Velop2 to velop1 and velop3
Velop3 to velop2 and switch
Switch to assorted devices like printers and NAS

Distance:
velop 1 to 2 : 10m
Velop 2 to 3 : 5m
Velop 3 to switch : 15m
Switch to other devices : immediate nearby

Distance from final NAS to internet = 10 + 5 + 15 = 30m but since someone mentioned big company their cables r also very long so I m now assured my NAS cloud performance would not be affected

If only one velop has 3 ports then it solves all my problem lol. My switch can connect to velop1 and everything within the living room. No need loop back from velop3

IMG_20180313_112904.jpg

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks for ur tips and clarifications. I'll adopt this method :

Ont to velop1
Velop1 to Ont and velop2

Distance:
velop 1 to 2 : 10m
Velop 2 to 3 : 5m
Velop 3 to switch : 15m
Switch to other devices : immediate nearby

Distance from final NAS to internet = 10 + 5 + 15 = 30m but since someone mentioned big company their cables r also very long so I m now assured my NAS cloud performance would not be affected

If only one velop has 3 ports then it solves all my problem lol. My switch can connect to velop1 and full stop. No need loop back from velop3

How is your wireing done? Do our get 2 port per room In your house? And does it all lead back to a "central location"?

What you are suggesting requires each room to be connected to another like living room to 1st bedroom to 2nd bedroom and to 3rd bedroom.

Most likely the wireing is done in a way that all of them leads back to your store room or living room. (From bedroom to living room and from 2nd bedroom also to living room etc)

example
7MguWmD

https://imgur.com/a/CJ2mL

Last edited:

_h2so4

Reaction score
I'm doing trunking cabling but I don't intend to end the cable via faceplate. So it is actually just a network cable w rj45 at both ends readily plug into any devices (but hidden in plastic trunking)

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I'm doing trunking cabling but I don't intend to end the cable via faceplate. So it is actually just a network cable w rj45 at both ends readily plug into any devices (but hidden in plastic trunking)

I see. Not sure if I would personally design the trunking just for the velop system. Network equipment changes constantly. Trunking stays put for much longer.

_h2so4

Reaction score
I see. Not sure if I would personally design the trunking just for the velop system. Network equipment changes constantly. Trunking stays put for much longer.

In any case, the cable r in place if I need the v2 and v3 to come to v1 / main living room directly.only need to skip the 5m between v2 and v3

_h2so4

Reaction score
Then the cable form your room to the kitchen is unnecessary?

Using this method, I need the room to kitchen cable:

Ont to velop1
Velop1 to Ont and velop2

But for future if there is any change in technology, I can just abandon the room to kitchen cable n move on.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Using this method, I need the room to kitchen cable:

Ont to velop1
Velop1 to Ont and velop2

But for future if there is any change in technology, I can just abandon the room to kitchen cable n move on.

I was thinking on the lines of

ONT > velop 1 > switch > everything else.
This should have less single point of failure.

_h2so4

Reaction score
I was thinking on the lines of

ONT > velop 1 > switch > everything else.
This should have less single point of failure.

Yes, u r right. N that is the normal way too. But that method i will need to set the velop as Bridge mode, and I will lose some functions from velop. Dhcp will be assigned by the switch instead of router

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Yes, u r right. N that is the normal way too. But that method i will need to set the velop as Bridge mode, and I will lose some functions from velop. Dhcp will be assigned by the switch instead of router

Didn't know the velop had such limitations. Seems like a complicated way to use ethernet instead of WiFi backhaul. Maybe next time can upgrade to a normal router and access points.

_h2so4

Reaction score
Didn't know the velop had such limitations. Seems like a complicated way to use ethernet instead of WiFi backhaul. Maybe next time can upgrade to a normal router and access points.

This limitation is not limited to velop. All other mesh have this problem. :s

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This limitation is not limited to velop. All other mesh have this problem. :s

Agreed, so long it's on Wi-Fi backhaul mesh will be at mercy of interference etc, unless it's on wired.

So far my velop triplets has been running tirelessly since November with no restart required. Having said that I have not updated for ages :o

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why do you want your switch connected to V3 instead of V1 ?

tidus792

Master Member
Reaction score
Has anybody managed to get this working with Singtel Fibre and using a smart switch with vlan tagging with the veelop? (Keen to set up Veelop as the primary router).

_h2so4

Reaction score
How many ports does your switch have ?
Maybe can V1 go to switch, switch to v2 and other devices etc...

This will need to set the velop into bridge mode and the switch assigns the dhcp instead. I want velop to assign it

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This will need to set the velop into bridge mode and the switch assigns the dhcp instead. I want velop to assign it

Huh ? Is yours a managed switch or normal switch ?

If ont directly goes to velop, then v1 IS the router, it's already handling the dhcp. The switch merely splits the connection into different data points.

uplinkhack

Reaction score
Help!!! Setting up Velop now with Singtel ONT. Unable to auto detect network. Am I suppose to manually input ISP settings?

Sorry quite urgent, unable to sieve through past messages so sorry if this has been discussed before.

Thanks for help!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.