M1 home BB router Asus

alex76

Reaction score
Hi,
CUrrently I'm using the RTAC56S which was given by M1 2 years ago.
When I recontract today, I got the RT-AC1200G+, it seems this new one is worst than my current router , am I right?

Should I keep using my current router or change to this new router?

Thanks for helping

bodymasterboy

Reaction score
if your current router is still serving you well, you don't have to change to the new one.... swapping it for the new router would involve a bit of work to configure it.

i've also got the same router after renewing my contract, and it's still in the carrier bag =:p

alex76

Reaction score
if your current router is still serving you well, you don't have to change to the new one.... swapping it for the new router would involve a bit of work to configure it.

i've also got the same router after renewing my contract, and it's still in the carrier bag =:p

I thought this new router is better than the old one so thought of changing it... but if it doesn't not gives any extra benefits, better keep the new one in the box haha

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When I recontract today, I got the RT-AC1200G+, it seems this new one is worst than my current router , am I right?

Thanks for helping

No, this router is a bit better than your old AC56S as it has 4 external antenna to push the wifi signal.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for helping

Are you having any wifi coverage issues at this moment of time ?
FYI, if i recall correctly RT-AC56S does have repeater mode. So it is possible to do a RT-AC1200G+ ( main router ) >>> RT-AC56S ( wifi repeater ) if you require.

alex76

Reaction score
No, this router is a bit better than your old AC56S as it has 4 external antenna to push the wifi signal.

So far I got no issue with signal problem everywhere in my house.. cos it's not big... lol

tonyc

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for helping

RT-AC56S have 128mb Flash RAM
RT-AC1200G+ only have 16mb Flash RAM

Last edited:

Solo_Apple

Reaction score
Are you having any wifi coverage issues at this moment of time ?
FYI, if i recall correctly RT-AC56S does have repeater mode. So it is possible to do a RT-AC1200G+ ( main router ) >>> RT-AC56S ( wifi repeater ) if you require.

Anyone can confirm this repeater setup?

Solo_Apple

Reaction score

JustDoLor

Reaction score
May i know in what way is the AC-1200G+ worst off?

Hi,

Thanks for helping

JustDoLor

Reaction score
RT-AC56S has larger Flash size, probably because it has more features like:
Firewall:SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
Parental control
Airtime Fairness
VPN server
AiCloud
3G/4G data sharing
Printer Server
Download Master
AiDisk file server.....
... so that may be the reason of bigger flash.

But in term of WiFi performance, I wonder if there is any difference?

(source: https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/RTAC56S/specifications/)

Firefly01

Reaction score
I know coz I have both AC56U and AC1200G+

What I wanna know is whether AC1200G+ as main and AC56U as repeater is working fine or not.

Currently I am running two AC56U, with one at repeater mode.

In theory there should be no issues. Spec-wise, the AC56U looks like it has better hardware except for the internal antenna.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Can i ask experts here... Does the Flash RAM and normal RAM size affect LAN transmission?

Firefly01

Reaction score
Can i ask experts here... Does the Flash RAM and normal RAM size affect LAN transmission?

I'm no expert, but in theory there should not be any effect, unless you have some funky routing/switching/vlan/firewall/broadcast/etc going on in your router. In any case, 1gbps translates to roughly 100+ megabytes per second. If either the sending or the receiving end is a HDD, that will be your bottleneck.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lan transmission can be lan-lan or wan-lan. The flash storage is just for firmware and apps usage while ram can be used by built in apps and system processes. In theory, your lan performance should not be affected by ram size and its hardly a limiting factor unless u attempted to run apps that are not suitable for the model..

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Both ac56s and ac1200g+ got 128mb ram. The flash storage for ac1200g+ is a typo. Cannot be 16mb flash storage one..

Basically Flash and RAM are 2 different memory for each purpose.
If the latest model do not need, manufacturer would not want to add as this will add more cost to the products itself.
Less flash memory can reduce cost.
As RAM is important hence no changed.:D

Sent from Seven Enlightenment using GAGT

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.