HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to: Setting up M1 Cable broadband SB5101 modem with TP-Link TL-WR841N wifi router

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Lightbulb How to: Setting up M1 Cable broadband SB5101 modem with TP-Link TL-WR841N wifi router

Problem:
So you've got M1 Cable Broadband modem directly connected fine to one laptop, you're able to surf net. But you really want the flexibility of local connection without wires and have multiple laptops and devices sharing the broadband connection as well. So you went out and bought a wifi router, and wonders what to do next to hook it all up. There wasn’t a clear guide on the net, so I spent hours doing trial and error. It’s not that difficult but a guide like this would save a lot of time hopefully.

Preface :
Cable modem : Motorola SB5101 Cable modem provided by M1, for my 10Mbps broadband.
TP Link Wifi Router : TL-WR841N (This could be any reasonable wifi router out there, that allows MAC address clone.)
Macbook 1 : Macbook pro on Snow Leopard (for setting up. This can be any laptop or Windows, my test happens to be Macbook). Set to Dynamic IP.
Macbook 2 : Macbook pro on Lion ( Extra laptop just to test and demonstrate the wifi router could serve more than 1 client . This can be any laptop or Windows, my test happens to be Macbook). Set to Dynamic IP.

Approach :
Wifi router to obtain WAN from cable modem, so that multiple client laptops can surf internet via Wifi from Wifi router. The main jist is to trick the cable modem thinking the wifi router is the laptop that logged in to M1’s broadband user/pass validation.

Precise steps :
1. Preparation: Cable modem’s power disconnected, TP Link wifi router’s power disconnected, no cat5 cables connected to anything.

2. Turn on Macbook 1, goto Network Utility to obtain MAC address of Ethernet card. Please note the MAC address of Ethernet card , not Wifi card.

3. Turn on TP Link wifi router

4. Turn on Macbook 1’s WiFi card, make sure Macbook 1’s Ethernet card has no cable connected now.

5. Open up a web browser on Macbook 1’s, point to default web based admin page of TP Link wifi router , 192.168.1.1 , username is “admin” , password is “admin” .

6. Within web based admin page go to “Network” - “WAN” from the left pane. Make sure WAN connection type is “Dynamic IP”. Click Save button.

7. Goto “Network” - “MAC Clone” from left pane. Under WAN MAC address enter the MAC address of Macbook 1’s Ethernet card. Click Save button

8. Reboot TP Link wifi router. At this point the TP Link wifi router would be logically carrying the MAC Address of Macbook 1’s Ethernet card.

9. Power off TP Link wifi router

10. Turn on cable modem , wait for ready state

11. Plug in cat5 cable between cable modem’s WAN port and macbook 1’s Ethernet card

12. Point browser to broadband.mobileone.net.sg/login/ (please type https:// infront of the url)

13. Enter username and password provided by M1 (was available from a piece of print out during registration, you’ve signed on it), ensure page tells you that you have logged in successfully. Test by browsing to your favourite internet websites like google.com

14. (At this point M1 would have assigned a 119.x.x.x ip address pairing to the MAC Address of Macbook 1’s Ethernet card)

15. Start up TP Link wifi router, wait for light on the Wifi LED indicator on the router to be turned on.

16. Quickly unplug the cat5 cable from the Macbook 1’s Ethernet card , plug that into the TP Link wifi router’s WAN port. This will fool the cable modem thinking that it’s still connected to Macbook 1 due to Macbook 1 and TP Link having same MAC address (you’ve cloned that in step 7 above).

17. You would see a M1 IP range being assigned to the Wifi router some time soon, by looking at the page after clicking on “Network” - “WAN” from the left pane of the wifi router’s web admin module.

18. Restart browser. Load your favourite website like google.com

19. Macbook 1 should now be able to browse internet via wifi from TP Link wifi router’s network.

20. Turn on Macbook 2, and turn on WiFi card, join TP Link’s wifi network and browse internet normally.

21. You may proceed to set up more security measures on wifi router like WPA PSK TKIP, do not broadcast SSID , define an exclusive list of allowable MAC address ,etc. Restart Wifi router to take effect of these security changes.

Last edited by skykisser; 20-03-2012 at 12:11 PM..
skykisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

i have a qn, hope to have your answer.

If i am not a person that leave the power on overnight - meaning i shut down all the power (router, modem, desktop) after i finish using my desktop. means that i have to redo "step 10 to step 18" ?
Disclaimer : I hold no responsibility for the above mentioned comments, all poster and readers of the above mentioned post will not claim any liabilty or responsibility of any sort from me. I will not be hold responsibilty for any of your whateverso action after reading my post, be it an act of god or common sense.
BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #3

i suspect so ...

but i guess the only way is to try it out , this weekend
skykisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

You don't have to.
Apple users never fail to surprise me.
Modem set to PPPoE
Router Set to DHCP
LAN Set to DHCP
Done.

Last edited by ArcticCheetah; 22-03-2012 at 02:45 PM..
ArcticCheetah is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.