Network Interference

IAmWeiJie

Reaction score
Much thanks to all of you for helping me with my network issue. I have resolved it by following the suggestion posted here to change my channel and channel bandwidt
Now I'm happy :D with stable WiFi.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Convince yourself that it is indeed the solution.

Put back to auto and 80Mhz to confirm. :D

That's how you learn.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
After I changed my bandwidth from 80MHz to 40MHz, I have seen a speed drop from 250mbps to around 170mbps. I would gladly take the speed drop over the constant disconnection of my wireless subwoofer.
The devices on 5G network usually is all my 5G supported phones and also my laptops, but most of the time it is connected to LAN unless I'm moving it around the house.

I checked my laptop and it supports 2x2 AC wifi.
Not sure the speeds you quoted refer to the link speed or throughtput.

In case you don't know the difference, there is a link posted by SingTel in a thread in NGBN for the educational article:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go

Quote from the article:

It's Throughput That Counts - Don't get hung up trying to get the maximum link rate in normal use. Link rates drop even more quickly as signal levels decrease with AC class gear than they did with N. Different products also use different algorithms to maximize throughput and reliability. Lower link rates can produce higher throughput and more reliable connections. Use the tools and techniques in this article to measure and optimize throughput, not link rate.

Much thanks to all of you for helping me with my network issue. I have resolved it by following the suggestion posted here to change my channel and channel bandwidt
Now I'm happy :D with stable WiFi.
Happy for you too.

IAmWeiJie

Reaction score
Not sure the speeds you quoted refer to the link speed or throughtput.

In case you don't know the difference, there is a link posted by SingTel in a thread in NGBN for the educational article:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/32175-how-fast-can-your-wi-fi-go

Quote from the article:

It's Throughput That Counts - Don't get hung up trying to get the maximum link rate in normal use. Link rates drop even more quickly as signal levels decrease with AC class gear than they did with N. Different products also use different algorithms to maximize throughput and reliability. Lower link rates can produce higher throughput and more reliable connections. Use the tools and techniques in this article to measure and optimize throughput, not link rate.

Happy for you too.

That speed that I wrote there was the download speed when I tested it with speedtest on the same server.

IAmWeiJie

Reaction score
Convince yourself that it is indeed the solution.

Put back to auto and 80Mhz to confirm. :D

That's how you learn.

I changed the setting back to Automatic bandwidth few days ago , Until today I realised that the 5GHz band was very slow. Right now my 2.4GHz band is twice as fast as compared to my 5GHz band.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I changed the setting back to Automatic bandwidth few days ago , Until today I realised that the 5GHz band was very slow. Right now my 2.4GHz band is twice as fast as compared to my 5GHz band.

Slow is probably just due to perception? Distance from the router?

Your original issue was missing and dropping connection. Even Bluetooth got disconnected. Are these issues caused by the channel or bandwidth settings?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do not need to waste time, just use wifi mesh to resolve wifi issue.

Last edited:

IAmWeiJie

Reaction score
Slow is probably just due to perception? Distance from the router?

Your original issue was missing and dropping connection. Even Bluetooth got disconnected. Are these issues caused by the channel or bandwidth settings?

My router is in the living room and I was just sitting right infront of the router around 1.5m away only when it dropped.

After I changed the settings to 40MHz it seems better and did not drop at all but I changed back to automatic and it started all over again...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.