Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

sqgator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that! Only saw the rb50 in twin pack. But the price is too high already. How's the stability and speed for both?

No idea, I am yet to install Netgear Orbi. The best place to buy the 3-pack is Amazon UK, cheaper than here.

tskeng

Reaction score
Bought a 3 node velop. Installed it yesterday and everything swee swee.

I stay in a 5 room HDB flat but due to the position where I usually use my devices that require wifi, my trust old ac68U couldn't help. I used all 3 nodes.

Surprised that I was able to manage my velop remotely via the linksys app.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bought a 3 node velop. Installed it yesterday and everything swee swee.

I stay in a 5 room HDB flat but due to the position where I usually use my devices that require wifi, my trust old ac68U couldn't help. I used all 3 nodes.

Surprised that I was able to manage my velop remotely via the linksys app.

yeah via smart wifi account, all linksys routers supporting it will be able to manage remotely..

genosypheus

Reaction score
Hi all
Need some advices on strange issues in bridge mode.
Current setup: ONT>EA9200>velop x3. But when I check into EA9200, I can only see 3 velop nodes and no other devices. How to rectify this issue? There are abt 20 devices connected to velop before switching to bridge mode. I already off the EA9200 wifi and no other settings done except as advised in linksys instructions of setup bridge etc. But I still not able to rectify this issue of no devices showing up at main router. Internet connection is up n running despite this cosmetic issue. Weird. Any advice would be deeply appreciated!!! Thanks.

Im looking to buy EA9500 as main router, then connect my 3 existing Velop on bridged mode to it, so that i can have full access to the management via one single iphone Linksys app.

So is your issue solved? If not... i wont dare commit to a Linksys router with Linksys app support....

genosypheus

Reaction score
anyone here has their Velops connected in bridged mode to a Linksys main router that suppports Smart-wifi Linksys app?

when you open up the app, what do you see? will it by default show the main router admin page, or the Velop admin page? or will it show you a menu to select either the main router or Velop?

care to show some screenshots? thanks!

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depend son what linksys router you use. Linksys smart WiFi wotuters will support smart WiFi accounts in which its cloud based.

I'm using ea9300 with velop. Both are linked to. My smart wifi account. So when I log into smart WiFi account via linksys app, I can choose between my router or my velop. By default when you launch the app, it automatically connects to the last conndcted device. If u wish to switch device on linksys app, u can also do so.

The issue comes in when u want local access, you will have to manually log into each device when u want to access them.

That being said, my velop on bridged mode does work well with ea9300.

anyone here has their Velops connected in bridged mode to a Linksys main router that suppports Smart-wifi Linksys app?

when you open up the app, what do you see? will it by default show the main router admin page, or the Velop admin page? or will it show you a menu to select either the main router or Velop?

care to show some screenshots? thanks!

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linksys smart wifi routers will have 2 types of access. One is via local access in which u key in the password via a lan computer or mobile phone connected to it via WiFi. Another type is via Internet in which you can use the app to access the router interface anywhere in the world.

not quite sure what u mean, can rephrase? what is local access? how to manually log into each device?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes :) in bridge mode

even in bridged mode, you can also access via app (using smart wifi account, or using local access).

If you are intending to use local access via laptop or mobile device connected to it via wifi, you need to find out the IP address as it will not be the default one in bridged mode.

If you are using the linksys app, it doesn't matter as the app will automatically scan for the velop..

genosypheus

Reaction score
have successfully split my 3 Velops in bridge mode ethernet backhaul setup into 2 SSIDs, one for 2.4 ghz and one for 5 ghz.

all wireless devices can tap on to the 5ghz SSID, no more unwanted handoff to 2.4 ghz, no more unwanted drop in speed :) Loving it!

but...only 1 wireless device somehow just cant get connected to neither the 2.4 ghz SSID nor the 5 ghz SSID.... my IP cam: Sineoji PT713V.... very weird

anyone encounter similar connection issue after splitting to 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz ?

mooncake52

Reaction score
failed to obtain IP address

got me a 3 node Velop yesterday, but struggling to set up in bridge mode.

original config is:

Netgear Nighthawk >> HP 24 port switch >> Velop 3 parent via LAN + 2 wireless child nodes.

this worked ok, but because of distance, wireless child nodes v slow.

One of the child nodes can be plugged into LAN. So what I did was change whole system to bridge mode, then plug in LAN cable to second child node.

Now, devices on child nodes fail to assign IP address to devices trying to connect.

What am I doing wrong. I read elsewhere can set up the LAN connected nodes BOTH as parents BUT then have different wifi networks, ie not proper mesh.

Any ideas bros ?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You don't have to set up bridge mode. It works when you plug the child nodes to the parent node directly..

Now u have to reset the system altogether to make sure these nodes are properly configured...

got me a 3 node Velop yesterday, but struggling to set up in bridge mode.

original config is:

Netgear Nighthawk >> HP 24 port switch >> Velop 3 parent via LAN + 2 wireless child nodes.

this worked ok, but because of distance, wireless child nodes v slow.

One of the child nodes can be plugged into LAN. So what I did was change whole system to bridge mode, then plug in LAN cable to second child node.

Now, devices on child nodes fail to assign IP address to devices trying to connect.

What am I doing wrong. I read elsewhere can set up the LAN connected nodes BOTH as parents BUT then have different wifi networks, ie not proper mesh.

Any ideas bros ?

mooncake52

Reaction score
You don't have to set up bridge mode. It works when you plug the child nodes to the parent node directly..

Now u have to reset the system altogether to make sure these nodes are properly configured...

I managed to solve the problem, fwiw. I did it by

- reset all nodes and set them up one by one starting with the first (hard wired) parent node.
- switch to bridge mode
- plug in LAN cable to second node (child)

And it worked.

The problem I had beforehand was I was trying to set up one of the child nodes while a LAN cable connected to the primary network was plugged in. That must have caused some conflict when switching to bridge mode.

Working fine now, and the two nodes that are hardwired have spectacular speed, the non wired as expected less so but satisfactory.

akjazz

Reaction score
I currently have the RT-AC3200 router, can I use it with the Velop ?
Thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.