Home Networking Advice

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on home networking,especially on gigabit switch.

I’m on Singtel 1 Gbps and the set up is in my living room. In addition, I will have the 1st Singtel mesh connected.

I have a LAN cable from this setup going into my study room, where I have my desktop PC, laptop and NAS.

I’m planning to get a 8/10 port gigabit switch and need some advice on the connection.

The existing LAN cable from the Singtel setup in the living room, will go into Port 1.
Port 2 -> LAN to desktop PC
Port 3 -> LAN to laptop
Port 4 and 5 -> LAN to NAS with link aggregation.
Port 6 -> Printer
Port 7 -> 2nd Singtel mesh for wireless connection to my mobile devices.

Other than Port 7 which I come to it later on, is the above switch set up (port 1 to 6) feasible?

Coming to Port 7: I am aware that the Singtel mesh works primarily on wireless. At the same time, I read that the current Singtel mesh can also be connected via LAN to extend the wifi. Please enlighten me on this part.

Lastly, any suggestion for a 8/10 ports gigabit switch that is capable of the above setup, especially with link aggregation for NAS?

Appreciates your advice.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
U might need 2 set vlan in the switch 4 Singtel mesh . U shld read up Singtel threads on it.

Yes, catching up on the Singtel Mesh thread.

Any other suggestions for switch?

Is the Link aggregation supports out of the box, so I can get any brands/model?

moron+genius

Reaction score
Yes, catching up on the Singtel Mesh thread.

Any other suggestions for switch?

Is the Link aggregation supports out of the box, so I can get any brands/model?
Look for managed/smart switch for link aggregation & vlan function, any brand/model will do tat suits ur budget. I choose TP-Link sg2008 coz I prefer ports at the back so tat wiring is neater n metal casing for better heat dissipation.. at least tats wat I hope..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.