HOW TO: set wireless channel on Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) with terminal (ssh)

vladimir777

Reaction score
How to set optimal wireless channel on Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) (or any Broadcom based wifi router) with ssh terminal in order to increase wifi speed.

Being fed up with bad wifi speed of Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) and Singtel unable to help, I bought Asus RT-AC66U as primary router and set Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) as additional wifi access point (by put 7003 in bridge mode). But notices that wifi speed is not that good. Cross checking wifi on Asus RT-AC66U I found that automatic channel selection doesn’t work great. Basically automatic wifi channel selection only saves from huge interference case, but it doesn’t choose the best channel (BTW the same on ASUS). Choosing proper wifi channel manually let increase wifi speed for free. The only problem is that Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) has no user interface at all to see what wifi channels are received at AP. So below the instruction how to do it with ssh terminal. The command should also work on other Broadcom based wifi router, I checked that it works on Asus RT-AC66U.

1. Enable SSH on Aztech FG7003GRV(AC)

http://192.168.1.254/singtel
user: admin
password: H3ll0t3ch

Acccess Control -> Services

SSH - check Enable

Save/Apply

2. Login ssh (use PuTTY on Windows, Terminal on Mac) to 192.168.1.254 the same user and password

2.1 Scan wireless networks

for 2.4G:

Code:
wl -i wl0 scan && sleep 10 && wl -i wl0 scanresults

for 5G:

Code:
wl -i wl1 scan && sleep 10 && wl -i wl1 scanresults

Basically wl0 and wl1 is the name of the wifi interface and it could be different on different modems, but except interface name the same command works on Asus as well ("wl" command is for all Broadcom wifi chips).

3. Look at results and find channel that not used at all.
Set the channel at http://192.168.1.254 Quick Setup -> Wireless and choose Channnel.

I’ve got about 20% speed increase. Your milage may vary.

4. Bonus. To see all your connected wifi clients with their signal level

for 5G:

Code:
for a in $(wl -i wl1 assoclist | sed 's/assoclist//');do echo "$(wl -i wl1 sta_info $a)\n\tRSSI=$(wl -i wl1 rssi $a);";done;echo

See wiki for RSSI - Received signal strength indication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - it is a very good indication of wifi signal strength and so speed.

P.S. I’m a geek. I got ill and had nothing to do.

Best Regards,
Vlad

Last edited:

achui

Reaction score
Good work there... Hope you don't fall sick too often though...

Alternatively, if you have an android phone, install the Wifi Analyzer. It will tell you all the wifi signals/channels... I used this for my home wifi site survey, configuring my wifi on the least congested channels..tuning the power so that i can have more optimal roaming between my APs

thiamhui

Reaction score
Most routers have auto channel nowadays, kind of hard to get a good fixed channel with minimum interference.

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use WiFi analyzer, and inSSIDer on Windows. It's a pretty good software

Sent from GAGT Android App

WWE_Fan

Reaction score
Dlink DIR 880L for $288 with free DAP-1520 and DWA-182. Offer ends 31 Dec. Good to grab? I want to set up guest network.

Am currently using Aztech 7003

plrahul

Reaction score
H3ll0t3ch

this password doesnt work for me ....
Please are there any new passwords
i hv FG7003GRV

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.