HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Internet Connectivity Issue - Samsung Smart TV

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #1

Internet Connectivity Issue - Samsung Smart TV

All my home networked desktops (Windows7), laptop (Vista) and netbook (XP Home) lost internet connections on 17 Oct 2011, which I found out later on, was a day when Singnet, my broadband ISP carried out network maintenance.

Internet connectivity was re-established when Singnet Call Centre help me to set the LAN settings of all desktops, laptop and netbook to Singnet's proxy server. (Note: a few months ago I had to set DNS server to Singnet's DNS Server when same problem occurred)

However, even after two visits from Samsung's Technical Officers, my Smart TV bought two months ago still could not access the internet for sites such as Youtube using my home network (It could connect to home network either wired or wireless). At the second visit, the Technical Officer demonstrated to me that the set was able to connect to internet using his 3G modem. For the second visit, I was made to pay $30 for "cant connect to internet still insist for tech to visit/NDF $30", as recorded in the Service Order.

Both Singnet and Samsung insisted there was no issue at their end. Yet my Smart TV (may be not so smart after all) was and still is unable to connect to internet with my home network.

I have narrowed down the problem to the need for the device to point to Singnet's Proxy Server, but this cannot be done for the TV as there is no such feature.

I have thought of using ICS, but this cannot be done on the TV.

Pending the resolution of my dispute with Singnet and Samsung, has any one got a workround or suggestion? Thanks for reading.

Below are some details of the TV set for network settings:
MAC Address (no issue)
IP Address 192.168.1.x (no issue)
Subnet Mask (no issue)
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (no issue)
DNS Server 192.168.1.1 (tried using Singnet's DNS 165.21.83.88 and 165.21.100.88, all didn't work)

Last edited by mrsun18; 24-11-2011 at 09:22 PM..
mrsun18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

Under normal circumstances, you do not need to enter any proxy for SingNet.

To enter manually DNS is really stupid. Such issue are usually infrastructure issues and you should readlly get SingNet to send someone down.

All this DNS thingy should be automatic.

FYI :
I have help my neighbour to setup her Samsung SMART TV, it is just as easy as hook up the lan cable and that's it. It ready to surf. Coincidentally she is also a SingNet user and just 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by tungsten2; 24-11-2011 at 07:10 AM..
tungsten2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Only youtube?
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Under normal circumstances, you do not need to enter any proxy for SingNet.

To enter manually DNS is really stupid. Such issue are usually infrastructure issues and you should readlly get SingNet to send someone down.

All this DNS thingy should be automatic.

FYI :
I have help my neighbour to setup her Samsung SMART TV, it is just as easy as hook up the lan cable and that's it. It ready to surf. Coincidentally she is also a SingNet user and just 2 weeks ago.
Thank you for responding. Agreed under normal circumstances all these are unnecessary. I have been Singnet customer for many years. I didn't need to use these settings until recently, ie no DNS setting, no Proxy setting.

FYI I set up the wireless connection for the TV myself, the installer who delivered couldn't get the connection. I told him I would settle it myself, and I did it after he left. At that point of time I used the automatic way and abc, and I watched my own channel in Youtube, the use of the remote to navigate is a pain though.

As I mentioned, problem only started on 17 Oct. I have consulted D-Link, my ADSL modem maker, the lady who took the call was just as puzzled why proxy server was required.

From what I gathered, it seemed that proxy server setting is not uniformly applied to all customers. ISP may be keeping mum about the reasons for it.

Will you please clarify the "infrastruture issues". If what you meant were telephone wire, sockets and microfilter, these have been checked and ruled out.

Regards
Old 24-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Only youtube?
New broom sweeps clean. Just to test out the TV set. I prefer to use my desktop with a 22" monitor. Faster response and "smarter".
Old 01-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Hi all

A quick summary of my problem - cannot connect to internet on the Samsung Smart TV. Actually I don't really use the Smart function. I am treating this as a technical challenge.

After trying various methods previously, Singnet suggested port forwarding. D-Link provided the instructions. In the end I tried DMZ because this was the simplest to do. Not successful.

Although I said no internet connectivity, there was updating of services, after which a new service "Google Talk" was installed. This showed there was limited connectivity.

I need to find a way to direct the traffic from the TV to ISP's proxy server. Is there a wireless router or ADSL modem/wireless router where I can specify proxy server setting to ISP's? I am currently using D-Link DSL 2640B. Thanks for any suggestion.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Master Member

This recent thread seems very relevant to your case:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3447561

The solution in that thread was to switch to another ADSL router...??

Btw, I assume you have tried restarting your ADSL router right? Probably lots of times...

Maybe should check to see if there are any firmware upgrades for the model that you are using.
kun1he2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

This recent thread seems very relevant to your case:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3447561

The solution in that thread was to switch to another ADSL router...??

Btw, I assume you have tried restarting your ADSL router right? Probably lots of times...

Maybe should check to see if there are any firmware upgrades for the model that you are using.
Thanks for the tips. I had the same problem which started on 17 Oct as those guys and had to use Singnet proxy server for my desktops and laptops, as guided by Singnet Call Centre. The trouble is that there is no way to fix proxy server for the TV.

Reset to factory default, reboot, all tried. Anyway everything is switch off when not in use.

Checked before. Firmware is current.

Will try with my 3 yr old Prolink modem, which was replaced because it reset by itself several times recently.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Master Member

Btw, what is your current modem?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

Btw, what is your current modem?
It's D-Link DSL 2640B.

And thanks a lot for you tips. Just tested with the old modem and it WORKED.

Next is to see my desktops and laptops can do away with the proxy setting.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #11

i was still contemplating of whether to get the smart TV...

Can your model can covert from 2d to 3d? is it good ? tks
draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Master Member

It's D-Link DSL 2640B.

And thanks a lot for you tips. Just tested with the old modem and it WORKED.

Next is to see my desktops and laptops can do away with the proxy setting.
You're most welcome... if your TV can do it, I'm sure your desktops/laptops can too...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #13

You're most welcome... if your TV can do it, I'm sure your desktops/laptops can too...
Yes you are right...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #14

i was still contemplating of whether to get the smart TV...

Can your model can covert from 2d to 3d? is it good ? tks
It's only 2d. Sorry can't comment because stop watching TV long time ago. TV bought by my wife on her own. Maybe you should pose your question in the House of Displays forum.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #15

It's only 2d. Sorry can't comment because stop watching TV long time ago. TV bought by my wife on her own. Maybe you should pose your question in the House of Displays forum.

I read from some forum stated that 3D is good from bluRay disk only, others is not that clear and waste time and suffer for your eyes too.
Windowlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.