need help with home network

aSecret™

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my current connection as follows:

myrepublic modem -> Dlink Switch (SG105e)

Switch connects to TV and Asus Router AC88U

PC and NAS connects to Router

how to configure as such that my PC and NAS can be detected by the TV vice versa...

thanks

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please do provide more in detail as it is very hard to understand.

TP -->> ONT (modem) --> DLink Switch 5 ports HUB -> Router & TV.

HUB -->> Router ---->> PC and NAS

Details;
TV = are you using Android box or IPTV; or there is LAN port?

Just indicate what sort of arrangement do you intend to connect & have.
In this way, others may able to provide ...

aSecret™

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently it's fibre line to the Nokia modem..

Fibre -> Nokia Modem

modem -> 2 lan connection into Asus router and samsung smart TV.

Asus router -> 2 lan connection into a synology nas and pc...

I just want to configure the TV and NAS/PC into as lan network? Not sure if that's possible.

Firefly01

Reaction score
Why do you need to plug your TV directly to the modem? If you plug your TV to the AC88U, it should be able to see your PC and NAS.

aSecret™

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have to plug my tv into the switch to avoid running another lan cable from the router to my tv on the living room..The router is in my room whereas the switch/modem is in the shoebox

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the switch u using a manage or unmanaged? If managed, u must be able to do it. But if it is an unmanaged l, den u can't do anything but to follow what others have advised.

aSecret™

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the switch u using a manage or unmanaged? If managed, u must be able to do it. But if it is an unmanaged l, den u can't do anything but to follow what others have advised.

ah it's unmanaged. :( is there any other way to continue with my setup? replace the switch with another router?

Apex

Reaction score
Currently it's fibre line to the Nokia modem..

Fibre -> Nokia Modem

modem -> 2 lan connection into Asus router and samsung smart TV.

Asus router -> 2 lan connection into a synology nas and pc...

I just want to configure the TV and NAS/PC into as lan network? Not sure if that's possible.

Your so called Nokia modem = https://myrepublic.net/sg/wi-fi-routers/

I think the MR WIFI HUB or HELO is a router also.

Seems like device connected on the Asus router is consider is another network, that why your TV which is connect directly to the "modem" is not able to see your NAS and PC are it's logically consider as another network. Although physically u connect them like 1 network.

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your modem should go to your router, not a switch. If you are going to put a switch, it needs to be after your router.

moron+genius

Reaction score
I have to plug my tv into the switch to avoid running another lan cable from the router to my tv on the living room..The router is in my room whereas the switch/modem is in the shoebox
Ur tv got wifi? Can use tat instead or else using homeplugs or moca 2 have Lan connection 2 router.

aSecret™

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your modem should go to your router, not a switch. If you are going to put a switch, it needs to be after your router.

So let's say I replace my switch with a router, it'll work?

Like:

Modem -> Router1
Router1 -> TV and Router2
Router 2 -> PC and NAS

aSecret™

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your so called Nokia modem = https://myrepublic.net/sg/wi-fi-routers/

I think the MR WIFI HUB or HELO is a router also.

Seems like device connected on the Asus router is consider is another network, that why your TV which is connect directly to the "modem" is not able to see your NAS and PC are it's logically consider as another network. Although physically u connect them like 1 network.

Yep their ip is different prefix.. NAS and PC assigned with lan ip of 192.168.1.x and subnet of 255.255.255.0. TV was assigned with 172.23.x.x and subnet of 255.255.240.0.. so if let's say I can change the switch's ip and subnet to the same of the router, can it work?

-Grift-

Reaction score
Modem -> Router 1 (Router mode, wifi off) -> PC / NAS / Switch / Whatever you want

With this setup any router you place behind Router 1 just set as AP mode so that it does not do DHCP and it will all be in the same network. Essentially use the router as a wireless AP.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO,

Modem -> Router
Router -> TV
Router -> Switch -> PC & NAS

This setup will potentially lose fast wifi near PC & NAS as the router was moved away and replaced by a switch.

To improve wifi near the PC & NAS, consider to add an AP

Router -> Switch <- PC, NAS & AP

moron+genius

Reaction score
Yep their ip is different prefix.. NAS and PC assigned with lan ip of 192.168.1.x and subnet of 255.255.255.0. TV was assigned with 172.23.x.x and subnet of 255.255.240.0.. so if let's say I can change the switch's ip and subnet to the same of the router, can it work?
No need buy another router just swop switch n router. Ur switch is unmanaged it will get ip from router.

Firefly01

Reaction score

Termination point -> ONT -> Router with DHCP enabled

From there, one cable to your TV, another cable to your AC88U. Disable DHCP on your AC88U. Finish.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious wat is Netflix 4K streaming rate? 20mbps?

Netflix published the support document online stating their recommendation is 25mbps of available bandwidth.

If you stream over wifi, then you have to make sure the wifi coverage and performance is way capable of supporting the above bandwidth because wifi performance do fluctuates.

But since Netflix usually do pre-loading, so it should be quite safe even if your wifi isn't up to standard by a bit..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.