron+genius

Reaction score
I have wired 4 Lan point to my 4 bedroom. The question I want to ask if I want each room have wireless connection can I have each room have 1 router?
Technically u can, but its overkill. Too many routers will interfere with each other especially their channels r no set properly with too much overlapping. U can have 1 router in living room which shld be able 2 cover nearest 1~2 bedrooms n AP in furtherest room 2 cover remaining bedrooms. Add only where required. Too many wifi in close proximity does not work well.

Hl3599

Reaction score
Tks for your advice. BTW any where I can learn how to set the correct channel.

Technically u can, but its overkill. Too many routers will interfere with each other especially their channels r no set properly with too much overlapping. U can have 1 router in living room which shld be able 2 cover nearest 1~2 bedrooms n AP in furtherest room 2 cover remaining bedrooms. Add only where required. Too many wifi in close proximity does not work well.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no fixed channel to use but you can attempt to scan for the cleanest channel and fix it if you're confident. What's clean at this moment will be congested the next moment.

So it takes a while to understand your neighbours' habit if u wanna determine the best channel to use..

Ideally, you may attempt to scan for better channels once you detected a degraded WiFi performance, otherwise just leave it running as long as it could..

Tks for your advice. BTW any where I can learn how to set the correct channel.

WheelThatFails

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also living in a 5rm BTO

i convert all my wall scoket phone jack to RJ45 keystone
behind the phone jack is a cat 5e LAN cable
just change it to this

800px-Keystone_module_CAT5_orange.jpg

got to have proper tool for this fix up

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.