Like Tree7Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #436
Master Member

Using hub fibre

Which isp are you using?

The last paragraph depends on the wifi coverage at that point. The linksys app will tell you if it's suitable or not.

Old 13-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #437

Hello Velop users,

I have been reading this helpful thread from the beginning as I am considering getting the Velop (2-pack) for my 2 story apartment.

For starters, it seems that most if not all of you have placed the parent/first node next to or near the router. My router is currently placed in a bedroom downstairs and I would like to know if I can place the parent/first node in the living room about 6-8m away from the router via cable. The reason being that the wifi coverage is very poor in the living room and by having the Velop parent/first node located more centrally, it will improve things. Logically there shouldn't be any degradation of signal (as connection is via wired) but would like to confirm with the more knowledgeable guys here.

The 2nd node will be placed on the 2nd floor connected by wire to handle the wifi coverage upstairs.

Thanks in advance.
bbturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #438
Supremacy Member

Hello Velop users,

I have been reading this helpful thread from the beginning as I am considering getting the Velop (2-pack) for my 2 story apartment.

For starters, it seems that most if not all of you have placed the parent/first node next to or near the router. My router is currently placed in a bedroom downstairs and I would like to know if I can place the parent/first node in the living room about 6-8m away from the router via cable. The reason being that the wifi coverage is very poor in the living room and by having the Velop parent/first node located more centrally, it will improve things. Logically there shouldn't be any degradation of signal (as connection is via wired) but would like to confirm with the more knowledgeable guys here.

The 2nd node will be placed on the 2nd floor connected by wire to handle the wifi coverage upstairs.

Thanks in advance.
U have lan trunked in the first floor and from the first to second floor?

Your suggestion will work well.
kero89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #439

Yes, you can move your Velop nose to living room by using a 8m cable. BTW, You don't an extra router, velop is a router. Just connect Velop parent node to your ONT modem via an Ethernet cable. Since Velop is capable to handle ~1Gbps signal, make sure that you have a good enough cable (e.g Cat 6).

Hello Velop users,

Thanks in advance.
somewhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #440
Arch-Supremacy Member

Linksys velop supports MU-MIMO which can penetrate thru thick wall and it supersede 2.4 and 5GHz ac signal in other words there is no need to select either of the ac signal to login to the router. Thus velop is ezy to use even for novice users
5star_pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #441

Thank you for the quick replies bros (Somewhat & Kero89).

My apmt, which is 20 years old, unfortunately does not have any trucking/cat6 cabling etc throughout. I intend to lay myself as I was quoted about $200-$280 each point

From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom A
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B

Cross my fingers that it'll be straight forward.
Old 13-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #442

Thank you for the quick replies bros (Somewhat & Kero89).

My apmt, which is 20 years old, unfortunately does not have any trucking/cat6 cabling etc throughout. I intend to lay myself as I was quoted about $200-$280 each point

From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B

Cross my fingers that it'll be straight forward.
May be you should test your Velop nodes with wireless connection first?

Get three nodes Velop, put parent node near your modem, 2nd node at living room and 3rd at 2nd floor. See whether the speed is acceptable to you. See if there is any wifi dead spot. Try to make sure that the 2nd node and the 3rd node are connect directly to the parent node. If it is not possible, then relocate your parent node by using cable.

Laying cable is very troublesome. Mesh wifi like Velop is created to solve this problem. Unless you are really hardcore on the wifi speed, Velop nodes with wireless connection should be sufficed for your normal usage.
Old 13-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #443
Arch-Supremacy Member

Mu-Mimo does not overcome physical constraints. It merely overcome the fact that traditional wifi routers can only talk to one client at one time, hence the slow down if there are many clients with ongoing traffic at the same time..

Linksys velop supports MU-MIMO which can penetrate thru thick wall and it supersede 2.4 and 5GHz ac signal in other words there is no need to select either of the ac signal to login to the router. Thus velop is ezy to use even for novice users
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #444

Somewhat, I think that's actually a good suggestion to try wireless connection first for the 2nd node onward. If speed is stable and acceptable, it would save me a ton of work.

I am however a bit confused about your comment in bold, do you mean pairing to parent or connecting directly using cable?

Actually I'm thinking of buying the 2-pack as the 3-pack seems rather expensive. 3-pack is USD500 vs 2-pack for USD320 at Amazon with free shipping.

May be you should test your Velop nodes with wireless connection first?

Get three nodes Velop, put parent node near your modem, 2nd node at living room and 3rd at 2nd floor. See whether the speed is acceptable to you. See if there is any wifi dead spot. Try to make sure that the 2nd node and the 3rd node are connect directly to the parent node. If it is not possible, then relocate your parent node by using cable.

Laying cable is very troublesome. Mesh wifi like Velop is created to solve this problem. Unless you are really hardcore on the wifi speed, Velop nodes with wireless connection should be sufficed for your normal usage.
Old 13-09-2017, 10:34 PM   #445

Somewhat, I think that's actually a good suggestion to try wireless connection first for the 2nd node onward. If speed is stable and acceptable, it would save me a ton of work.

I am however a bit confused about your comment in bold, do you mean pairing to parent or connecting directly using cable?

Actually I'm thinking of buying the 2-pack as the 3-pack seems rather expensive. 3-pack is USD500 vs 2-pack for USD320 at Amazon with free shipping.
No, I mean pairing them wirelessly. 3rd node can choose to connect to parent node or 2nd node, depending on their strength of signal.
Old 13-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #446

Interesting. So what does overcome physical contraints? - which I'm sure is my biggest issue now.

Mu-Mimo does not overcome physical constraints.

Old 13-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #447

Ah ok.. I understand now. So it should be 1-2 and 1-3 pairing and not 1-2-3.

Thanks Somewhat

No, I mean pairing them wirelessly. 3rd node can choose to connect to parent node or 2nd node, depending on their strength of signal.
Old 14-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #448

Hi bbturbo, I just read you story below.

anyway for Velop, you need to pair them wirelessly first, then you can posistion it to the desired location and plug you LAN cable. Velop will automatically detects the backhaul whether its wired or wireless.

"From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B"

looking from your situation, I would suggest two option:
1. 1st node to replace you ISP router with Velop. put 2nd node at living room, put 3rd unit at level 2 in between bedroom A and B. - > improves coverage in your living room as well as covering your level 2.
2. Run Velop as bridge mode, put 1st node at living room, 2nd node @ bedroom A, 3rd node @ bedroom B -> this will give you better coverage. You can either choose to leave you main router SSID on/off. its up to you.

both option can run wireless or wired. for stability of course I will recommend you to run wired, but wireless backhaul is awesome as well.

Ah ok.. I understand now. So it should be 1-2 and 1-3 pairing and not 1-2-3.

Thanks Somewhat
JmatoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #449
Master Member

Does Velop support smart devices like Belkin smart switches, Google Home well? These devices weren't known to work well with routers that offer seamless switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.
fi5hbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #450
Master Member

In the end I think I will go for Asus ac3200 to improve on my range and speed as my existing ac66 acguzlt on 5ghz at the Ulu kitchen loo can get signal on iPad and MacBook Pro but not iphone but 2.4ghz works ok no issue

Before on dlink 868 no Way on 5ghz can accesss it and 2.4 is Low signal

So ac3200 should have a longer range a much better router since similar price to google wifi too
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.